• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

food & bed near Eurostar calais

Gary Marshall

when travelling to france i tend to take the tunnel to calais, as it's a long drive from my house in York i sometimes stay in folkstone overnight and take an early train the next day, however it would be better to actually get to france and stay there overnight.

Calais looks a bit of a foodie wasteland according to michelin and i was wondering if anyone knew of any hotels/reatuarants with secure car parking, within about 30 mins drive, doesn't necessarily have to be gourmet food a decent brasserie/bistro would be fine, with accomodation even better!

you don't win friends with salad

We used to go to St Omer from Calais which is about 30 mins drive, it is a bit more picturesque than Calais, plus there is a decent restaurant - Le cygne - although that was several years ago - not sure about the hotel situation. A search on the michelin website also reveals Chateau Tilques which I think used to have a star and Moulin de Mombreux in Lumbres which again used to have a star I think.

Gault Millau search shows Meurin in Bethune (17/20!) and La Brocante in Wimille (16/20) which I have been to and is not too bad. If you can get to Montreuil you have Chateau de Montreuil which is also a hotel and full of us Brits and Auberge de la Grenouillere at Madelaine sous Montreuil (down the hill from Montreuil proper).

HTH

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

Not Exactly what you are asking for, but on your way back, you might want to stop at these two places vs. some "schlepping" from other areas.

Calais stores

La Maison du Fromage, in rue André-Gerschel. December is an excellent season for Roquefort, Camembert, Pont-l'Évêque, Brie, Comté, Mont d'Or as runny as you could wish, Maroilles (the typical cheese of Northern France), Parmesan or Dutch Mimolette. For goat's cheese, it's best to wait until springtime.

Chez Fred, the Boulangerie-Pâtisserie in Boulevard Jacquart, a short distance from the Hôtel de Ville, is famed throughout Calais for its brioches and its crusty French loaves. The local speciality, the "Calais", is a flaky pastry with almond biscuits garnished with coffee cream.

Peter

I know that neck of France about as well as I know the left side of Mars, but I have dined and slept in Bethune at le Meurin. I suspect it's a good hour from Calais and as I recall, I left my car in the open public parking across the street from the inn. I don't recall if there was another option. If you don't mind less than secure parking and a longer drive, I can assure you of a night's stop in a foodie oasis. I thought it a little inconsistent for a two star and found the hostess a little forgetful about our wine, but the overall meal was very good and far worse could be forgotten in memory of the extraordinary eel in kriek sauce. The rooms upstairs over the restaurant--you ascend a staircase in the restaurant lounge--could best be described as guest house, rather than hotel, but the grand bed was very comfortable and came with a huge comforter and too much central heat. We actually had to crack open the window. The bathroom, with stall shower was shipshape.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Only 25 km from Calais is the Chateau de Cocove, a rather splendid 18th century chateau converted to a hotel. It's part of the Best Western group, which means it's low in snob value but quite adequate in efficiency and competance. As a hotel (not a restaurant) it rates a mention in GaultMillau, but the food is, I think, quite edible -- particularly after the long drive from York. In general atmosphere it's a hellofa long ways from Calais. Details at http://www.hotels-tradition.com/cocove/

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

I agree, Calais itsef is a bit of a culural wasteland but their are some real gems with 30 minutes.

First of all there's a great Chateau on the left hand side of the road just before you enter St. Omer called Chateau Tilques (03 21 88 99) which is very 'French' even if it is a Best Western (don't know the Best Western chain in Europe, I agree it's dwn-market inthe States but not s in Europe, in fact they have many small - very un-american chain-style - charming hotels). Food is good to.

But if it's Real food you MUST visit:

L’Atlantic Digue de Mer, Wimereux (21-32 41 01). Not cheap but truly excellent. Must book. Also nice hotel overlooking the Atlantic just 5 minutes from Boulogne.

I second L’Auberge de la Grenouillbere La Madelaine-s6us-Montreuil, Montreuilsur-Mer (21-06 07 22). Better than the Chateau Montreuil IMHO.

If you want Fruits De Mer (seafood platter on ice) then you must go to

Aux Pecheurs d'Etaples 31 Grande Rue, Boulogne-sur-Mer (21-30 29 29). You actually go through the fishmongers to get to the tables, so it's fresh.

Good luck, you'll have a nice time there if you're selective.