• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Chinese in Morris County?

ChefJeff

Date night tonight, and I'm trying to swing a Dinner & Movie in and/or around Morris County.

What's the verdict on the best chinese around here ? Mr. Chu on Route 10?

I'd love to make the trek to China 46, but I'm not familiar with the area and would like to add a movie to tonight's itinerary.

Thanks for your help!

Mr. Chu is a very solid restaurant, as is Noodle Chu, in Parsippany.

However Mr. Chu is fancy american chinese. Noodle Chu is Hong Kong style.

Hunan Cottage in Fairfield is also authentic Shanghainese, like China 46 in Ridgefield.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'd say that in Morris County, you'd have to go to Hunan Taste in Denville.

Hunan Cottage is excellent, but that's Essex, and China 46 is outstanding, but that's Bergen.

I think that Hunan Taste is underrated simply because it is a bit more "out of the way," and hasn't been reviewed by as many egulleters.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I think that Hunan Taste is underrated simply because it is a bit more "out of the way," and hasn't been reviewed by as many egulleters.

I havent been there, but I can tell you that from the menus they post on their website, it looks like very straightforward chinese american and not at all interesting. Is this another place with a "secret menu" like Hunan Cottage?

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

BTW in regards to China 46 in Ridgefield, its practically sitting right next to the SONY Ridgefield multiplex. You can't do much better than that for dinner and a movie! :laugh:

I havent been there, but I can tell you that from the menus they post on their website, it looks like very straightforward chinese american and not at all interesting. Is this another place with a "secret menu" like Hunan Cottage?

I think that with Hunan Taste, their strength is in the house specialties. They do a good job with their straight-up dishes too. This place is definitely not your standard Americanized Chinese garbage.

They also have nightly specials.

While I wouldn't put Hunan Taste on the same level as China 46 and Hunan Cottage as far as the range of authentic dishes and creativitiy, it is the best Chinese place I have been to in Morris County.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

yes

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Speaking of Fairfield, there's a place in the Calandra Bakery mall (forget the name) that's dirt cheap, greasy as heck, incredibly tacky interiour, cafeteria style, completely unsuitable for a date, but man is it delicious. How pretentious is your date? Could she handle the Chinese American equivalent of Micky D's? I still can't get over the freshness of the chicken/broccoli in the Chicken and Broccoli.

That's my favorite Chinese restaurant in Morris County.

Speaking of Fairfield, there's a place in the Calandra Bakery mall (forget the name) that's dirt cheap, greasy as heck, incredibly tacky interiour, cafeteria style, completely unsuitable for a date, but man is it delicious. How pretentious is your date? Could she handle the Chinese American equivalent of Micky D's?  I still can't get over the freshness of the chicken/broccoli in the Chicken and Broccoli.

That's my favorite Chinese restaurant in Morris County.

For the record, Fairfield is in ESSEX COUNTY!

Unfortunately, a couple of places we used to go to when we lived in Morris County (Cedar Knolls) have since closed. There was a great take out place in the Mall where the Walmart is now, and something with Moon in the name (China Moon, Harvest Moon?) near the train station.

Actually, Morris County is pretty big - what towns did you want to be in/near?

So, opinions of the places I've been to that are still open and in Morris County:

On Rt 10: Mr. Chu's, like Jason said, fancy Americanized Chinese, but very good food and service. Usually a wait at popular hours. Pretty restaurant, nice for a date. Bill and Harry's, we've only been to once since Harry (Chu) left. It was pretty much the same, I like the peach chicken they have there. But we felt more loyalty to Harry, so we stick to Mr. Chu's or Noodle Chu, for Hong Kong style dim sum and roast meats.

Noodle Chu is on Rt 46 W in Parsippany, further west, but on Rt 46 E is Hunan Noodle House, which is excellent, although non-descript in decor. Try the basil beef, mmm, and hand cut noodle soups.

I've been to China Chalet in Florham Park, but with my parents and not Jason. So we didn't order very adventurously. I would go again, but without the folks who don't want the house specialties.

Most of this is probably too late for your date last night, though. Where did you end up going and how was it?

I totally forgot about Hunan Noodle House. Thats an excellent restaurant. Their sister restaurant, Taipei Noodle House in Teaneck is also very good, but its usually a mob scene at night, especially on weekends.

There was a great take out place in the Mall where the Walmart is now, and something with Moon in the name (China Moon, Harvest Moon?) near the train station.

August Moon. Seriously old school chinese restaurant. I grew up on their spare ribs. From age 5 to 10 that was about all I'd eat- spareribs and hamburgers. Funny, I'm still a little like that ;)

I think the cheaper Hunan Wok a few doors down took a lot of their business. It's sad - Hunan Wok just wasn't as good.