• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nice day out and about in NYC

Fat Guy

Perhaps food anniversaries don't have to be mutually exclusive. Perhaps the 8th was the 2-3 Pound Lobster Anniversary, and at 15 we'll have the 6-7 Pound Lobster Anniversary, etc. Certainly the 50th is reserved for a very high grade of caviar, though.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Congrats, and I'm glad I was right about the chicken. I wondered, on the basis of a few dumplings, whether I wasn't imagining it just because it was halal.

I'm sure they were setting up that carnival when i was there to. Maybe it's all about travelling, not arriving. Did you run into Alan Hevesi?

Happy Adversary!

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Hmm... we just had our second this year and did it at Daniel. Foie gras with apricot for the second? Oh yes. It's all downhill after that anyway, right? Kidding (gulp) I hope.

Edit: In re-reading this post, I did not intend to imply that we "did it" at Daniel for our anniversary. We just went there for dinner. I swear.

Edit:  In re-reading this post, I did not intend to imply that we "did it" at Daniel for our anniversary.  We just went there for dinner.  I swear.

That can lead to an intersting topic - which restaurants (if any) in New York have private rooms that are really private?

Happy anniversary FG.

M

Happy anniversary, Ellen and Steven - and many more anniversaries to come!

Your stroll about the city sounds like a fine way to enjoy the day

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

FG - Congratulations, sounds like you had a great day. What is the eighth - paper, wood, tile? I never knew that stuff.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

FG, bigtime congrats!, and you knew this was coming...

Anniversary - Verlanes

On a Wedding Anniversary - John Cale

Happy Anniversary - Roy Rogers w S. Plotzkie on spoons

Anniversary of Love - Teenage Wolfpack

All the Critics Love U in New York - Prince

Note that Stew Leonard's in Yonkers is also doing the $4.99 lobster thing. That's the per pound price for the "chicks" so you can expect to average about $6 per whole lobster.

Also at Shop Rite in Paramus, Keller's butter is on sale for $1.99 per pound. I kid you not. If you have the freezer space, stock up, as this is among the best butters for baking as well as general use.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)