• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasting Pans: The Topic

Marlene

I have to add that selecting a shallow sheet pan or deeper roasting pan depends entirely on the end result you want.

I want roasted vegetables with a deep, rich combined flavor that, odd as it seems, actually end up with a "meaty" flavor, even though nothing remotely meaty has been added, and this can be considered a strictly vegetarian dish.

For my purposes, I want this either for a side dish, a base for soups or for my vegetarian friends, a main dish.

If I want roasted vegetables that have a crusty exterior, then I roast them in one layer on a sheet pan. This way each retains its own distinct flavor and that is okay too. These are fine for serving with roasts, or as a bed for grilled or fried meat, fowl or fish.

It all depends on what you want for your particular needs.

When I do the large batches, as shown above, I stir the vegetables several times during the roasting. This is not possible on a sheet pan, I know from experience.

When I prepare vegetables in this way, I can divide the batch, add vegetable broth or stock and blend some of the vegetables into the stock then add some of the still chunky to this for a wonderful vegetarian soup. To another part I can add chicken or beef stock and do the same thing. Each will have a distinctive flavor.

The roasted vegetables can be stuffed into pita bread, for a very flavorful (and vegetarian) "sandwich" .

To me, and this is simply my personal preference, the vegetables roasted in this manner are more versatile than those roasted on a sheet pan. I suggest that one try both ways, preparing small batches, and see which result is to your taste.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

There are several "Roast Vegetable" threads which should be merged. There is a great deal of information in just these few.

Roast Vegetables, crispy golden sweetness

Roasted vegetable thread

Scrumptious roasted vegetables

Roasted Beets

I haven't included the roast potato, roast tomato, etc., threads.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Here's a couple of photos of my Kirkland Signature roasting pan & rack from Costco:

But this is a new pan, and you prob roasted the pork loin in the 300-400 range...I can't imagine this pan could take the extended high temp in the 450-500 degree range without discoloring, gumming, etc....the non stick will create that sticky gummy residue, IMO. this pan is perfectly acceptable for roasting meat, but not the best choice for roasting vegetables.

I vote for sheet pans for roasting vegetables, or for smaller qunatities, a dedicated calphalon straight sided sautee pan... I figure charred specs just intensify the flavor of the next veg cooked in it, :shock:

It's cast iron for me all the way, except for the suckling pig that I put on a full sheet pan (Yes, my oven will hold one. That's why I tried the pig.) I have a 17 inch skillet that will hold a roasting rack, will accomodate just about any roast and still have room on the sides for roasted vegetables. For smaller quantities I use a cast iron pan measuring about 7 by 12, 1 1/2 inches deep. A favorite is "roast melange of winter vegetables" in which olive oil coated root vegetables are roasted with bay leaf, salt, and pepper. I use potatoes, turnips, parsnips, and garlic. Except for stock pots and a chef's pan, all my pans are cast iron.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

i'm in search of the best roasting pan, or a really high-quality one.  i'm primarily going to be using it to roast vegetables and if it's inducive to deglazing that would be great. 

regarding price:  i'm willing to spend a couple of hundred or so, if that's really what's going to get me the best, most durable, usable pan (although i'm not on a +quest+ to spend that much).

Specifically for roasting Veg, with a view to deglazing, I'm one more voice for cast iron.

A touch of background. I wouldn't have paid money for this particular pan. But I got a ridiculously good deal on this Le Creuset set, and the "rectangular baking dish" was in for a hefty *negative* price. It was heavy and just a baking dish. It got stashed away. Time passed.

I got an induction hob. (Fantastic). But my aluminium roasting tin couldn't be deglazed on the hob. The dish reappeared...

Now, Someone-I-Used-To-Know was a Veggie. And she hated my heavy Le Creuset pans. BUT she was completely bowled over by this pan for roasting veg. I'd say it was was fine for roasting meat, pretty damn useful for pasta and the like (stays hot nicely) and if she'd agree with me on anything now, it would be that the cast iron pan made for truly special roasted veg...

In the UK, the 12"x8" pan sells for a price equivalent to about $100 - but you should look for deals, for example on old colours.

It cleans up without much problem, but unlike a non-stick pan, it will give you something worth deglazing. Having tried a few other pans, I can say that the cast iron one *is* different, and better for veg. I'd be astonished if you were unhappy with the performance of one. Its weight is a nuisance, for storage and washing, as well as lifting to and from the oven. But it does seem to *work* better...

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

It's cast iron for me all the way, except for the suckling pig that I put on a full sheet pan (Yes, my oven will hold one.  That's why I tried the pig.)   I have a 17 inch skillet that will hold a roasting rack, will accomodate just about any roast and still have room on the sides for roasted vegetables.  For smaller quantities I use a cast iron pan measuring about 7 by 12, 1 1/2 inches deep.  A favorite is "roast melange of winter vegetables" in which olive oil coated root vegetables are roasted with bay leaf, salt, and pepper.  I use potatoes, turnips, parsnips, and garlic.   Except for stock pots and a chef's pan, all my pans are cast iron.

Ahhhh, another cast iron fan -- but, then, we're not talking specifically about vegies; however, I put one of the ol' irons to good use last night browning some scallops.

Wow, a FULL sheet pan - neat!

Sidecar Ron

Edited by RonC (log)

Is it worth investing a large sum of money in a roasting pan if it's only used a couple of times a year? Advice would be appreciated.

No!

I use a cheapo enameled pan for all meat, and it works just fine. Keep the bottom wet [i.e., dump in some water periodically] so the meat juices don't cook away and scorch. Watch the heat when deglazing. And that's it. Those expensive pans are a waste of money.

Richard

i know you specified that you didn't mind what amount of money you spent on a roasting pan, but my very favourite is my non stick frying pan! i took the handle off and roast everything in it. i bought an identical one to replace the original frying pan, since it was losing its non stickiness and i haven't looked back.

i know you specified that you didn't mind what amount of money you spent on a roasting pan, but my very favourite is my non stick frying pan! i took the handle off and roast everything in it. i bought an identical one to replace the original frying pan, since it was losing its non stickiness and i haven't looked back.

I have a 12" Wear-Ever (uncoated aluminum) frying pan that I use mostly for roasting. It's not impossibly heavy, and the long handle makes it easy to get hold of than a cast iron pan.

A large chicken fits perfectly, particularly when surrounded by mushrooms, (unpeeled) pearl onions and the bottom half of a head of garlic (the tips put in the cavity along with several sprigs of rosemary) and a whole stick of butter.

• 3 weeks later...

Cooking.com has a sale on Calphalon going on right now. Some items are already sold out.

Roasters at Cooking.com

I have several roasting pans and use the Calphalon non-stick, which, unlike most non-stick cookware, does allow the development of fond. at less than $65.00 it is a pretty good buy.

I also use it for a lasagna pan as it is deep enough - It also does a bang-up tamale pie for a crowd.

However, on page two there is a covered graniteware roaster which is an excellent buy and these are a good, all round roaster for cooking all kinds of things. Sometimes it is handy to have a covered roaster.

I have a stainless All-Clad roaster, the smaller one, that I got at a deep discount at Linen's 'N things a couple of years ago, right after Christmas.

However, on page two there is a covered graniteware roaster which is an excellent buy and these are a good, all round roaster for cooking all kinds of things.  Sometimes it is handy to have a covered roaster. 

That's the exact same pan my mom has used all these years. She makes her pork roast and sauerkraut in it. It's also held the Thanksgiving turkey more than once. Thanks, andie for posting this link!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

So, when people say they prefer cast iron, are we talking Le Crueset type pans or Lodge type pans? I'm more inclined to get cast iron because of the results I get with my CI fry pans.

Also, why hasn't clay been recommended as a roaster for veggies?

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

So, when people say they prefer cast iron, are we talking Le Crueset type pans or Lodge type pans?  I'm more inclined to get cast iron because of the results I get with my CI fry pans.

Also, why hasn't clay been recommended as a roaster for veggies?

A seasoned cast-iron skillet is fine for something like a roasted chicken, unless you are cooking something acidic -- tomato sauce, wine in the deglazed pan sauce and such. It's hard on the skillet and some people report a slightly metallic or off taste to the sauce.

I also use enamelled LC baking pans and earthenware baking pans for roasting vegetables. A half-sheet pan also works fine.

However, on page two there is a covered graniteware roaster which is an excellent buy and these are a good, all round roaster for cooking all kinds of things.  Sometimes it is handy to have a covered roaster. 

That's the exact same pan my mom has used all these years. She makes her pork roast and sauerkraut in it. It's also held the Thanksgiving turkey more than once. Thanks, andie for posting this link!

Toliver, I have been thinking that for a long time (more since this thread appeared). My mom also did all of her turkeys (T-Giving and Christmas) in one of those. I have similar ones in my camping gear. Whay do I discount them for kitchen use ??? I have Kitchen Aid and Calphalon roasters..... Why ???

Toliver, I have been thinking that for a long time (more since this thread appeared). My mom also did all of her turkeys (T-Giving and Christmas) in one of those. I have similar ones in my camping gear. Whay do I discount them for kitchen use ??? I have Kitchen Aid and Calphalon roasters..... Why ???

Because it doesn't have a fancy designer name attached. :wink:

After about 40 years of use, my mom's roaster is finally showing its age (rust spots). It's good knowing where I can get a replacement.

Tim Oliver

• 8 months later...

Admin: Threads merged.

Slate article

In the interest of offering you one sure piece of advice for your Thanksgiving meal, I tested six roasting pans, priced from $9.99 to $274.95.

All are designed with the Thanksgiving roaster in mind. Five feature a poultry rack, the theory being that, during a three- to four-hour cooking time, the rack allows juices to drip to the bottom and heat to circulate around the entire carcass rather than only over the top. Bear in mind that your roasting pan itself will not have much effect on the taste of your turkey (how you prepare the bird will determine that), but your roaster can significantly affect the cosmetic appearance of the finished product, and some are much easier to use and clean up than others.

The author tested the pan, the rack, and the cleanup ... you might be interested to learn the results ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

As a home cook, I think his methodology needs work so his final evaluation is suspect as far as I'm concerned.

First off, what home cook doesn't line a pan with foil for easy clean up? I also lean towards overkill and spray the roasting pan with a non-stick spray and then line the pan with foil so it's always quite easy to clean up. In my kitchen, this makes just about every roasting pan a good roasting pan in regards to clean up.

And he uses a rack with all of the roasting pans but not with the first pan, the granite enameled pan? Is this because it didn't come with one? He's an idiot then. Put a rack in the granite enameled pan before putting the turkey in it. Duh. You know you've got a spare rack leaning to the side of that cupboard in your kitchen.

Another question...because the first pan tested came with a lid this means he has to use it? Again, he's an idiot. Leave the lid off. None of the other pans came with lids. Why use a different roasting method (using the lid) with this one pan? Besides, if you leave the lid on you're braising not roasting.

Maybe he needed a roasting pan for the holidays and convinced his editors to pony up the money for a test. I wonder who gets to keep the pans. :hmmm:

Tim Oliver

First off, what home cook doesn't line a pan with foil for easy clean up?

Me. I don't.

How am I going to take the roasting pan from the oven to the stovetop to deglaze and scrape up all the concentrated bits of roastey goodness if there's foil all over the inside of the pan?

--