• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One favorite dish

"Occasionally, one finds places that serve a particular dish that is killer, and I would go there for that dish, and that dish only," someone said on another thread. Are there any restaurants you go to for a particular dish?What dish is it? Do you decide what you are in the mood to eat before arriving at the restaurant, or do you simply end up ordering the same thing at a particular restaurant because you like it so much?

For example: When the annual mood strikes me for a pastrami sandwich, I automatically go to Katz's.

Should this be in the General forum?

We always order the Basil Beef at Taipai Noodle House in Parsippany, NJ. We may get other things too, but we always end up getting that dish.

Tofu nyonya and Clay Pot Noodle Soup at Penang (East Hanover, NJ, never been to the ones in NYC which I've heard aren't as good - not as many choices for Malasian in NJ).

The duck or pot au feu at Chez Josephine on 42nd in NYC.

Sometimes the restaurant dictates the dish (in other words we are going to a restaurant and I'll get the same dish even after trying to find something else on the menu), sometimes it's I have to have noodle soup, "let's go to Penang or almost any Japanese for Nebayaki Udon."

Happens a lot, and may be a symptom of comulsive-obsessive behavior on my part.

Hunan Chicken at the Malaysia Restaurant;

Tete de veau, sauce gribiche at L'Absinthe (now off the menu, I believe);

Jamon de pulpo (or lambi) at Vesuvio (in Santo Domingo);

Blood pudding at Chez Josephine;

Panna cotta with balsamic vinegar at San Domenico (they now serve a tamer version with a fruit coulis);

Either corned beef or pastrami sandwich at Katz's;

and it looks like the gratin des fruits de mer at Le Pigalle in London is coming along in the same way.

When I would come home to visit family in west orange nj we would go to a small local italian place in orange called libretti's. They made the most amazing broccoli and cavatelli. Such a simple dish yet their's was bursting with flavor. Tried to make it at home...not the same (sigh)

A soft shell crab Po-boy, fully dressed, from Parasols in New Orleans. I'm working in Baton Rouge, but whenever I have to fly out of New Orleans airport I always call parasols to see if they have soft shells in and leave a little bit earlier than I have to. The're so good!

Lobster roll at Pearl Oyster Bar....Pretzel Croissant at City Bakery....Fava Beans,Pecorino,and Walnut pesto at Gramercy Tavern....Duck Soup and Halo Halo at New Viet Huong,on Mulberry St.,the Burger and the jukebox at the Corner Bistro

Oops, NY only.  My bad. 

the Oysters Mosca at Mosca's outside of New orleans

the best oyster dish ever

also about Penang-my roomate and I had a really bad food poisoning experience at the one on 11st

LIke I said, I've only gone (repeatedly) to the Penang in NJ and we really enjoy it. But it's not like there's more than one Malaysian place to go to in the area, which is not the case in NYC.

On another note - I agree that this would make an interesting thread in General, so I am moving it from the NY forum. Let's here the rest of the world's opinion on this topic.

Liver congee? I've never had that. But now that you mention it, a chicken liver congee would be splendid. Or slices of monkfish liver.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

The fresh bacon is a great call, Cathy. Yes, I would go to GT bar just to eat that. Even though I prefer to call it pork belly.

Reminds me that the charcuterie at Craft and Craftbar would also be destination bar dishes for me, if I could ever get a seat at the respective bars.

The fresh bacon is a great call, Cathy.  Yes, I would go to GT bar just to eat that.  Even though I prefer to call it pork belly.

I typed 'pork belly' at first and then changed it. 'Fresh bacon' is such a clever menu euphemism.

My house, a chilly winter's day and a chicken slow-roasting in the oven. I brine it first, then stick sprigs of fresh rosemary throughout, scatter a couple dozen cloves of garlic around and douse it with white wine.

My number one absolutely favorite food experience ( and also my children's)

Oh boy oh boy. What a great question...

Steak at Peter Luger

Pastrami at Katz'

Foie Gras sauteed almost anywhere in France with a glass of chilled sauternes

Roast chicken with garlic at Greuze in Tournous

Nova, eggs and onions at Barney Greengrass

Oysters and Reisling at a sidewalk brasserie in Paris

Choucroute Royale at Maison Kammerzeller in Strasbourg

Civet de Lievre a la royale at A Sousceyrac in Paris

Poulet vin jaune avec morriles at Chez Maitre Paul in Paris

Turbot avec beurre blanc sauce at La Grille in Paris

Hot dogs from Papaya King

Great sushi where ever it can be had.

Caviar degustaçion at Petrossian

Oh, you asked for one killer dish? .... I'll have to think about that.

One killer dish that you so associate with one restaurant that when you think of that dish, you automatically think of that restaurant or, if you think of the restaurant, or go there, you always order the same dish. Any number of dishes at any number of restaurants will answer the question.

First, Cathy L and Wilfred, can you describe as precisely as possible how you think the braised pork belly was done? I am a mimic cook, and this is someplace I would definitely go.

Second, in response to the thread's question, Grilled Calimari and Rice Bean (tiny white beans about the size and shape of a grain of long rice) Salad at Delfina in SF.

and the cumin scented white bean and duck confit braise at Alma (called something like chugo de pato), also in SF. Of course, followed with chocolate-jalapeno ice cream from the same kitchen.

eGullet member #80.