• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need a great recipe for Cornish Pasties

The key to it tasting good is lard and beef suet for the shortening, as I understand. The rest of the components are pretty basic.

This one looks pretty serious:

http://www.greenchronicle.com/connies_corn...rnish_pasty.htm

as does this one:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1618,140181-250194,00.html

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My Mother learned how to make pasties from my Dad's Mother, and they were one of her specialties for years.

Both the recipes cited look pretty good. I agree that lard is the key ingredient in making a good crust that will protect the pasty even if it's dropped down a mine shaft!

SB (You know you're getting authentic pasty when "with" or "without" referes to rutabaga.)

One of the latest issues of Saveur magazine had an article about them. Let me see if I can find it.

ok, i found it. Its not on the website. Its from the May 2006 issue

If you still want it, let me know. Its a lot to type out and it looks very similar to the other two recipes.

ps: I can send you the entire article by snail mail if you wish.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Thanks for all the input so far. I was in Cornwall a couple of times and LOVE the pasties (and the sausage rolls and the meat pies and all those other great things). I want to take the pasties and make them into little tiny tiny pasties for hors d'oeuvres! Hope it works!

When we climbed Cadair Idris mountain in the Snowdonia National Park in Wales we bought pasties in the bakery shop in Dolgellau, Wales at the base of the mountain for our lunch. They are in other places than Cornwall in GB. They were very good pasties at that. We usually always stop for them in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

When we climbed Cadair Idris mountain in the Snowdonia National Park in Wales we bought pasties in the bakery shop in Dolgellau, Wales at the base of the mountain for our lunch. They are in other places than Cornwall in GB. They were very good pasties at that. We usually always stop for them in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Yes, you can find them all over England in some shape or form. But they originated in Cornwall. The earliest mention of the pasty was around 1100.

Does anyone know if there are any significant differences between traditional cornish pasties and the pasties you find in Michigan's Upper Pennisula?

Madison, Wisconsin has a shop that sells pasties next to the capitol. They offer unusual varieties including pizza versions, greek pasties, etc. Is this unheard of in great britian? or have the cornish been internationalizing their fare, too?

I can't imagine any self-respecting Cornishman (or woman) making, much less eating, a pizza pasty! :raz: You might find them in flavors like that in some wacky London take-away, but I'm pretty sure the pasties in Cornwall are still of the traditional variety. I'll do a little study when I'm there in September :smile: and will report back.

I may be in Nashville but my heart's in Cornwall

I have eaten pasties in the Upper Peninsula in probably over a half dozen shops. They all served basic pasties as was outlined in the web site referenced in message 2 in this thread. I would guess they stick to pretty much traditonal there. They started with Cornish miners in the UP. I imagine the farther away you get the more bizarre they get with the break from tradition. Thus pizza pasties in Madison to appeal to a young college population that may have no idea what a pasty is.

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog