• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tag Team eG Foodblog: Light My Fire!

On to dinner. We had salmon, grilled on a plank, and an assortment of vegetables.

gallery_6263_35_55586.jpg

gallery_6263_35_10410.jpg

gallery_6263_35_19410.jpg

gallery_6263_35_4011.jpg

Aong with this:

gallery_6263_35_29834.jpg

And, I didn't do a lick of work except snaap the asparagus!

Following dinner, I got a boatload of yard work done, which was therapy for me. Digging, tending. Made me feel great.

So, butt tomorrow! My grill, I think will be new to me, and I might just, with that tighter bottom vent contraption, be able to smoke lower and slower.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Thanks for soldiering on in the rain you three. If it's any consolation, we've been having wet weather here in Australia for about 2 weeks. Otherwise I'd try to send you all some sun. :smile:

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

Arlo, Gus and I have just returned from our morning walk and all three of us are wet as surprise, surprise it is raining. I see on the morning news that folks in New England are really getting blasted with serious flooding the result. Perhaps I should stop whining about it.

Susan, glad your planked salmon turned out fine, it looks very good. And the repaired Weber looks ready for another 25 years of service.

Marlene, that spit roasted beef is so cool. Thats a nice thing to have and my brother in law just got a new grill with that feature. I was eyeing it up with some envy. Maybe the next grill will be like his.

Forecast here is for more rain today and thunderstorms tonight. I was hoping to do my grilled pizza tonight. Once again, that will be weather permitting.

Edited by lancastermike (log)

Good morning all. Right now, the sun is shining, although the forecast is calling for anoher 10-15 mm of rain by the end of the day so we shall see. It's also not very warm and the forecast for the end of the week when we are camping sounds very chilly. Fortunately, the rig has a furnance :biggrin:

It is quiet here this morning. Don has gone to work and Ry is at his Dad's so I don't have the usual rush of getting people fed and out the door. I can have my coffee and contemplate whether I want breakfast or not. My waffle maker is staring at me and I've got some fresh strawberries in the fridge, so maybe a waffle wih a strawberry topping is in order!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm enjoying this a lot.

And in the spirit of this blog, I bought a stovetop smoker this weekend and smoked a teeny tiny duckbreast :laugh: I know it's nothing compared to the whole beasts I'm seeing smoked here! But I smoked! So thanks for inspiring me!

Good morning. Coffee in hand, just about to get Heidi up and one the bus, but first, I'd better soak some wood chunks.

While the sun is not out, and there is a slight chance of rain this afternoon, it is reasonably warm and the deck is dry. A great day for smoking my butt!

Klary, congrats on smoking!

Mike posted a link to the recipe here. It's very good.

I've taken eggs and butter out and am thinking that a devil's food cake should make an appearance today.

Marlene

My butt is on. It's a bit over 8 and a half pounds. Bone in, skin on.

gallery_6263_35_30965.jpg

Temp is at 220. This new bottom vent really fits tightly, so this could be interesting.

(edited to add photo and temp notes)

The cake is baked and is now cooling. To make my cake, here are the steps:

Prepare the pans, greased and lined with parchment paper. I use 9 inch cake pans:

gallery_6080_2891_44649.jpg

Sift flour, baking soda and salt together onto wax paper. The OXO sifter I use has a top and bottom lid which allows you to put the dry ingredients together in the sifter before sifting:

gallery_6080_2891_38138.jpg

gallery_6080_2891_39236.jpg

In the meantime, whisk cocoa powder and hot water together, and when it cools, add buttermilk and vanilla and set aside:

gallery_6080_2891_24107.jpg

Beat butter in the mixture until creamy and pale:

gallery_6080_2891_23210.jpg

Then add sugar, brown and white:

gallery_6080_2891_37323.jpg

Once this has been incorporated, add eggs that have been beaten slightly, a little bit at a time, making sure each addition has been fully incorporated.

gallery_6080_2891_11409.jpg

Then add the dry ingredients and the cocoa mixture, alternating. Then pour into cake pans and smooth the tops. I always, always use magic strips.

gallery_6080_2891_60499.jpg

Cool the cakes on racks until completely cool.

gallery_6080_2891_679.jpg

Next, we'll get ready to try a buttercream. :biggrin:

Marlene

On to dinner.  We had salmon, grilled on a plank, and an assortment of vegetables.

gallery_6263_35_4011.jpg

So, butt tomorrow!  My grill, I think will be new to me, and I might just, with that tighter bottom vent contraption, be able to smoke lower and slower.

Yum, that looks really great, snowangel. Are the bulby things, spring garlic?

Good luck with your *new* smoker today!

What a weather week for grilling and smoking, lancastermike! My mom's traditional Mother's Day grilled shrimp (in CT) had to made inside on Sunday. :sad:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Marlene, was there any difference in flavor between the spit roasted prime rib and the oven roasted prime rib that you usually do? No Yorkshire pudding, ehh?

Because I treat them the same way, just oil, kosher salt and pepper, there isn't a lot of difference, other than using the rotisserie, the crust does get a little crispier and it doesn't take quite as long. As well, doing it on the rotisserie usually means finding another option for sauce or gravy and I don't usually bother with yorkies when I do roasts on the grill.

Marlene

Yum, that looks really great, snowangel.  Are the bulby things, spring garlic?

They are wild ramps. There's a whole topic on them over here.

My butt has been on the smoker for just about 2 hours. Grill temp is running between 200-225 and the meat thermometer is registering about 110. The new tight bottom vent is making it very easy to control the temp, and I shouldn't have any problem keeping it at less than 200 tomorrow when I smoke my bacon.

Cake looks wonderful, Marlene! I need to get some of those magic strips.

gallery_12506_2882_679023.jpg

This mornings breakfast. Whole wheat toast with butter.

gallery_12506_2882_503344.jpg

Packing my lunch, some left over pulled pork butt and a couple Martin potato rolls

gallery_12506_2882_892408.jpg

Mixing my flavor into the yogart, today's flavor choice is vanilla

gallery_12506_2882_647740.jpg

A tangerine and today's beverage, Fresca.

Lunch time at work. I just looked outside and the rain has stopped. It rained hard all morning. As with most jobs Monday's are busy here. Eating my sandwich at my desk, have already gotten three phone calls.

If the rain allows I plan on doing my grilled pizza make-up for dinner. It really has been a string of ugly days here. I'll wait till I get home to make any promises.

Suasn

Your sausage looks wonderful. I'm sure it will grill up nicely.

Marlene

The cake looks great. Good luck with the buttercream. My last try at a true buttercream was a 100% disaster. I find them to be really difficult. I often cheat and just use the powdered sugar with some butter and a little milk. Not a real buttercream, but it always works for me.

Edited by lancastermike (log)

Just catching up on the blog, thanks guys it is fabulous. I am now dying for some pulled pork, a prime rib, choclate cake, ramps and salmon!

Marlene, Kozlicks mustards come in about 50 different varieties, they have a stall at the SLM. Owner is lovely. They also make vinegar, the cider vinegar and the raspberry are two of the best I've ever had. The fig and balsamic mustard makes a lovely marinade for pork, and the horseradish mustard mixed with a bit of creme fraiche is great with carpaccio, or on leftover prime rib sandwiches.

I can also attest to how well strawberries go with waffles, after seeing Marlene's KA waffle maker earlier in the blog, I had to make an emergency stop for one before heading north for the weekend. What an awesome appliance - light, fluffy, perfectly golden waffles enjoyed by all on Mother's Day.

Mike, the bakery items you've shown look great, with a bakery like that nearby I'm sure it saves a lot of work. Of course, it could add a lot of pounds too!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

gallery_12506_2882_295431.jpg

Just found this in the album. The famous bolg fridge shot. This was from last week as the pork tenderloins are still visable.

gallery_12506_2882_892408.jpg

Lurking in the left hand side of this photo is the butter bell I just go a few weeks ago. I have always wanted one of thes and got this one on E-Bay not only does it work it is a signed piece of pottery. And it does work, the butter is always soft, but stays fresh. Change the water every few days. On my toast this morning I had nice spreadable fresh butter.

My butt is on.  It's a bit over 8 and a half pounds.  Bone in, skin on.

gallery_6263_35_30965.jpg

Temp is at 220.  This new bottom vent really fits tightly, so this could be interesting.

(edited to add photo and temp notes)

Thats a good looking butt you got there, Susan. What's todays choice of wood?

Today's choice of wood is hickory. The apple wasn't split and I can't find the axe (Paul is rearranging the garage, so I'll make sure he takes care of that this evening for tomorrow's bacon.

When I twisted the sausages last night, one split. So, it meant I had to "force" myself to fry it up in patties for today's breakfast/lunch.

gallery_6263_35_2033.jpg

Mighty tasty. This is only the third batch of sausage I've ever made, and I was much more careful about keeping things cold for the grind and bind, and it sure paid off. Not crumbly at all. Absolutely outstanding.

Sausage making is fun and rewarding, and what's especially neat is that I control what goes into them. I had made these sausages before, and this time I was able to adjust for salt and the other stuff that went in them. A little less salt, a bit more basil and more sun-dried tomatoes.

Today's choice of wood is hickory. The apple wasn't split and I can't find the axe (Paul is rearranging the garage, so I'll make sure he takes care of that this evening for tomorrow's bacon.

Paul has the axe? Is he a real big guy with a pet blue ox?

Butt after 3 hours

gallery_6263_35_25205.jpg

It's at 140 and the trusty old Kettle is running between 200 and 225, and I could get it lower if I want.

I am absolutely thrilled with my new vents. This thing is requiring far less tending. In fact, there's no reason I couldn't get it going and monitor it for a bit and then go out for a while! Happy dance!

Way too late, I decided to do dessert.  Once I saw the photos and recipe, I was bound and determined to make Ann_T's Silly Toffee Squares.

I feared a disaster and I started out.  I had a "bit of" burning on the bottom of the pan when I was doing the filling, but that was OK.

gallery_6263_35_28364.jpg

I don't think there are supposed to be bits of burnt caramel in the filling, but I'm determined to forge ahead.  I forgot to take a picture of the "crust" which went together like a dream.

Topped and ready for the fridge:

gallery_6263_35_111409.jpg

So, a few minutes ago, Peter and the buddy he has over for a sleepover demanded a taste.  They weren't chilled enough to cut cleanly, but, the boys and I were ready

gallery_6263_35_61220.jpg

At this state, these things are absolutely terrific, and I'm not a sweet eater.  Dulche/caramely meets crispy and very slightly chocolatey.  We will sleep well tonight!  I will report on this most worthy dessert again tomorrow after they've firmed up, but cutting just a bit too early is not a bad thing!

Now, does anyone want to tell me what to do with the pan in which I cooked the filling?

gallery_6263_35_753368.jpg

The scotchbrite didn't touch it, and Bar Keepers doesn't seem particularly effective.  I should have used a much heavier pan, but given the amount of ingrdients n the filling, this seemed lie the right sized pan.  I could just flat toss the pan, but it was my great grandmother's.....

Dear readers, ponder these treats and my pan.  It's been a long day and I am off to sleep, perchance to dream...since the masses will want food in the morning!

Snowangel, if you haven't gotten the pan clean yet, try this: fill pan about 2/3's full of water and dump in a good slop of Arm & Hammer baking soda. Bring water to a boil & let simmer for a few minutes. The carbon dioxide generated by the heated baking soda floats the burnt stuff off. Turn off the heat and let the pan soak until cool. The burnt on stuff should lift off.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"