• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need mussels!

This weekend, baring rain, I hold my annual paella party. A paella is not a paella without mussels and, if possible, clams. I usually buy the shellfish at the downtown T&T on the morning of the party, but I'm a bit worried: there's a red tide warning in effect. Would T&T's mussels be safe? If not, where could I get them?

Many thanks in advance for advice.

Edited by Paul B (log)

Paul B

Mussels that come from red tide areas cannot be harvested or sold, period. So any legit business selling mussels is bringing them in, probably from the East Coast.

I popped into Rodney's Oyster Bar yesterday for a quick drink and a bite and they were missing some things from their early menu like the $1. oysters as those were local ones but you could get all kinds of other varieties that were brought in from other areas.

Just don't go scraping them off the pilings around Granville Island and you will be ok.

Red tide is over (for now). We have, in the last 2 days, started serving kusshi, chef creek, stellar bay, effingham and a few others. Glad that's over. We've been carrying a few oysters from washington state lately (besides kumamoto, which are always great) and frankly, they did not compare to our local oysters.

Derek

Red tide is over (for now).  We have, in the last 2 days, started serving kusshi, chef creek, stellar bay, effingham and a few others.  Glad that's over.  We've been carrying a few oysters from washington state lately (besides kumamoto, which are always great) and frankly, they did not compare to our local oysters.

It's not over yet.

The shellfish ban is slowly being lifted in a few locations around the coast, usually beginning with oysters and ending with clams. Looking briefly at this makes me think that maybe 90% of the coast is still closed to oyster harvesting.

Good luck!

-- Matt.

Thankfuly the Effinghams were not affected by red tide although my regular shellfish supplier (Whaletown Bay on Cortez) was, but as of last saturday he was cleared to ship again. West coast Van Isle mussels (mediteranean) and manila clams from Sooke were also available for the most part. With the extra long spawn this year and then red tide I wonder how producers like Saltspring and Whaletown can stay in business. Now if only salmon prices would come down a bit all will be well again in the seafood business.

Colin

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef

The Effinghams are blessed due to their location. As they are grown on the West Coast of Vancouver Island as opposed to the East, they are usually unaffected by any closures due to PSP (paralytic shellfish poisoning)

Before I left BC, I was serving Malpeques from PEI, Skookums and Totten Inlets from South Totten Inlet in Puget Sound.

The closures won't last forever and you should still be able to buy some nice locally grown Gallos.

I am surprised that Joe's is carrying Kumomotos though.

They are not usually that good or even available during the summer months.

I am going to start posting a thread in the Eastern Canada forum about my adventures this summer in Prince Edward Island where I am working at the Claddagh Oyster House in Charlottetown. www.claddaghoysterhouse.com

I will be writing about the culinary choices here and of course, the various oyster and shellfish farms I will be visiting during my working holiday.

A good summer to everyone and stay tuned.

Keep on Shucking

Oyster Guy

Edited by Oyster Guy (log)

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

I ended up on Saturday morning at T&T. Their mussels were from the east coast. Bought a couple of pounds but they were disappointing: at least half of them turned out to be duds. Ah well.

Paul B