• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ham on the Street

ulterior epicure

Not wanting to derail the "Next Food Network Star" thread, I've decided to spin-off this topic under its own name.

So, what's the deal with this George Duran character? I mean, seeing all of the hurdles that a new FN star must clear before getting a precious time-slot, how did this guy get on t.v.? Bowling with turkeys? :huh:

Don't get me wrong - I think Duran adds a very unique - in fact, I think the show's would be more appropriately entitled "And Now For Something Totally Different." But, I just wonder how this idea ever got pitched and/or approved?

Does anyone know anything about Duran? Better yet, has anyone worked with him? Know him personally? Would love to know more about his background!

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this guy has the makings of a superstar. He's genuine, he's funny, and he's genuinely funny. I haven't seen so many knockout punches from one guy since Roberto "Hands of Stone" Duran. And he seems to have Roberto's killer instinct, he really enjoys moving in for the "kill." (Hey, comedy is a violent business)

That scene with the guy sticking the spoon on his clear mask is comedy gold Kenny Banya could only dream of mining. I don't blame them for running that clip with every HOTS commercial, but there's other stuff that's funny, too.

Maybe he needs a new sobriquet, maybe George "Hams of Stone" Duran.

This isn't a bad show -- in fact, it's really quite decent (when you consider the alternatives on that network). He's got some of that ole' on-screen charisma.

I'm being a nerd here of course, but just in case: The word "ham" (in the world of theatre, movies etc.) means bad acting. Hamming it up, eating the scenery and whatnot.

A good cooking show contains three things -- I desire two of them, but could take or leave the third: information, inspiration, and entertainment. The entertainment part of a show is just a delivery vehicle for the important bits. Thus, I would normally hate it since it is predominately an entertainment show -- but it does offer some eye-opening bits of information about taste and appearance. That's pretty cool, in an Alton Brown sort of way.

Of course, who knows how the corporate suits will deal with his persona... Currently, he is definitely being promoted as a Wild and Crazy Guy! -- according to his FN bio, the one thing that differentiates him from other FN hosts, is that he cooks without underwear, and also likes nude stamp collecting. Har har, oh, how funny.

I sort of get the impression that he might know how to cook.

It's kind of like watching all three Stooges rolled into one guy who's cooking.....

My husband and son love it; I'm not as into it. I was on the fence about it - some of the episodes I liked, but it was when they bowled with turkeys that I realized I couldn't get past all the wasted food in the name of entertainment. I'm (foolishly) holding out hope that they donated an amount of food equal or greater than what they're playing with ....

It's kind of like watching all three Stooges rolled into one guy who's cooking.....

YES!!!

I really get a kick out of this show.

But so what if they used frozen turkeys in an impromtu bowling match? If you're going to research ineqitable food distribution, there are far more critical venues worthy of your scrutiny (IMHO). I'm just sayin'.

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

I liked when he made food out of free/available things from garden greens to "rock soup" it was kind of neat and interesting.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.