• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One favorite dish

jaybee -- Could you describe the chicken with yellow wine and morels dish, when you have a chance?

Cabby, Ici la recetee pour poulet vin jaune avec moriles. Je preferré Chateau Chalon pour la meilleur sauce.

Volailles, Lapin

Poulet au Vin JauneRecette

Pour: 6 personnes

Durée: 1 h 05

Difficulté: facile Il vous faut:

1 poulet fermier de 1,5 kg, coupé en huit morceaux, 250 g de morilles fraîches ou 75 g de morilles sèches, 1/2 bouteille de vin jaune, 20 cl de crème fraîche, 2 échalotes, 2 cuil. à soupe d'huile, 80 g de beurre, 1 cuil. à soupe de vinaigre, 1 pincée de noix de muscade, sel, poivrePhases techniques:

Assaisonner les morceaux de poulet de sel, de poivre et de noix de muscade.

Faire chauffer le beurre et l'huile dans une cocotte, puis y faire dorer les morceaux de poulet pendant quelques minutes. Ajouter les échalotes hachées et 1/2 verre de vin jaune. Couvrir et laisser mijoter 20 minutes.

Nettoyer les morilles. Si elles sont grosses, les couper en deux dans le sens de la longueur. Les laver dans une eau vinaigrée et les rincer à plusieurs reprises dans une eau claire. Les égoutter et bien les éponger avec un papier absorbant. Si ce sont des morilles sèches, les réhydrater 15 minutes dans de l'eau tiède, puis les égoutter.

Faire tiédir dans une casserole le reste du vin jaune et le verser dans la cocotte. Ajouter les morilles. Remuer délicatement. Laisser mijoter à découvert 15 minutes.

Réserver au chaud le poulet. Ajouter la crème fraiche à la sauce et laisser réduire 5 minutes.

Napper les morceaux de poulet de sauce au vin et aux morilles et servir chaud.

I only know how to cook this dish in French. :biggrin:

It should be noted that jaybee's preferred wine is an important element of this dish, as it is prepared at Chez Maitre Paul, a restaurant that specializes in Jura-nese wines and food. Another wine would make it a different dish altogether. The wine is a distinctive golden yellow.

Sandra,

I take it you've had this dish a CMP? I can't get the sauce into my mouth fast enough.

It is one of the most delicious meals I have in Paris. I've made it at home twice with the Chateau Chalon and all, but not to the level of taste of CMP. Practice, Practice...

Cabby, Ici la recetee pour poulet vin jaune avec moriles.  Je preferré Chateau Chalon pour la meilleur sauce.

While I prefer recipes in French, I've roughly translated the recipe provided by jaybee, for other members:

Recipe for Chicken, Other Poultry or Rabbit with Yellow Wine (6 people)

Time: 1 hr 5 min

Level of Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients: 1 Farm-raised chicken weighing 1.5 kg, cut into eight pieces; 250 g of fresh morels or 75 g of dried morels; 1/2 bottle of yellow wine (from the Jura); 20 cl of creme fraiche; 2 shallots; 2 soup spoons (does this refer to tablespoons??) of oil; 80 g butter; 1 soup spoon of vinegar; a pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper.

Steps

Season the chicken pieces with salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Heat up the butter and oil in a cocotte, and render golden the chicken pieces in some minutes. Add the cut-up shallots and 1/2 glass of the yellow wine. Cover and allow it to cook for 20 minutes.

Wash the morels. If they are large, cut them in two lengthewise. Wash them in water that contains vinegar, and rinse them several times in clear water. Drain the water and sponge them drier with absorbent material (ie., paper towels). If dried morels are utilized, rehydrate them for 15 minutes in warm water, and then drain.

Warm in a casserole the remainder of the yellow wine and pour it into the cocotte. Add the morels. Stir gently. Allow 15 minutes of cooking time (?).

Keep the chicken warm. Add the creme fraiche to the sauce and allow it to reduce itself for 5 minutes.

Combine the chicken pieces with the wine sauce and the morels and serve the dish while hot. :smile:

When there's "meals" to be cooked, it's me does the cookin. In our early days, Ellen did her share. But our tastes diverged later, mine toward fat and hers toward lean, so together we licked the platter clean... :biggrin:

Is the pork belly at Gramercy the same as the braised fresh "bacon" recipe in Colicchio's Think Like a Chef? I would guess it is -- he says, "GQ magazine voted it their favorite meat dish of the year, after strenuous debate over whether I should call it 'fresh bacon' or 'pork belly.'"

Is the pork belly at Gramercy the same as the braised fresh "bacon" recipe in Colicchio's Think Like a Chef?  I would guess it is -- he says, "GQ magazine voted it their favorite meat dish of the year, after strenuous debate over whether I should call it 'fresh bacon' or 'pork belly.'"

Yes, Toby. Such a great book!

I like Think Like a Chef a lot; different from most chef cookbooks.

Has anyone had the pork belly both at Cafe Boulud and at Gramercy, and would you compare them?