• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Time to let the cat out of the bag

Chris Cognac

I saw one of the ad's, it was cute...I know that have about 5, including a cool black and white 40's detective nior style one....

I am off to NYC in the morning to shoot that show, then on to DC....you folks are all welcome to come watch and or be in the background...drop me an e mail if you want location times.....hope you guys like it, we found some great places....

I finally caught an ad yesterday and I'm really looking forward to seeing the show.

When are you coming to San Francisco? I'd love to go watch and whatnot.

Chris, how did you pick the places you planning on hitting in New York? I'm not familiar with Bleecker St. Pizza, and I can't imagine what the "curry place" would be. Brick Lane???

Michael aka "Pan"

I did some intel gathering when I was here earlier...the curry place got axed.....Bleeker St was told to me by the guys working the subway maint detail, a few cops and some young employees at food net....we just did dinosaur bbq....really really good!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

I caught the "After Hours" with Daniel Bouloud on Dinosaur BBQ and it did look enticing :biggrin: I'm glad you have a date for the airing of the show--now I can put it on my calendar to look forward to...can't wait to see what you come up with for DC!

Saw one of the TV ads yesterday and immediately recognized the ending shot through the window of Steve's Prince of Steaks.

Which episode is airing first?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

The show will focus on just great places to eat regardless of what they are....we filmed the pilot in Vegas and did everything off the strip from chicken fried lobster at Binions to amazing pasta at Nora's on flamingo....its based on my "cops eye" of how to find great places....dives, hole in the walls, street food....stuff like that....we will still hit "normal places" but will feature things like where the chefs eat....where working people like cops, street workers, bloggers and the likes go.....if you watch the new Alton Brown feasting on ashpalt show you will get a taste of it as there is a day spent with me in a police car eating amazing "dive food"....

I think the cities will be the major US place...Chicago, Boston etc...Nashville is a place I really want to go as I spent 4 yrs at Ft Campbell and cruised Nashville every weekend.....I am counting you the folks here to help steer us in the right direction...my only regret is I can no longer be  a judge on Iron Chef America....man that is a major bummer as it was really fun!

Oh yea, you can tell I am a cop by my avatar....its me in my police helicopter over L.A....just ask Holly Moore what its like....I got to fly him around L.A. for a night!

If you've not completed shooting yet, I could give a grand tour of some great

joints in Memphis (on your way to Nashville?) barbecue and otherwise.

Oh yea, you can tell I am a cop by my avatar....its me in my police helicopter over L.A....just ask Holly Moore what its like....I got to fly him around L.A. for a night!

Missed this earlier I think.

That helicopter trip was as cool as it gets. When we weren't chasing down noisy perps, Chris took me on an aerial tour along the coast line, using their high-power spot light to point out his favorite restaurants.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 2 weeks later...

So, if Chris has been in Chicago taping for 4 days, why am I not seeing any posts or pictures? Ronnie? Elliot? Surely someone has made it to the shoot by now?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

So, if Chris has been in Chicago taping for 4 days, why am I not seeing any posts or pictures?  Ronnie?  Elliot?  Surely someone has made it to the shoot by now?

No. I've not heard from anyone about any shoots here in Chicago :sad:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

We were slammed....we shot till after 1 am last night , then shot again at 8 am, then flew to Houston where I am now.....all the owners of he places were fantastic except 1 (who will remain nameless) .....I just wont be going to his place for a hot dog again....the food was good though....

Calvins BBQ, Myron and Phils were both the best places.....Myron and Phils was unreal, what a bargain for a fantastic steak dinner....if you live in Chi town...go there!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

We were slammed....we shot till after 1 am last night , then shot again at 8 am, then flew to Houston where I am now.....all the owners of he places were fantastic except 1 (who will remain nameless) .....I just wont be going to his place for a hot dog again....the food was good though....

Calvins BBQ, Myron and Phils were both the best places.....Myron and Phils was unreal, what a bargain for a fantastic steak dinner....if you live in Chi town...go there!

Myron and Phil's.. Nice choice.. What a fun place.. Did you get the Romanian Steak with burnt onions! Next time in Chicago please try Lem's BBQ.

Edited by Daniel (log)

Hey there is a ton of new stuff on the show including video stuff on foodnetwork.com as of today

Episode Guide portion is not all that informative. Hope Food Network decides by next week.

Neat clips though. And scary. Not sure which of us is the evil twin. My offer of a stunt double still stands.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Hey there is a ton of new stuff on the show including video stuff on foodnetwork.com as of today

I just checked out all the clips on FTV, Great stuff Chris! You're a STAR!

edited to add, with his own wikipedia page (and a few spelling errors)

Edited by Bombdog (log)

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

I just checked out all the clips on FTV, Great stuff Chris! You're a STAR!

edited to add, with his own wikipedia page (and a few spelling errors)

I took the liberty of putting a little more info into that article. The rest of this stuff is just cool as can be. I'm so jealous. Green, I say green with envy.

And tell me just how the hell you can lose 15 pounds doing a show about food? You got to take better care of yourself. No one should trust a skinny cook, unless of course he's an ex-junkie. :wink:

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Thanks to everyone for posting to this topic. Now that Chris's show, The Hungry Detective, is on the air, we're closing this topic so we can keep the discussion of the show itself in one place.

Go here to discuss the show. (If you recently posted here about the show, I've moved your post to the new topic.)