• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Check out my new BBQ.....

CRUZMISL

Hi All,

I got my new BBQ straight off the boat from Indonesia. It weighs over 500lbs and is truly a work of art (IMHO). I has another brand of ceramic cooker before this one (although I don't think portland cement and volcanic ash constitutes "ceramic") and comparing the two is like comparing a Lada to a Ferrari.

It operates off coal or gas. The dome is self opening by a spring so no effort is required to open it. It's also one of the only ceramic cookers to have a rotisserie. Any questions feel free to ask.

Joe

day5.jpg

day6.jpg

It works like a traditional western grill even though it appears like it doesn't. Prices range from $1064 to $1976 depending on what options you choose. I'm not sure if it's OK to post outside links to the company but I'll do it anyway and if it's not OK a mod can edit my post.

www.komodokamado.com

Here are pics of the inside. The coals sit in the bottom grate. If you elect to use gas the burner is just below the lower grate. I'd take more but I am experienceing the remnants of Ernesto.

inside7.jpg

inside8.jpg

I have friends that own the large Kamado in the black finish. It has produced some of the juiciest, most tender smoked meats I have ever eaten. The best part is that they can calibrate the heat setting, walk away from it for 8-plus hours and come back to extraordinary fare. Me, I have to hobble along and check my smoker several times an hour because the temperature is all over the map.

Very interesting. Did you order extra grills?

In the photos it appears that the grills provided will not have a very long life span.

Is this a concern?

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Very interesting.  Did you order extra grills? 

In the photos it appears that the grills provided will not have a very long life span. 

Is this a concern?

Jmahl

The grills are made of 1/4" stainless steel. They should last a very very long time. I had my old Kamado for 6 years and the grills were similarly constructed. I sold it with the original grill. It wasn't new and shiny like mine is but was certainly not anywhere near worn out.

Joe

Edited by CRUZMISL (log)

I have friends that own the large Kamado in the black finish.  It has produced some of the juiciest, most tender smoked meats I have ever eaten.  The best part is that they can calibrate the heat setting, walk away from it for 8-plus hours and come back to extraordinary fare.  Me, I have to hobble along and check my smoker several times an hour because the temperature is all over the map.

That's a beautiful ceramic cooker. However, if you'd like a BBQ smoker that will hold heat nicely and not break the bank (or your back moving it!) try the Weber Smokey Mountain cooker. Not as versatile for high heat or cold weather cooking as a ceramic, but $200 and it holds temperature beautifully. I've left mine for 4 - 6 hours at a time without problem.

Also, there's a comprehensive fan web site that makes the learning curve immediate. Just follow the directions given here: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ There's also a link to Amazon to purchase it.

I love mine and have achieved great BBQ results from the first time I fired it up.

I have always wondered how to cook indirectly on a ceramic cooker. I remeber scanning the BGE forums and there was nerry a word on it. Do you just keep the meat off to the side or do you use a water pan? Also did you mean coal or hard wood charcoal. I have often thought about goine this route mainly to avoid the hassle of dealing with all the ash from charcoal briquettes. By the way, the thing is gorgeous. I bet you could cook a mean pizza in there also. Charlie

My unit comes with a lower grill and a 1 1/4" thick pizza stone. I wrap the stone in foil and place it on the lower rack. This way the heat is diffused by the stone. It works really well. As far as the coal is concerned I only use lump hardwood charcoal. I have no idea what is on the ingredient list of briquettes so I prefer not to use them. I haven't tried pizza yet but if it turns out like the rest of my food I'll be happy.

Joe

This type of cooker is called a Kamodo cooker, it's ancient Japanese...there is a more standard cooker on the market than that pretty one called the "big green egg" which is pretty popular in bbq circles. I had the pleasure of cooking on one of these monsters the other day. let's just say it's quite easy to get up to 1,000 degrees, or stay at 200...mighty cool, you're pretty cooker...and swimming pool...where'd you say you lived? :laugh:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I am very curious how the kamodo would handle all the grease from a pork butt or whole untrimmed brisket. I would think that you might get some pretty dynamic flare ups with the pizza stone set up. I mean where is all the grease going to go. And we're talking allot of grease. ch

I've cooked literally hundreds of pounds on my old Kamado with no flare ups or other problems. To maintain 225 to 250 degrees requires only smoldering coal. Since the airflow is restricted there is no where near enough oxygen avaialable for a flare up. For ribs I don't use a tray but for pork butts I sometimes do but not always. It just makes clean up a bit easier.