• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit Compound

David J.

I have been reading through Roger Geerts "Belgian Cocholates", and many times I run across one or another fruit compound. The problem for me is that I cannot find a small batch online. It comes in 1kg containers which I will never finish before the end of its three month shelf life.

What exactly is fruit compound, and is it practical to whip up a small batch on my own?

I bet if you followed RLB's technique of reducing fruit purees in the microwave you could come up with a reasonable substitute. I make a raspberry buttercream using that method and it has a nice bright clear flavor and color. Also, Frontier makes a line of flavorings you could use to jack up a dull flavor after the cooking.

I have been reading through Roger Geerts "Belgian Cocholates", and many times I run across one or another fruit compound.  The problem for me is that I cannot find a small batch online.  It comes in 1kg containers which I will never finish before the end of its three month shelf life.

What exactly is fruit compound, and is it practical to whip up a small batch on my own?

Compound is a commercial flavouring product. It is thick and contains natural and sometimes artificial flavours. It is available from pastry suppliers and www.qzina.com. Qzina has some discontinued flavours on sale (really inexpensively) wich is why I now have 1 kg jars of green tea and kiwi, in addition to all the usual flavours.

I think it would be a challange to make from scratch, not cost effective I suspect.

Big difference in mocca compounds, I really like the embassy flavours 4085.

Edited to say: read the damn question before you jump in and answer it - you want small batches and I'm directing you right back to the 1 kg sizes.

Let me give you the label stuff from mango compound to see if you could get all the stuff to imitate it

flavouring components: natural flavouring substances

further ingredients: sugar, mango juice concentrate(29.5%) glucose syrup, citric acid, colouring matter:E160 a

If you want a small sample of some different flavours just e-mail me and I'll put together some and send it to you.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

What I am wondering is what I can do to substitute for the fruit compound. I like the idea of the reduced puree if that would work. I am not making enough of any flavor right now to work in large batches.

Does anyone know if a thickend puree would work, and if so, how thick and what the weight for weight exchange would be? I don't think the exact amount would be all that critical as it appears to be more of a flavor inclusion than a structural ingredient.

I feel your pain, David. I had the same experience before looking at strawberry flavor compounds (Dreidoppel, I think) that Wendy recommended a while back. I would love to try some of these, but it would be a huge waste to buy a kg of it.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Pardon my ignorance, which I hope, will be exonerated by my (thickskinned) will to learn...

Well...these fruit compounds are not available to us homebakers here (unless I go the online route). I came across these flavoured syrups which look mighty interesting. Can these be used instead to flavour desserts? I can get those locally.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I bet if you followed RLB's technique of reducing fruit purees in the microwave you could come up with a reasonable substitute.

McDuff, Who is RLB and can you tell us the technique? I have tried reducing Boiron's raspberry and mango purees in the microwave, and while I've been satisified with the results, I always feel as though I am violating the heat restriction and possibly losing some flavor compounds. Sorry if I should know who RLB is, maybe it's too early for me!

Jennifer

I bet if you followed RLB's technique of reducing fruit purees in the microwave you could come up with a reasonable substitute.

McDuff, Who is RLB and can you tell us the technique? I have tried reducing Boiron's raspberry and mango purees in the microwave, and while I've been satisified with the results, I always feel as though I am violating the heat restriction and possibly losing some flavor compounds. Sorry if I should know who RLB is, maybe it's too early for me!

Jennifer

RLB is Rose Levy Beranbaum, author of several baking (and one cooking) books. She describes a method to reduce the juice of thawed, drained frozen raspberries and strawberries (as well as regular fresh squeezed OJ for orange curd) in the microwave to concentrate the juices into a thick syrup. It's not the same as what you'd get in a compound (there's no sugar in the syrup, you add some to taste to the entire puree). The berry puree has a fresh, clean flavor, but you would probably use more of the puree than a compound because of the concentration.

You might want to consider asking Amoretti if they'd sell you smaller size jars. They have sample sizes that are about a third of a cup and maybe that's all you need. I love the Driedoppel fruit compounds, and their champagne compound; but for others, I like different brands. I use the Amoretti eggnog compound for cheesecake at Christmas.

Pardon my ignorance, which I hope, will be exonerated by my (thickskinned) will to learn...

Well...these fruit compounds are not available to us homebakers here (unless I go the online route). I came across these flavoured syrups which look mighty interesting. Can these be used instead to flavour desserts? I can get those locally.

Great thought and while these syrups have their uses, the are generally too sweet and you have to add far too much liquid to get the flavour. A compound flavour is a whole lot stronger for a lot less volume. A couple of teaspoons added to a batch of chocolate centre really punches up the flavour, while not thinning down the mixture appreciably.

• 1 year later...

Hello! I am new here... I love this site. The pastry and baking community seem so global and friendly!

Anyway, as I live in a non English speaking country, I am having trouble finding fruit compound, especially since I don't exactly know what it is. If I can describe it, perhaps I can find it! Or make it... If anyone can help, Iwould really appreciate it.

Lior

Welcome.

What does it look, smell, or taste like?

What kind of fruits are in it?

What kind of texture?

Is it like a jam of different fruits? Or a juice product?

What kind of dishes would you use it in?

Does it come in a can, jar, bottle, or something else?

Where did you get it before?

Give us any clues you have and I bet we can come up with something.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Welcome Lior,

I assume since the question is in pastry and baking you are asking about flavouring compounds. These are mixtures of fruits, natural and artificial flavourings that are used to boost the fruit flavour in pastry items. We use them in chocolate centers as well. They come in 1 kg jars usually are are a thick jammy consistancy. On their own they smell and taste rather revolting.

Manufacturers include Kessko, Sucrea and Fruibel. I would check with a bakery supply company.

What country are you in?

Well thanks! We have Fruibel here! I got the notion from recipes in Roger Geert's book. He has ganaches that require , for example, strawberry compound. I would rather use natural, and I am concerned of buying the wrong thing and having horrible tasting ganache. I have never used or tasted this fruit compound beforesoI cannot really describe it! I am from Israel.

Thanks

Lior

Lior,

Fruit compound is very strong in flavour and does contain artificial flavouring and colours. It would be much easier for me to use rather than making my own purees. I am a puritan and am dead against anything artificial so I would never use them. To use these flavourings, you only need a very small amount. I am sure that these flavourings would also extend the shelf life of a chocolate bonbon.

I'd certainly recommend staying away from the compounds because they're so artificial tasting and the texture is somewhat disgusting as well.

Try using some all natural fruit purees such as Boiron Freres which only have a little sugar added (5-10%) and I believe they're available worldwide.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

• 3 months later...

I just found this topic and while John suggests that the flavors are not ideal, I was given 36 different samples that demand to be used. I've never used them but assume I can work them into anything that I want the flavoring. I'll start simple with mousses and pastry creams - what are the obvious uses that I'm missing?

Thanks