• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upstate New York Dining ?

GordonCooks

• 4 months later...
if you haven't been to kettle lakes (in tully) then you shouldn't be discussing the best food in the area.

Pleae tell us more about it and why we shouldn't be discussing the best food in the area without it? :wink:

What part of the state is Tully?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

if you haven't been to kettle lakes (in tully) then you shouldn't be discussing the best food in the area.

I second docsconz. Why must we eat there?

I've driven past Tully a hundred times on I-81 and never thought that there was anything to eat there. (BTW, Tully is just north of Cortland, probably 20-ish miles south of Syracuse).

How do I get to kettle lakes from the highway?

Kettle Lakes Inn is in Tully, a small community about 20 minutes south of Syracvuse, just off an exit of Interstate Rte 81. This place was under the radar for me for quite awhile - hadn't talked to anyone who'd been there but have now been hearing that it's exceptionally good - one of the very best places in the area. It's in an unlikely location - atttached to a Best Western Motel. Reports I've had from friends who have eaten there were very, very favorable.

I have also heard good things (although mixed from some people) about the restaurant at the Marx Hotel in Syracuse (was called Redfield's and has a new name now) and also a new place in the Armory district, called "bc".

Last week I tried Mirbeau Inn for dinner - very good experience

My dinner at Mirbeau Inn and Spa in Skaneatles

check out "Hudson Valley Bounty: A Food Lovers Guide to Farms, Restaurant and Open-Air Markets".. it was published last year and it covers a lot of the mid-Hudson Valley (below Albany) We found it pretty helpful last year ..lots of restaurants and where to get local foods at markets and directly off the farm.....

check out "Hudson Valley Bounty: A Food Lovers Guide to Farms, Restaurant and Open-Air Markets

Is this book genuinely critical? If it is, I will try to check it out. In my experience, most books of this sort are soft core and illustrate their subjects through a feelgood haze.

:wacko:

I just finished a quick lurk on the site that sort of brought Phaelon56 and I into the same universe (syracuse.com) and they are lofting kudos to Hooters(!) in Clay (north of Syracuse in a sort of up and coming strip mall kind of way)

Me, give me Dino BBQ (near the hospital in Syracuse)or China Road (in Mattydale), but I'm up for anything.

Latest addition to our area is Sushi Hana (also Mattydale) and Sahota Palace (replaces Little Thai House in Liverpool). Also sad to report that our one and only Greek place in the 'burbs is now gone (has been on the way for a while) to be replaced by yet another :hmmm: Italian. Guess it's off to Utica if we want Greek

Phaelon56, you around? Have you tried any of the new places yet? I did try Sahota Palace for lunch and liked it alot :smile:

Edited by rokinrev (log)

"As an ancestor of the next generation, ask yourself what history will you leave behind?"

~~ Ginny Salkowski: 2002 ~~

If anyone's on their way up to Canada on rt 81 it's worth a trip at exit 46 to go to Chaumont New York and eat at "That Borden Thing".  :biggrin:

They tell me that "chez Piggy" also just up the road and across the water is very good :biggrin:

"As an ancestor of the next generation, ask yourself what history will you leave behind?"

When in Saranac Lake, do not miss "Casa Del Sol - (518) 891-0977" especially on summer nights. Consistently good Mexican effort in the Adirondacks.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Kettle Lakes Inn is in Tully, a small community about 20 minutes south of Syracvuse, just off an exit of Interstate Rte 81. 

One of Kettle Lakes big things (besdes their prices) is that they deal in totally fresh CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) produce from Grindstone Farm in Pulaski that comes in daily during season.

No one local eats there....they can't afford it :hmmm: I know, I lived in the next town down the road for 2 years serving their church.

..I guess what bugs me is when I read accounts from people who think it's the best BBQ in the Northeast or even beyond - it's decent as I said but it just ain't all that (no offense intended but I have to be honest)....

RE: Dino Barbeque

OK, I LIKE Dino. I LOVE Dino sauces, and I can go to the local store (any local store) and get them. But part of Dino is the atmosphere, so you go to Dino, and you bring a book and earplugs if you're alone, or a friend if you're not, and you sit and eat BBQ.

My partner goes there a lot with clients. They get there at 5:30, she rolls home at 10, having waited more time than she's eaten.

But it's a Syracuse "landmark"...........

:rolleyes:

Edited by rokinrev (log)

When in Saranac Lake, do not miss "Casa Del Sol - (518) 891-0977" especially on summer nights. Consistently good Mexican effort in the Adirondacks.

johnnyd and rokinrev, welcome to eGullet! Johhnyd, I hate to differ, but I have never been overly impressed by Casa del Sol. I find Mexican food to be one of the most disappointing ethnic cuisines of the North Country. There used to be a decent restaurant , The Arizona Cafe in Hudson Falls, but they moved locations and lost first their "magic" and then their business.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I find Mexican food to be one of the most disappointing ethnic cuisines of the North Country.

Best Mexican I ever had in the US outside of AZ? A hole in the wall in Dayton OH...first time I ever had cactus (but I digress, OH is NOT Upstate NY...sorry :sad: )

And thanx for the welcome docsconz :cool:

Edited by rokinrev (log)

Syracuse had a truly excellent Mexican restaurant for a brief spell back in the 80's: La Bamba. It was so successful that the owner moved it and expanded after less than a year at the original location. Soon after, before we could determine whether he was able to maintain food quality and service with the increased volume, he fell ill, sold the busienss and moved away. The new owners ruined it and tanked in less than a year.

Some folks tell me that Garcia's in Cortland NY is "decent" mexican or tex-mex food and I might say the same about Jalapeno's in East Syracuse but "decent" is not great. I do happen to love the food at Alto Cinco on Westcott Street but it can hardly be defined as authentic Mexican - more like Mexican inspired. It is really good. I ate there a month or so ago and had an incredible mole sauce - just spectacular.

Kettle Lakes, downtown's new spot "bc" and The Horned Dorset are all on my short list as well as a return visit to L'Adour but alas... the budget permits no dining out at the moment (apart from the occasional $10 Vietnamese or Spanish dinner).

Perhaps one of you kind folks has tried one of a few places that I saw mentioned i a recent Syracuse.com forum post.

The person who mentioned these two places was heading for Donna's Diner on Rte 5 near Herkimer and ended up in Little Falls.

First place of interest is the White Rose bakery - said to look like a scene straight from the 50's with some good breads and pastries offered.

There was also mention of the Ann Street Deli - next to a marina (I think Little Falls is on the Mohawk River?). The deli was also praised and I found particular interest in the fact that it was also adjacent to two huge antique markets - literally warehouse sized.

Have any of you been there? Sounds like a great destination for a road trip on a nice Spring or Summer weekend.....

The person who mentioned these two places was heading for Donna's Diner on Rte 5 near Herkimer and ended up in Little Falls.

First place of interest is the White Rose bakery - said to look like a scene straight from the 50's with some good breads and pastries offered.

There was also mention of the Ann Street Deli - next to a marina (I think Little Falls is on the Mohawk River?). The deli was also praised and I found particular interest in the fact that it was also adjacent to two huge antique markets - literally warehouse sized.

White Rose bakery Forget it.... not at all worth the trip. There are better places in Herkimer County, belive it or not the best is the TravelStop truck stop just off 90 ( spent 2 years traveling this route 2x a week between Albany and Syracuse

Ann Street Deli is a deli, no big whoop. A pretty one yes, but a deli none the less. Try the little place just outside St Johnsville if you want atmosphere. Right on the river even.

the website for kettle lakes is www.kettlelakes.com. if you are familiar with tully or rt 81 it shares a parking lot with the hotel and a bank just off 81 exit if you are going north and off the exit and under the bridge if you are going south

"i bet you smell like strawberry ice cream... the good kind" - e.dunn

God - I haven't been back to Syracuse in a while, and I agree with many of phaelon56's recs. I wish I could remember more accurately, but there was once a tiny little "pseudo"-restaurant in North Syracuse? - it was near a junk shop that looked like an old airplane hangar?

Coming from Syracuse and going towards Carousel mall, it was a right turn when you got off of 81 at Hiawatha I believe? (God my memory stinks)

Anyways, it was a little Asian grocery store hole in the wall that also happened to have a small kitchen making soups and rice dishes. It was run by a Hmong family, and the food was very similar to Thai and Vietnamese (never had Laotian food, so I can't compare). It was very good, mostly offal meats in soups or stews (kind of curry like) and the food was around $3-$4. There was no English menu or English spoken, but the older woman who ran it was very nice. Went there a couple of times before I graduated, and haven't been back since... don't know if it's still there or not, but it was definitely right off of the main road (I took a wrong turn and decided to just get lost for a bit). Anyone have any idea what the name of this place is or if it's still open? (From what I gathered, Syracuse's Hmong population has moved further into the US, to places like Milwaukee and Minneapolis.)

And as for Dinosaur - I agree I'm not up for the scene always, and I don't like blues, but the BBQ is some of the best in the NE. (If not THE best). I'm eagerly awaiting its NYC outpost.

I wish I could remember more accurately, but there was once a tiny little "pseudo"-restaurant in North Syracuse? - it was near a junk shop that looked like an old airplane hangar?

I'll look around and report back if I find it but this one went totally under the radar for me. From 1999 until this past summer I was only here in town a few times a month for work and was living elsewhere. We still have a Hmong population but most of the more recent Vietnamese influx has not been from the highlands.

I assumne you mean the North side rather than North Syracuse? I know where a quonset hut junk place is - they sell video games and used DVD's etc. - it's on Hiawatha west of the Carousel mall.

Since my initial post of 18 months ago in this thread... a few things have changed.

Bangkok Thai in Liverpool on Rte 57 near John Glenn Blvd - my new favorite Thai place. Superior (IMHO) to the other ones in town and they offer a full range of "Thai Hot" in their entrees - this scale starts above "American Hot".

Antonio's - was not wowed by my last meal there - the veal was tough. I've eaten at Illario's Tratoria on North State a few times and was very pleased with both the meals and the seervice. I have also tried Asti Caffe on North Salina a few times and although the people are ncie and service is good, I felt that the food didn't quite measure up to what Illario's offers.

Food at Mai Lan Vietnamese has gone downhill, accompanied by a big price jump on everything except the Pho. I still treasure the family who owns this place - they're kind, warm and welcoming people. Just not thrilled with the food at this point. new Centruy on Kirpatrick has been very consistent and of special note is the fact that they upgraded to Trung Nguyen coffee for their iced coffee with condensed milk. It's a Viet import coffee and really rocks.

I've tried a bunch more pizza places and still find nothing locally that is superior to Cosmo's on Marshall Street near the University - that is assuming that you like traditional NY style pizza. IMO they have the best sauce , good crust and are one of the few local places that still uses real whole milk mozzarella instead of that godawful cheese blend that now seems ubiquitous.

My presently reduced budget ahd prevented a return visit to L'Adour or a visit to Kettle Lakes but both places are in my plans. I dined recently as the guest of a friend at Mirbeau Inn and Spa in Skaneatles. It was an exceptional meal and very soothing, genteel atmosphere - very pricey by local standards but worth it for a special occasion (i.e. tasting menu for two with two small sparkling waters, one cafe au lait plus tax and 20% tip - about $175).

Any fine dining recommendations? When in Rochester

:biggrin:

My favorite place in Rochester is in the Wedge district, a store front Veggie place near the Rochester gay/lesbian store.

What ever happened to Grimaldi's in Syracuse. It was an excellent, extremely popular Italian restaurant for the longest of time. When Dick Vitale was in Syracuse doing a game he would sing its praises and never miss eating there. Then a ll of a sudden it doesn't exist anymore. What happened?

Porkpa