• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blodgett Bakery Depth Double Oven

Darcie B

For those of you who purchase equipment and/or have started their own bakery, I would like to know how much a Blodgett double bakery depth oven should cost at auction.

Here's a picture:

oven.jpg

I am waiting on details but know that it is at least 5 years old, probably older, and has been sitting for 2-3 years.

How much would you bid? I am clueless.

I have an opportunity to do some baking for a local coffee house using their kitchen (a chuch kitchen with 30 year old home quality gas ranges), so would like to have something better to bake in. I already checked with local used places and they don't have anything at the moment. A friend alerted me to this auction, which is next Wednesday, so I need to get advice quickly.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

When I do stuff like that, I go to the manufacturer's web page & dig around. Then I go on ebay and dig around. That'snot exactly a dollar figure I'm giving you but that's how I determine what something is worth.

sorry i don't know how much you should bid, BUT

since the kitchen is currently using home style ranges, etc. you should make sure that something like this is compatible with their gas lines, electrical, etc.

it would be too bad to buy something and then for it to be cost prohibitive to install it.

of course, ignore this if you already thought of that :biggrin:

The Blodgett I have is similar to the top unit except mine has glass in the doors and mine has the bottom three rails taken up by the steamer.

I got it at auction for $790.00 but had to pay to have it trucked down from the bay area, then had to have a separate gas line, and a separate exhaust system in addition to the firewalls. Altogether I think it was about $3500.00 total when I had it installed in 1994.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a Vulcan gas convection oven with glass doors similar to the top unit. I bought it used with a few other items for a total package deal of $1200, but installation (chimney, gas line) added another $500 or so. Unless the coffee house does huge volume, which is doubtful if they've gotten by with home ranges, I think the Blodgett would be overkill. Frankly, my oven is much more than I need. It takes up too much space and it is costly to run, given recent fuel increases. I would have done better with a commercial countertop convection oven holding half sheet pans.

Ilene

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. The kitchen has wiring for a large electric oven and a large gas line plus a large exhaust system so it should basically be a plug and play operation.

I have a Vulcan gas convection oven with glass doors similar to the top unit. I bought it used with a few other items for a total package deal of $1200, but installation (chimney, gas line) added another $500 or so. Unless the coffee house does huge volume, which is doubtful if they've gotten by with home ranges, I think the Blodgett would be overkill. Frankly, my oven is much more than I need. It takes up too much space and it is costly to run, given recent fuel increases. I would have done better with a commercial countertop convection oven holding half sheet pans.

They are currently buying their baked goods from a commercial bakery, not using the crappy ovens now there. I haven't baked anything in them yet but it's going to take a long time to bake even a small volume in those ovens, which is why I am looking for something bigger. If I don't win this auction I plan to buy a single commercial convention oven but I hope to get this oven for less than a new single oven. We'll see...

Do you have any restaurant supply shops nearby that sell good used ovens? We have one here that offers a 30 day warranty on all their used convection ovens. If anything goes wrong in that time they send someone out. I would just feel a bit more comfortable knowing there was someone backing my oven even if only for a short time.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Do you have any restaurant supply shops nearby that sell good used ovens? We have one here that offers a 30 day warranty on all their used convection ovens. If anything goes wrong in that time they send someone out. I would just feel a bit more comfortable knowing there was someone backing my oven even if only for a short time.

My husband is a master mechanic and electrical wizard so I am not worried about that.

We only have one used appliance store and right now they don't have anything I can use, although they are supposed to call if something comes in.

My bet is that I am bidding against them in the auction... :hmmm:

So far I am winning the auction, but I am sure that most active bidders will be at the live auction on Wednesday, and I can't participate. I have to just hope my max bid will be enough.