• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team IV: Marlene, Dave, snowangel - Cold Turkey, Three Ways

I have never smoked and thus never quit, but I am very very good at beating myself up about almost everything that I want to do but don't. It really wears you out and is absolutely good for nothing.

Wow, that certainly hit the nails on the head for me. What is it about most of us that we're like this? I've survived and overcome lots of things in my life, but this remains the hardest for me.

....Multiply that by what you all are doing right now, and not doing right now, and publicly, I can hardly imagine but I totally admire and respect you.

....And the food!! Sweet! Marlene, the hot roast beef sandwich looked so good. I haven't had that in years. I love the looks of those onion rings, too, and I want some like that on top of the next steak I have. They remind me of those that are served atop a beef stroganoff recipe I have.

Fast lunch; it was ready in 4 minutes.

gallery_6263_35_26430.jpg

Susan, I am going to search the Asian markets I go to for MAMA noodles. That meal is for me! Your dinner last night looked damn good too.

I hope Dave is OK... have either of you heard from him behind the scenes, so we know that he is OK?

LOL, this might be the most impressive of all:

gallery_6080_2511_32819.jpg

Kudos to all, including those that are joining in along with the official bloggers.

What she said. All of it. (Nice oven! :biggrin:)

It took the funeral of a friend, and my beating myself up over a misunderstanding that would now never be satisfactorily resolved, to really grok that line in the Lord's Prayer: "forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who've trespassed against us". Suddenly it made sense to me: "cut us some slack, as we cut others slack - and by the way, help us to cut ourselves some slack too". I still beat myself up, but not as badly or for as long. As others have noted, count your progress instead of your slippage.

Stroganoff! Snowangel, have you ever made venison stroganoff? It's a household favorite around here. I'll bet elk would be good prepared that way too.

Marlene, I was going to suggest cucumber dill soup (with some yogurt or sour cream, a bit of garlic, how can that be bad?) but while I've been trying and failing to format this post the way I'd like I see you've decided on roasted peach. Ooh, much better!

No, star anise isn't the same as anise, and I don't think it would be a good substitute, but I'm not sure what would. Allspice, cinnamon and pepper, perhaps? Others in the know may giggle if I'm off base, but maybe they can jump in with a good substitution. I confess, I have a package of the stuff in my cupboard and have yet to try it.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I'm going to start on the French Onion soup. Somebody help me with the peach soup and anise thing.

My oven is so clean I'm afraid to use it! Of course it's also shamed me into cleaning my fridge, but that will have to be tomorrow's project, for today we cook!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I do have a question though.  What the heck is Star Ainse and can I use anise seed instead? 

very recent (last week!) thread on star anise :wink:

Native to China, star anise comes from a small evergreen tree. Although the flavor of its seeds is derived from anethol (the same oil that gives Anise seed its pronounced flavor), star anise has a different heritage -- the magnolia family. Its flavor is slightly more bitter than that of regular anise seed. In Asian cuisines, star anise is a commonly used spice and tea flavoring. It's also widely used to flavor liqueurs and baked goods in Western cultures. It can be found whole in Asian markets and some supermarkets,
Answers.com always has a good example ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Good morning all.  It is sunny but rather cold today.  The thermometer on my deck currently reads -9C  (someone else do the conversion).  I am about to make soups.  I found a really nice roasted peach soup that I think Ryan will like.  I do have a question though.  What the heck is Star Ainse and can I use anise seed instead? 

I couldn't find star anise anywhere for love nor money. The recipe calls for 1 star ainse, cracked.

Help!

(oh and we've heard from Dave.  I can't speak to his smoking or not, but he is having major connection problems.)

I know you're a long way from Kensington, but you can find star anise there.  It actually looks like a small dried star.    You can use 1/2 tsp crushed anise seed for 1 star anise.

Marlene, I found star anise in an Asian market, and though this doesn't make sense and maybe I drempt it, but in the Latino section of a supermarket, in amongst those little plastic bags of various dried herbs and spices.... ??? I don't know if you have time for that to help you find some...

Thanks for the news that at least Dave is OK, even if his connection is not.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Congratulations & good luck to all of you! I started smoking during rush week my sophmore year in college - mainly to have something to do with my hands - & it stuck. Stopped on 25 December 1986 at 1.26 p.m. after lunch outside at a beach resort south of Madras, India - my last cigarette was smoked with husband & daughter preaching about the nasty habit. I chose India & the vacation because 1) it was away from my routine & 2) Indian cigarettes at the time were really nasty tasting. I had brief relapses & still occasionally smoke a really good cigar but don't regret stopping for one minute. I think the addiction is definitely psychological & has to do with oral gratification & having something to do with the hands. Keep up the good fight & don't worry too much about temporary relapses. It'll get easier every day & you'll really enjoy not being slaves to cigarettes, shucking that nasty smoke odor that permeates everything, not to mention being able to walk long distances without gasping...

No, star anise isn't the same as anise, and I don't think it would be a good substitute, but I'm not sure what would.  Allspice, cinnamon and pepper, perhaps?  Others in the know may giggle if I'm off base, but maybe they can jump in with a good substitution.  I confess, I have a package of the stuff in my cupboard and have yet to try it.

I know you're a long way from Kensington, but you can find star anise there.  It actually looks like a small dried star.    You can use 1/2 tsp crushed anise seed for 1 star anise.

Shows what I know! :blush::smile:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Marlene . . . About cleaning your oven. I am going to assume that it is "self cleaning" meaning a high heat cycle since the walls are stainless and not coated with that "continuous clean" coating. My oven in my house was self cleaning. I think the racks were chrome plated. I always just left the racks in during the cleaning cycle. They took on a slight bluish cast that didn't bother me so I kept doing it. I had that oven for about 6 years and they were still fine when I sold the house. I think the oven instructions told you to take them out. With my materials knowledge I quickly decided that was bunk and probably only alluded to the appearance thing. I suspect that your racks are stainless steel which would really makes me wonder why you shouldn't just leave them in.

The whole concept of cold soup in the winter gives me the shivers. And we haven't had winter here. :laugh: But then, I don't really care for cold soups anyway. I have wondered about heating up cold soup recipes. I did that with a gazpacho once. My son and I made it out of curiosity, didn't really like it cold, and proceeded to heat it up before continuing dinner. We pronounced it good. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Ryan loves cold soups regardless of the weather. Now here's another really dumb question. I'm supposed to halve the peaches. In case anyone hasn't noticed, it's impossible to do this with the pit in. So how do I get the pit out so I can have peach halves? :blink:

Marlene

I'm supposed to halve the peaches.  In case anyone hasn't noticed, it's impossible to do this with the pit in.  So how do I get the pit out so I can have peach halves? :blink:

I'd blanch the peaches before I halved them, to make it easier to slip the skins off.

This is what I'd do to halve them, but I sure hope someone else chimes in with a slick trick that works better:

Stand the peach on its pointy end, and run a paring knife around the seam, top to bottom, all the way around, all the way to the pit. If you were lucky enough to have freestone peaches, your work would be essentially done at this point.

With cling peaches, I'd grab the two halves and twist, wriggle and wrestle with it. One half should eventually come loose. Then use the paring knife to cut the pit out of the other half. If the twisting fails, I've had to resort to fishing around with the tip of the knife, trying to carve the pit loose from one half.

If you are willing to sacrifice a central slice of peach, you could try slicing down both sides, just to the outside of the pit (like slicing the cheeks off a mango).

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Stand the peach on its pointy end, and run a paring knife around the seam, top to bottom, all the way around, all the way to the pit.

It works better if you slice 90 degrees from the seam, or up to the flat sides of the pit.

SB :wink:

Ryan loves cold soups regardless of the weather.  Now here's another really dumb question.  I'm supposed to halve the peaches.  In case anyone hasn't noticed, it's impossible to do this with the pit in.  So how do I get the pit out so I can have peach halves? :blink:

Treat the peach like an avocado. Rotate the peach around the knife. Twist the halves apart (some won't want to come apart). Once apart, pry the seed out with a paring knife and trim the innards.

If it won't come apart, treat it like a mango and slice past the pit on both sides. You will lose some peach but not too much.

Also, some peaches are of the Freestone family. If that's the variety you have, the pit should come out easily .

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've discovered why peaches don't make it into my repetroire much. Ok, they're halved. Not pretty but they are. I figure since they are going to be pureed, they didn't need to be pretty. (I'll take note of that blanching thing for peeling next time)

The French Onion soup is simmering. The peaches are roasting and the peach syrup is infusing. The dough is being made in my bread machine. (don't even start with me about the wonders of making your own bread from scratch).

Susan and I were talking about what to make for dinner tonight and we agreed that soups and bread was the way to go on a night when I needed something fast and quick since Ryan and I need to be out the door for music lessons at 6:30.

Fast and easy? What on earth was I thinking?! I need coffee.

Marlene

I've discovered why peaches don't make it into my repetroire much.  Ok, they're halved.  Not pretty but they are.  I figure since they are going to be pureed, they didn't need to be pretty.

The French Onion soup is simmering.  The peaches are roasting and the peach syrup is infusing. The dough is being made in my bread machine. (don't even start with me about the wonders of making your own bread from scratch).

Susan and I were talking about what to make for dinner tonight and we agreed that soups and bread was the way to go on a night when I needed something fast and quick since Ryan and I need to be out the door for music lessons at 6:30.

Fast and easy?  What on earth was I thinking?!  I need coffee.

For your peach soup, I am pretty sure I got my star anise at The Bulk Barn - you might give them a call to be sure but it can't be too far from you. And I would put money on Whole Foods having star anise. Their selection of spices is amazing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'll check Whole Foods when I go there tomorrow. I was out of time and I used some of the anise seed that I had and crushed it. I must say my kitchen smells wonderful! The dough is resting and almost ready to shape into a french loaf. The soup is chilling. (peach that is)

I've got coffee. I'm exhuasted.

Marlene

At least it won't require a lot of last minute preparations!

Bread question. The dough has been in the fridge since last night. I'm doing the pain a l'acienne from Bread Baker's Apprentice and am trying to decide when to take it out of the fridge and what time to bake it.

I'm going to have to run out in a bit because I am out of garlic and olive oil (the every day kind). I don't know how that happened.

Edited to add: don't sand drywall mud while wearing black polar fleece pants :shock:

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

At least it won't require a lot of last minute preparations!

yeah, that's what I keep telling myself (as I run the dishwasher for the third time this morning.)

Marlene

What kind of bread are we having Marlene? I need some ideas as all my faves needed to be started last night, and I didn't do it 'cause I was too busy playing with the new puppy. I note that Susan started hers last night even with everything going on. Very impressive ladies, and just to add my two cents worth (although I have no right as I do smoke) it is never a failure to slip a bit, all the cigarettes you didn't smoke are the success.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Stand the peach on its pointy end, and run a paring knife around the seam, top to bottom, all the way around, all the way to the pit.

It works better if you slice 90 degrees from the seam, or up to the flat sides of the pit.

That's good to know.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Bread question. The dough has been in the fridge since last night. I'm doing the pain a l'acienne from Bread Baker's Apprentice and am trying to decide when to take it out of the fridge and what time to bake it.

I have made this several times and am not sure I have it right yet. Reinhart is near euphoria over this. I do not think I have made it to there yet. However, I take it out and let it come to room temperture. I find it takes a little more than an hour for me. I find it is best to bake it with time enough for it to cool down before eating. So, I try to have it come out of the oven 30 to 45 minutes before I want to eat it. I have found that is when I like it best. Made hours ahead, I did not like it as much. I love his book and highly endorse the semolina bread. My favorite from the book

Edited by lancastermike (log)

That's good to know.

You can also slice around the circumference horizontally. This way, (just as when you slice 90 degrees from the crease), the sharp edges of the pit become a cutter as you twist the peach halves, as opposed to trying to break the pit loose along it's strongest points of attachment.

SB (it works okay with plums too) :wink:

I'm going to call my mom right now and apologize for all the heck I gave her for picking up smoking again and again. I had no idea. Thank you so much for bringing such realness to this subject. You are so very brave to do this on such a public forum. Be kind to yourselves and know that whatever the outcome, no one will love you or respect you any less.

Marlen: beautiful oven!!!

Snowangel: what a cute boy! I just love the tales of the packed freezer and clearing out of god-knows-how-that-got-in-there! I'm often surprised by the accumulation of sauces, condiments, spices, etc.

We ate early tonight because of music lessons, and Susan is of course right. Once I got all the work out of the way earlier, dinner was a snap to pull together.

I started out this morning making French Onion Soup first. Now, I normally make my onion soup with Onion Confit, but for once I didn't actually have any in the fridge. Ok, so I'll carmelize the onions the old fashioned way. I used both red and yellow onions for this. By the way, it takes an incredibly long time to carmelize onions when you're in a hurry.

gallery_6080_2520_23573.jpg

gallery_6080_2520_9601.jpg

While the onions were carmelizing, I made croutons for the soup. I like lots of croutons in my soup as oposed to the single toast point that is traditional. For one thing, lots of croutons hold up the cheese better and for another, they stay relatively crispy, and I'm not a fan of soggy toast.

When I'm not making a lot of croutons, I'll buy one or two of these to cube up.

gallery_6080_2520_28562.jpg

In the meantime, I melt butter, olive oil and garlic paste together. I use garlic paste instead of minced garlic because I find that the minced pieces just burn when the croutons are baking. The paste allows you to spread the garlic throughout the oil/butter mix and remains smooth.

gallery_6080_2520_11946.jpg

When the butter mixture is ready, toss the bread cubes with it and spread on a cookie sheet and bake:

gallery_6080_2520_54510.jpg

gallery_6080_2520_40190.jpg

The onions were not finished carmelizing, (still) so I got the bread maker set up for making bread. I love this model:

gallery_6080_2520_18107.jpg

gallery_6080_2520_11642.jpg

Got that started and returned to the onions. Ah, maybe now.

gallery_6080_2520_5608.jpg

I added beef stock wine, bay leaf and some port and sherry. When I made stock last time, I reduced some and packaged some in ziplock bags in one and two cup portions. They freeze flat very well.

gallery_6080_2520_36509.jpg

So we'll leave the soup to simmer while I start on the peach soup.

gallery_6080_2520_1546.jpg

First I made peach syrup:

gallery_6080_2520_7156.jpg

The halved and peeled those pesky peaches and roasted them.

gallery_6080_2520_7425.jpg

Then they went into the food processor to be pureed and then I added the peach syrup. And chilled it.

Meanwhile the dough was ready. Once it had rested I rolled it more or less into a french loaf shape and let it rise. Then prepped the top and into the oven it went. Please humour me by pretending it looks like french bread.

gallery_6080_2520_12363.jpg

gallery_6080_2520_2315.jpg

And finally it was time for dinner.

Peach Soup. ( I was supposed to have mint for a garnish as well, but I seemed to be out of it) Ryan had three bowls of this:

gallery_6080_2520_30823.jpg

Fresh slices of bread:

gallery_6080_2520_16921.jpg

bread close up:

gallery_6080_2520_4966.jpg

And french onion soup. I use slices of gryuere cheese.

gallery_6080_2520_52817.jpg

gallery_6080_2520_10635.jpg

gallery_6080_2520_39381.jpg

Ok, I'm tired now, and my teacher's going to be annoyed that I haven't had a chance to practice much this week.

Marlene

Oh, Marlene! What lovely bowls for the onion soup. Just exquisite! (I have the same ones. :laugh: )

Clickety.

Those are a really good buy at Williams-Sonoma, at least they were. Although, they seem to come and go from the catalog. And, my they have gone up. I recall buying sets of four for about $17 US several years ago. Then I broke a couple of pieces and couldn't find them. They showed up again and I snapped some up for the same price, replacements and extras. Still not too bad at $28 US, though.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose