• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upstate New York Dining ?

GordonCooks

Fred Grimaldi retired and the restaurant closed. John Julian, who worked closely with Fred in later years, has had a few places since then, one of which was called Grimaldi's Chop House and I think Fred may have been an investor - it was a bit pricey and overrated. There is now a Grimaldi's Italian restaurant over at "motel row" off Carrier Circle near Rte 90 but it's not the same place as the old grimaldi's and I've heard no buzz about it so I guess maybe it's not in the same league as the old place.

Rico, who was Fred's head waiter of many years, opened his own place in East Syracuse on Bridge Street (Rte 298) across from Wal-Mart near the old Amtrak station. People rave about it but I've eaten there four or five times (not my choice) and remain unimpressed.

The former Grimaldi's site on on Erie Blvd is now Delmonico's. They still have the Sinatra themed bar area and advertise heavily for their signature item: a supposed Delmonico steak weighing in at 24 ounces for $11.95. Have you checked beef prices lately? A real Delmonico it ain't! Having said that, I'll advise that they are reputed to serve some of the best Italian red sauce style dishes in the area. My personal preference at the moment for Italian food is Ilario's Trattoria on North State.

In Buffalo: Kuni's Sushi Bar on Elmwood. Kuni-san keeps about a quarter of the menu rotating to seasonal dishes. Four tables, and a moderately long bar with stools...........patrons on a waiting list routinely go down the block to a nearby bar to wait (and get called there when their table is ready!)

In Olean: Southern Kitchen for the most amazing peach cobbler or fried chicken. Actually, it's all good! The owner/chef is a retired social worker who was raised in Georgia.

Buffalo-area: Schwabbles for superb beef-on-weck.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Johhnyd, I hate to differ, but I have never been overly impressed by Casa del Sol. I find Mexican food to be one of the most disappointing ethnic cuisines of the North Country.

I had a mole do dia there that really opened my eyes (so did the choices of Tequilas) back in the eighties but I've had better since. Back then, ANY restaurant was a god-send after the miles and miles of backcountry... must've had something to do with it! :blink:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Any fine dining recommendations? When in Rochester

:biggrin:

My favorite place in Rochester is in the Wedge district, a store front Veggie place near the Rochester gay/lesbian store.

In South Wedge ? - You must mean "Slice of Life" cafe. Veggie Club sandwich with sweet potato chips dusted in tumeric - sound familiar?

In Buffalo: Kuni's Sushi Bar on Elmwood. Kuni-san keeps about a quarter of the menu rotating to seasonal dishes. Four tables, and a moderately long bar with stools...........patrons on a waiting list routinely go down the block to a nearby bar to wait (and get called there when their table is ready!)

In Olean: Southern Kitchen for the most amazing peach cobbler or fried chicken. Actually, it's all good! The owner/chef is a retired social worker who was raised in Georgia.

Kuni's is great - anyone been to Osake (is it still open?) or "O"?

I'm a Charlie The Butcher Fan myself.

And Duff's for wings.

Anyone been to a place called Garlock's in Lockport. Great place with an amazing prime rib, but they don't take reservations and there is always a big wait.

Any fine dining recommendations? When in Rochester

:biggrin:

My favorite place in Rochester is in the Wedge district, a store front Veggie place near the Rochester gay/lesbian store.

In South Wedge ? - You must mean "Slice of Life" cafe. Veggie Club sandwich with sweet potato chips dusted in tumeric - sound familiar?

OH YEA...that's it...it's heck getting old :wink:

"As an ancestor of the next generation, ask yourself what history will you leave behind?"

~~ Ginny Salkowski: 2002 ~~

Olean- The Library, which used to be ....a library!

Hornell- Club 57 has the best Thai salad http://www.club57.net/

Rupert's at the Lodge for anything else

Billy Shues for b'fast

The Country Kitchen for fish fry

"As an ancestor of the next generation, ask yourself what history will you leave behind?"

How do I get to kettle lakes from the highway?

Tully exit off I-81 south or north. Cross under the highway and go into Tully. It's just past the Nice and Easy at the Motel. I think you enter at the bank sign

is Pavone's still around doing Pizza?

Not only are they still around but the minute you show up they've got a few guys ready to leer at you :wink: (one of my female colleagues used to be convinced that the same couple of good looking young Italian guys just circulated from one Pavone's mall location to another to serve as eye candy for the lady shoppers and wink at them).

Very minor correction on the Kettle Lakes directions - if you're coming there from Rte 81 south you'll get off at the exit, turn left, take another quick left and go under the highway. If you're coming up on Rt 81 north you'll just turn right after the end of the ramp and won't go under the highway. It's in a building that's attached to a Best Western motel and the motel sign is visible from Rt 81.

Interesting that they have wine pairings now - I can remember when Tully was a dry town (but that may actually be the village that's dry rather than the township).

is Pavone's still around doing Pizza?

Not only are they still around but the minute you show up they've got a few guys ready to leer at you :wink: (one of my female colleagues used to be convinced that the same couple of good looking young Italian guys just circulated from one Pavone's mall location to another to serve as eye candy for the lady shoppers and wink at them).

oh so the hot pizza guys weren't just a fixture at my Manlius Pavone's huh? I used to remember being rendered speechless going in there to pick up orders when i was in high school.

Hey here's anopther question - how is El Saha doing? are they still baking pitas for everyone? the owner's son had the most fascinating blue eyes.

Osake (is it still open?) or "O"?

Still open, still fine, IMHO. The wife likes David Jun's fusion dishes and I appreciate the well-executed sushi. My homemade tuna tartare is better, though.

We drop in on his downtown noodle/sushi roll place (Osake, corner of Delaware and Chippewa) for the "sushi happy hour" when all rolls are $4.

Also of note for WNY eaters: the only real Korean BBQ place in WNY that I know of is in Amherst, on Evans Rd (Korea House, 402 Evans). Excellent bulgoki and dwaeji bulgoki you grill over a full in-table gas grill setup. The kalbi didn't send me. Really solid panchan. Could hold its own against any of the second-tier places in Manhattan's Koreatown.

Also, Vietnamese: 99 Fast Food, on Bailey Ave by the University at Buffalo Main St campus, and downtown on Niagara St, across from city hall. Pho as it was meant to be, and a small menu of other blue-collar Viet standards.

Tryska - you are shameless - that's one of the things I really like about you :raz:

El Saha is still going along nicely - their pita is still sold in all the local grocery stores and in the Middle Eastern markets as well (we have more of them now than ever).

Pavone's keeps expanding - they're now in all the malls except Carousel and have a number of neighborhood locations as well. Cosmo's remains my favorite local pizzeria but as of this week (thanks to eGulleteer tips and tricks!) I'm making better pizza at home than I can buy in a shop.

I knew you were originally from or lived in this area but didn't realize that it was Manlius. I'm still baffled that apart from What's Your beef, which remains as a reliable steakhouse, there's really no fine dining in Manlius. A few places have come and gone but none seem to last.

But Phaelon - this kids eyes were royal blue, almost purple. Like fake colored contact eyes, but long before fake colored contacts came out. I'm glad el saha is doing so well - i have yet to find a pita down here that even compares. Granted the fact that factory was right down the street may have some bearing, but man - it was the chewiest fluffiest pita ever.

I don't know how i feel about pavone's being a fixture everywhere. i'm guessing quality has been sacrificed to an extent.

as for Manlius - at least when i lived there - it was quite insular. Most people went to the Golf Club (name escapes me - but everyone was a member) for fine dining and entertainment. other than that, Cazenovia and Skaneatles were where you went. I can't recall what Fayetteville has to offer but if i remember correctly not much. The high point of my Manlius life, aside from El Saha boy and the Pavones crew was the indie movie theater.

My maternal grandmother had eyes like that but hers were a turquoise green. It was such an electrifying and vivid color that in this day and age one would assume she was wearing colored contacts, were it not for the fact that she was a little 90 year old Irish lady (elderly Irish ladies do NOT wear colored contacts!).

I think Pavone's dough is probably still good but I believe they've caved in and gone to using that godawful "Grande cheese blend" from Wisconsin that so many pizzerias now use. It is a blend of Italian style cheeses - not straight whole milk mozzarella - the difference is visible and can definitely be tasted.

Manlius is still quite insular and it's so quick to get from the suburbs to the city that the newest and most interesting restaurants develop mostly downtown in the Armory Square area. Cazenovia and Fayetteville still have a few decent options (the Brewster Inn in Caz and Arad Evans in F'ville). I used to really enjoy Wheatberry's in Caz but they are long gone.

The indie movie theatre is still there - limping along but staying open - the owner also runs the Westcott, over in my neighborhood. If you should happen to visit the area again my favorite local restaurant, Alto Cinco, is right next to the Westcott theater.

Also of note for WNY eaters: the only real Korean BBQ place in WNY that I know of is in Amherst, on Evans Rd (Korea House, 402 Evans). Excellent bulgoki and dwaeji bulgoki you grill over a full in-table gas grill setup. The kalbi didn't send me. Really solid panchan. Could hold its own against any of the second-tier places in Manhattan's Koreatown.

Also, Vietnamese: 99 Fast Food, on Bailey Ave by the University at Buffalo Main St campus, and downtown on Niagara St, across from city hall. Pho as it was meant to be, and a small menu of other blue-collar Viet standards.

Nice! We used to lug all the way to Woo-Chon, I'll have to give this place a try.

Actually,is the the same place? (new owners?)

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

Now imagine the vibrant color of your grandmother's eyes on someone with persian coloring. as i said...fascinating.

in any case - i'm glad to hear the indie theater is still there. i haven't been back in so long. I'm really tempted to come to town for the fair on of these years tho. i miss salt potatoes and sausage and peppers.

• 4 weeks later...

Next month I will have one night in Syracuse. I am thinking of going to Eva's European Sweets. Are there other suggestions that either typify Syracuse dining or serves local specialties? I will pass on Dinosaur, I get plenty of great Q here in Texas.

Are there any new and interesting options in Ithaca? Heading back for Reunion next month.

Not sure when you were originally resident in Ithaca but do you recall Auberge du Cochon Rouge? It closed in 1992 after a respectable run as one of the only authentic French restaurants in central NY state. Chef/owner Etienne Merle had a role in the Pascale's Restaurant operation in Syracuse for awhile but has reopened a place of his own in Ithaca called Valentine Cafe. It's said to be very good, reasonably priced and makes good use of seasonal local produce and locally raised meats etc.. The menu is described as eclectic - he no longer focuses on classical French cuisine but his background is very deep in that area.

Other Ithaca possibilities:

* The Thai restaurant on the Commons - did not impress me at all

* Thai Cuisine on Rte 13 - used to be stellar but has slipped - the owner sold it to his brother. Quality is okay but has declined noticeably.

* Nouvelle American type place next to fall creek Cinema - used to be Renee's Bistro - I believe it's now called Willow. Have not tried it but hear that it's very good.

* Gimme! Coffee - excellent espresso bar/Cafe - they have two in Ithaca and one in Trumansburg (and one in Brooklyn!). These guys and gals know their stuff - it's a must visit if you like good coffee and espresso.

Syracuse:

* L'Adour is good - there's a chef's tasting menu upstairs - I think both a five course and seven course are offered at $55 to $80. I've only eaten in the downstairs which is a bistro menu - think of the food at a place like Steak Frites (the place just west of Union Square on 16th Street). It's good and reasonably priced but reservations are a must - they're jammed every weekend.

* New Century Vietnamese on Kirkpatrick - very good

* Alto Cinco on Westcott Street - one of my local favorites - Mexican and Mexican influenced dishes. Very good food, nice cozy (if crowded) little bistro atmosphere and good wine selection (limited but good).

Eva's rocks - I love that place and it's ridiculously cheap despite the great food quality. Be sure to leave room for dessert. Hopefully you'll have a few people with you so you can share dishes? (I'm officially volunteering to join you if you need company!).

Recommended:

* Bigosz (a pungent hunter's stew)

* Potato pancakes (order the ones with sauerkraut and bacon in the batter)

* Gulasz - the steamed barley side is good but I get the dumplings - they're so light as to almost be feathery - best dumplings I've ever had

Al the desserts are terrific but I tend towards the sacher torte or the fruit based tarts. Her cheesecake is good but I can get cheesecake anywhere - European style pastries that are delicate but not overly sweet are difficult if not impossible to find anywhere else in Syracuse - hers are worth sampling.

As for "local specialties".... those include Italian sausage sandwiches made with Gianelli sausage and smothered with onions, peppers and sauce but that's fair and festival food. Salt potatoes are another likely suspect but not one you'll find in restaurants. Clark's Ale House downtown on Jefferson Street has the BEST roast beef sandwich you're likely to have. Heid's hotdogs (in the village of Liverpool) is another local tradition and good for a snack but hardly a dinner destination. There really is no "local cuisine" per se. Italian restaurants seem to predominate in the area but IMHO none of them are exceptional enough to mention.

Last but not least is Kettle Lakes Inn. Located in Tully, about twenty minutes south of Syracuse, they offer an eclectic menu, are said to be very good and are also active in a CSA program with local producers for their seasonal produce.

Owen- If you are around for dinner on June 9th that would be very cool and Eva's it is. Are there any other Syracuse egulleters?

re:Ithaca

Gimme Coffee! is on my must go to list. That and Johnny's Hot Truck.

I am not sad to hear that Auberge du Cochon Rouge closed. It was home to several first dates and no second dates. Now I can re-write history and blame the restaurant.

Anyone going up to the Cornell Reunion?

re:Ithaca

Gimme Coffee! is on my must go to list. That and Johnny's Hot Truck.

Hot Truck. I'm so jealous. Please let me know if it stands the test of time.

Have fun at reunion. Hopefully, it won't rain. :raz:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs