• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Purchasing Food Saver bags/rolls

moosnsqrl

Having recently found a Food Saver and with produce running amok, I'm in the market for supplies. Since I haven't used this preservation method before, I'm clueless about what options, sizes, etc to go for. I've looked for them in various stores in the area without success. I've looked online and found them for sale from a variety of sites (including eBay) and will probably go that route in the future but I really want some today (yesterday would've been better).

Where do you typically find these? And any advice on sizes, shapes that work best for certain foods or purposes? I see them listed as both bags and rolls. And, if I want to do sous vide once I've gotten up to speed with this contraption, will the same bags work for that as for freezing veg? Any help with shortening my learning curve will be appreciated!

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

WalMart carries them here. I don't know how the prices compare to other places.

The bags are extremely stury and even re-useable, so I would think they'd be fine for sous vide.

I prefer the rolls to the bags as they allow me to cut the size that is most appropriate.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I get mine at Sam's (Costco would be about the same price I would guess) and they are really inexpensive there. Cheap, actually.

And they are plenty strong enough for sous vide

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

More info might be found in here:

"The Food Saver/Vacuum Sealer Thread"

You might also consider PM'ing Rachel and Jason Perlow since they have the high end Tilia Foodsaver and have been there, done that.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

You might also consider PM'ing Rachel and Jason Perlow since they have the high end Tilia Foodsaver and have been there, done that.

Thanks, Tol. I must've fat-fingered my attempted search - I couldn't believe there wasn't a thread but just figured it was conducted under a brand name or something. My faith in our comprehensiveness (is that a word?) has been restored.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Kohl's carries the Foodsavers and bags and other supplies. So does Tuesday Morning, but with varying regularity. Both stores have locations in the KC area.

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Kohl's carries the Foodsavers and bags and other supplies.  So does Tuesday Morning, but with varying regularity.  Both stores have locations in the KC area.

Bob R in OKC

Thanks for the ideas. I would not have thought to look in either of those places. There's a Kohl's 10 minutes from me (when the orange barrels aren't in season) and according to their website they have lots of accessories, too. That giant sucking noise you hear is . . .

M.F.K. Fisher

Thanks, Tol. I must've fat-fingered my attempted search - I couldn't believe there wasn't a thread but just figured it was conducted under a brand name or something. My faith in our comprehensiveness (is that a word?) has been restored.

Yeah, I couldn't find it under "Foodsaver*" and I knew there was a previous discussion so I tried "+food +saver*" and found it.

The last time I was at Costco they featured the latest consumer version of the Foodsaver (the one in the newest infommercial). I was wondering how it compared to the Pro II version Rachel & Jason Perlow have when I noticed that there is now a Pro Version III on the Tilia web site.

Decisions...decisions...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

There's also a really good foodsaver group on Yahoo groups. People post sales and best prices fairly frequently. I think you can browse the messages without actually joining.

I have the Pro II Foodsaver and use it for just about everything, including sealing my disposable pastry bags. I buy bags with the cross hatching at a restaurant supply, they come in a variety of sizes, and cost much less than the bags or rolls from Tilia.

I took the pedestrian route for this initial supply (Kohl's where, BTW, all of the supplies/accessories are %20 off now). It occurred to me that, as I have a $4 thrift store appliance, I should make sure it actually works before I loaded up on supplies.

Thanks for all of the assistance. As soon as I get my media digest posted, I'll probably put everything but the cats in cryovac. Hmmm, wait a minute :wink: . Glad I got the 11-inch size.

M.F.K. Fisher