• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

helenjp

The Best Pound Cake

I have made this pound cake a number of times and have never had any problems. I put in in RecipeGullet a while ago.

It does sound like your oven.

I haven't made this particular recipe, but I had this happen with a pound cake recipe I had made many times before. The difference was I switched from using a hand held mixer to a standing mixer. So it might be that you incorporated too much air into the batter, or something like that. I tend not to think it was too much gluten because the crumb was still extremely tender and not all all rubbery.

Thanks! I will double check my oven temperature. I do have an oven thermometer in there, but haven't checked it in awhile because...well, just being in there assures me of a correct temperature, right :rolleyes:?

It says right at the top of that recipe that the person submitting it had the exact same issue. I think it's just a quirk in the recipe - that's twice the butter called for in any of the recipes I have used (been on a pound cake blitz this month). I would just chalk it up to wierd science, smack the crust down with the back of a spatula and cover it with a glaze :smile: No one will know. If anyone says anything, just look at them with pity and say 'aw, can't you get yours right? All the best cakes are done this way' :laugh:

sounds like a butter bomb to me, if you are talking about what I think you are talking about. The soft inside receded back while the crisp top held its position.

It says right at the top of that recipe that the person submitting it had the exact same issue.  I think it's just a quirk in the recipe - that's twice the butter called for in any of the recipes I have used (been on a pound cake blitz this month).  I would just chalk it up to wierd science, smack the crust down with the back of a spatula and cover it with a glaze  :smile:  No one will know.  If anyone says anything, just look at them with pity and say 'aw, can't you get yours right?  All the best cakes are done this way'  :laugh:

That is actually me. I linked to my webpage where I had posted that recipe. But I think you are right. I am not going to worry about it, since everything else was great.

I haven't made this particular recipe, but I had this happen with a pound cake recipe I had made many times before.  The difference was I switched from using a hand held mixer to a standing mixer.  So it might be that you incorporated too much air into the batter, or something like that.  I tend not to think it was too much gluten because the crumb was still extremely tender and not all all rubbery.

The exact same thing started happening to me when I switched from a hand to a stand mixer. Now I cream the butter and sugar in the stand mixer. Add eggs, one at a time just till mixed, and then fold in the flour by hand with a large rubber spatula. Helps some. But my pound cakes just arent' the same with the stand mixer as by hand.

Hi there,

It rose up really high in the pan - just over the top. When it cooled in the pan for a few minutes, the crown fell and I ended up with a nice high crispy crust that was totally empty. Can anyone look at the recipe and see where it might be possible to go wrong? I followed the recipe exactly. Thanks!!

The recipe looks fine to me. Guess you might have overmixed or what I call "overbeat" the mixture...

Cheers...

Don

Maida Heatter fans... help please!

I've tried her Light Pound Cake twice, and need help getting it right. Here is the recipe:

Maida Heatter's Light Pound Cake

- described as “about halfway between a sponge cake and a pound cake”, with a texture that is “light and airy and moist”.

4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter (I used 113g)

1 cup unsifted unbleached flour (I used 140g)

1 1/4 tsp baking powder

¼ tsp salt

6 large eggs

2 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup granulated sugar (I used 200g)

Melt butter and allow to cool. Sift together all the dry ingredients except the sugar.

Beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla on high speed until it is pale and falls in a slow ribbon. On low speed add the melted butter, beating only until just incorporated. Do the same with the dry ingredients, being careful not to overbeat.

Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 deg. for 50-55 minutes.

Top of cake will sink slightly toward the end of baking and while cooling.

Ok the first time I made this cake following the directions exactly, the batter deflated while mixing in the dry ingredients and the baked cake was, as expected, disastrous. And it tasted very eggy.

Today I folded in the cooled melted butter and the dry ingredients by hand as quickly as possible, and for the first 20 minutes or so of baking, had a gorgeously risen cake which had me very hopeful. Unfortunately, prematurely so. After 20 minutes the cake sank and stayed that way till the end. Here is the finished crater-cake:

gallery_45882_3234_31113.jpg

The cake itself was actually quite nice and moist and relatively airy for something that sank that badly. It tastes pretty good - rich, buttery, and light. I like the texture. But I'm sure it's not supposed to look like that! (Despite Ms Heatter's warning that the cake would sink "slightly") And it's definitely not presentable. Here's a close-up of a slice:

gallery_45882_3234_28551.jpg

It's a bit crusty. I am not sure if it's supposed to be that way.

Can anyone help with opinions on what went wrong and how to fix it? Can eggs be overbeaten? I beat the eggs till they were just about ivory coloured.

Thanks!

Oh yes, I have to add the recipe states to beat the eggs for about 25 minutes but I did probably about 10 minutes max, if that. I don't know if that was the cause of the problem. Now that the cake has cooled I've tried it again and the bottom half is no longer as light and fluffy as when it just emerged from the oven, though the top half still is. It's definitely a bit too crusty though.

Oh yes, I have to add the recipe states to beat the eggs for about 25 minutes but I did probably about 10 minutes max, if that.  I don't know if that was the cause of the problem.  Now that the cake has cooled I've tried it again and the bottom half is no longer as light and fluffy as when it just emerged from the oven, though the top half still is.  It's definitely a bit too crusty though.

If Maida Heatter says to beat the eggs for 25 minutes, then you can be sure it's safe to beat them for 25 minutes. I know there's other leavening in that cake, but the beaten eggs probably add a lot of lift also. I don't have equivalents right at hand, but I think a 1/4 cup of flour is 30 gms. so 1 cup should be 120 gms. You might have too much flour in there. And figure 29/30 gms = 1 ounce, then 4 ounces of butter should be 116-120 gms., so you might need to add a touch more butter. I know they're small amounts but sometimes that can make a big difference. I don't know off hand what sugar's supposed to weigh--- maybe some professional pastry chefs can 'weigh in' on this one..... :rolleyes:

Oops sorry, actually I used 121g flour, from RLB's conversion charts - for flour spooned into the cup rather than dipped and swept. Same with the weight for the other stuff - I used the measures from RLB's Cake Bible.

The recipe calls for a fancy 10-inch tube pan, I used a 9-inch angel food pan, it did not rise above the top of the pan at all. It rose to about 1/4-inch from the top, stayed that way for about 15 minutes then deflated.

So, just to be clear, you did not use the required amount of ingredients, or you did?

Two of the main reason for sunken cakes is oven temperature to low, so check you oven with a separate thermometer, not your oven's.

The other reason could be that there was more flour than liquid in the recipe.

What about the too dark crust? I'm not great at diagnosing problems, but that leads me to believe oven temp was too high or that there was an issue with the sugar. High oven temp goes against the sinking part unless there was a door opening problem (been there too many times...) or being undercooked.

I'm also thinking the eggs weren't whipped enough and couldn't hold the structure aloft.

A couple other thoughts--- what kind of flour did you use, what kind did Maida Heatter use, and what kind was RLB weighing? Discrepancies there (e.g, all-purpose flour vs. cake flour) could cause a problem. Also, you mentioned using a 9-inch tube pan where a 10-inch pan was called for in the recipe. Putting the same amount of batter in a 9-inch pan rather than a 10-inch pan I think would have too much batter to rise. It would be more spread out in a 10-inch pan rather than a 9-inch pan and wouldn't have so much of its own weight to overcome in rising.

Most authors who've done training in Europe will include a note or two on expected ingredient weights *somewhere* in the book. I'd check the book to see if Maida Heatter gives such instructions. I know I was quite surprised when I realized that Joy of Cooking has ingredient weight instructions, since it's such an American classic.

I'd also try turning the oven temperature down (if you have no thermometer) and beating the eggs *precisely* as instructed. Very often an author will presume that you have a stand mixer and are using that or that you have a lightweight hand held mixer. Using the kind of tool they expect will make it easier to judge whether you've got the right texture.

Emily

Unfortunately Maida Heatter doesn't always include weight measurements in her books (usually she does for nuts, and sometimes butter, but not always flours). So if I need to "convert" a recipe quickly I use 5 oz as the standard weight for 1 cup of a/p flour and 4 oz for cake flour; and 7 oz for a cup of sugar, 4 oz (1 stick) for 1/2 cup butter or 2 sticks for 1 cup. I've never made the recipe for Light Pound Cake, but if she has you beating eggs for 25 mins, she means 25 mins! I've made a lot of her other recipes and haven't had any "misses" yet.

but if she has you beating eggs for 25 mins, she means 25 mins! I've made a lot of her other recipes and haven't had any "misses" yet.

I would just like to say, that, as with all recipes, times given are generally guidelines for those who are unfamiliar in what to look for when preparing ingredients for baking. Authors do try to cover all their bases, so the book will be effective for both novices and pros. They also have to account for differences in grades of flour, sizes of eggs, altitude, equipment the baker may or may not own, etc. As hard as an author tries they can't cover everything. When one writes a recipe they have to be careful not to make assumptions.....like not everyone has a Professional Series 6 QT Kitchenaid. They may be using a hand mixer, or even beating by hand.

So although Maida says to beat for 25 minutes, she's probably using that timeline as "insurance" for those novices that may be trying her recipe. Some people don't know what it means for a batter to "ribbon". The thing to remember, is that 25 minutes is a guideline, and the more important part is to know what to look for. If it takes less than 25 minutes for your batter to fall off the beater in a nice smooth ribbon, then stop there. Don't keep beating it, just because the recipe says 25 minutes.

Remember too, that overbeating your eggs can be a prime cause for the extreme sinking that LittleIsland experienced.

On another note, after reviewing every bit of info on this thread, and checking measurement conversions, I can't honestly say exactly WHAT caused LittleIsland's cake to fall so terribly. There are so MANY causes to fallen cakes, unless you're right there, standing over LittleIsland's shoulder, we can all only guess.

That dark crusty outside that the cake had, makes me wonder about a sugar problem. My gut tells me that the eggs may have been overbeaten and there wasn't enough flour to hold the structure, once the cake was out of the oven.

I'm also thinking the eggs weren't whipped enough and couldn't hold the structure aloft.

LittleIsland's eggs were definitely whipped enough, if not overly so. What holds the structure aloft once the cake is out of the oven is partially the action of the flour and also the coagulation of the egg proteins. It could have had something to do with the protein content of LittleIsland's flour in her part of the world. She may have not added enough flour. It could have had something to do with the size of the eggs in her area.

I have personally seen what I would call a jumbo egg in one region, labeled as large in another.

All these variables make this particular problem hard to troubleshoot.

Regarding oven temp, always always have an oven thermometer in your oven, then you'll always be able to rule out the "oven too hot/oven too cold" factor. :smile:

Putting the same amount of batter in a 9-inch pan rather than a 10-inch pan I think would have too much batter to rise. It would be more spread out in a 10-inch pan rather than a 9-inch pan and wouldn't have so much of its own weight to overcome in rising.

This is a good point to consider. But I think only in the case of a severe change in pan size. I don't think the difference between a 9 inch and a 10 pan (especially a tube pan), would have

caused that much of a fall. :smile:

Edited by chefpeon (log)

So, just to be clear, you did not use the required amount of ingredients, or you did? 

Two of the main reason for sunken cakes is oven temperature to low, so check you oven with a separate thermometer, not your oven's.

The other reason could be that there was more flour than liquid in the recipe.

I think I used the required amount of ingredients, using RLB's weight conversions. I even weighed the egg yolks and egg whites separately before putting them back together to whip. That's because our eggs have smaller yolks and a larger volume of whites than in the US. MH's book does not contain weight references.

I had a thermometer in the oven the whole time and it was at 350 deg as instructed.

I used Gold Medal unbleached AP flour - one of the few American brand flours available here - as the recipe calls for "flour" with no other descriptives. MH's foreword specifies we can use bleached or unbleached the same way. Possibly I should have used 140g of flour which is the measure RLB gives for dip and sweep rather than 121g for spooned in. I used the latter because MH's foreword explains how to measure flour into a cup by spooning in. So, I guess the next time I might try more flour. (But on the second day the cake was a little dry)

So it looks like another possible cause of the problem is the eggs - either overbeating or underbeating, now if only I could figure out which! Which is why I wanted to know if eggs can be overbeaten, which from Chefpeon's input, could be true. The mixture was ivory coloured and fell in a thick slow ribbon after less than 10 mins on high on my Kenwood Chef, and I didn't see how it could be beaten for 25 mins... but again perhaps next time I should follow instructions to a T and see what happens.

I stopped baking it at 40 mins (instead of 50-55 as specified) as it was very brown and sprang back when touched, passed the stick test, and when I took it out it was obviously cooked.

Chefpeon... it sank halfway through baking, not upon emerging from the oven.

It's really interesting to see everyone's input and theories, though... sorry this is having us stumped! Might have to try again... third time lucky maybe? :biggrin:

Anyway does anyone else have another recipe for a Light Pound Cake... i.e. tastes rich like a butter cake but has a fluffier and light-ish texture - not to the extent of Chiffon however ?

I have been making RLB's All-Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake and love it for the flavour, just looking for a little lighter texture (although it's actually already quite good).

Edited by LittleIsland (log)

Chefpeon... it sank halfway through baking, not upon emerging from the oven.

Valuable info!

Leads me to believe that the eggs were overbeaten and contained an insane amount of air and steam. The cake lacked the structure from flour and protein to maintain the shape, and it fell.

I guess the best analogy would be to compare it to overinflating a balloon to the point where it pops......you see?

Too much sugar causes a cake to fall also, even though, by my calculations you converted the measurement correctly. But I look at that dark thick crust, and "sugar" is all I can think of.

Were you using "superfine" or "castor" sugar?

Anyway does anyone else have another recipe for a Light Pound Cake... i.e. tastes rich like a butter cake but has a fluffier and light-ish texture - not to the extent of Chiffon however ?

I just discovered Victoria Sponge cake. It's quite buttery but yet light and very easy. HERE is a recipe.

Were you using "superfine" or "castor" sugar?

Was using castor. But I thought they were the same thing.

Overbeaten eggs? Can you imagine, then, if I'd really beaten them for 25 minutes...

Might try the Victoria Sponge recommended by Shaloop... what do you use as the equivalent of Gas Mark 5?

Edited by LittleIsland (log)

what do you use as the equivalent of Gas Mark 5?

THIS site says 375. However, when I made one I used 350F.

Was using castor. But I thought they were the same thing.

Yes, they are the same thing, but I just didn't know what you called it in your part of the world.

Well, as they say, if you can't get one recipe to work after multiple tries, maybe it's time to try a new recipe......

My "diagnosis" of overbeaten eggs is my best educated guess. I could be, as I frequently am, wrong. I must admit I am obsessed with troubleshooting. Baking is so scientific, I feel I should be able to figure out any problem. In fact, I'm so obsessed with this particular cake thing, I'm going to give the Maida recipe a shot myself and see what happens. :wub:

• Similar Content

• By Kasia
      BANOFFE - MY DAUGHTER'S BIRTHDAY CAKE

This year, mischievous nature tried to upset my daughter's birthday plans. Spending your birthday in bed with a thermometer isn't an excellent idea ¬– even for an adult. For a teenager it is a drama comparable to cancelled holidays. My daughter told me that you are thirteen only once. And she was right. Literally and figuratively.

I wanted to sugar the pill for her on this day and cheer her up for a bit, so I prepared a caramel cake with bananas – banoffee in the form of a small birthday cake. My sweet magic and the dinner from her favourite restaurant worked, and in the end her birthday was quite nice.

Ingredients (17cm cake tin):
      150g of biscuits
      75g of butter
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      250g of mascarpone cheese
      2 tablespoons of caster sugar
      2 bananas
      300g of fudge
      1 teaspoon of dark cocoa

Break the biscuits into very small pieces or blend them. Melt the butter and mix it up with the biscuits until you have dough like wet sand. Put it into a cake tin and form the base. It is worth rolling it flat with a glass. Leave it in the fridge for one hour. Spread the biscuit layer with fudge and arrange the sliced bananas on top. Whisk the chilled sweet cream with the caster sugar. Add the mascarpone cheese and mix it in. Put the mixture onto the bananas and make it even. Sprinkle with the dark cocoa and decorate as you like. Leave it in the fridge for a few hours (best for the whole night).

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      ON THE CHRISTMAS TABLE - CHRISTMAS EVE CRANBERRY KISSEL

One of my friends from Ukraine told me about her traditional Christmas dishes. Except for stuffed cabbage with potatoes (which I have made already) I was surprised about cranberry kissel. I searched the Internet and I saw that in many Polish homes Christmas Eve supper ends with cranberry kissel. In my home we always drink compote with dried fruit, but maybe this year we will try a new dish on our Christmas menu.

I wonder why cranberries are on the Christmas table. I didn't find any particular information about it (except the fact it is tradition). I think that a few years ago cranberries were treated as a natural cure which aids digestion, and this could be quite useful after a hefty Christmas meal!

At my Ukrainian friends' home Christmas kissel is runny like a drink, but you can prepare it like a dessert with a more dense texture. I made the drink version, but you should choose which is better for you.

Ingredients:
      500g of cranberries
      a piece of cinnamon and a couple of cloves
      6-8 tablespoons of sugar
      2-3 tablespoons of potato flour

Wash the cranberries and put them with the cinnamon and cloves in a pan. Pour in 500ml of water and boil until the fruit is soft. Remove the cinnamon and cloves and blend the rest. Add the sugar and mix it until it has dissolved. Sieve the cranberry mousse to make a smooth texture. Mix the potato flour with a bit of cold water. Boil the cranberry mousse and add the mixed potato flour, stirring constantly so it is not lumpy. Boil for a while. Pour the kissel into some glasses.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      COURGETTE MUFFINS WITH LEMON

Since I found the recipe for courgette muffins with lemon on the Polish blog gotujzcukiereczkiem I decided to prepare them. My children looked at the ingredients with surprise. Courgette and cakes don't go together well. The argument that they add caster sugar to the courgette pancakes didn't convince them. The muffins reminded my husband of the lemon cake his grandma used to prepare many years ago. I just liked them. They were short lived, because they disappeared in no time, slightly lemony, moist and not too sweet. They were perfect.

If I didn't know they had courgette in them, I would never believe it. Try it, because it is worth it.

Ingredients (for 12 muffins)
      muffins
      200g of flour
      a pinch of salt
      half a teaspoon of baking soda
      half a teaspoon of baking powder
      150g of sugar
      peel from one lemon
      a tablespoon of lemon juice
      2 eggs
      150ml of oil
      a teaspoon of vanilla essence
      a teaspoon of lemon essence
      210g of grated courgette
      icing:
      3 tablespoons of milk
      10 tablespoons of caster sugar
      1 teaspoon of lemon essence

Heat the oven up to 170C. Put some paper muffin moulds into the "dimples" of a baking pan for muffins.
      Mix together the dry ingredients of the muffins: flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix together the sugar and lemon peel in a separate bowl. Add the eggs, oil, lemon juice and both essences. Mix them in. Add the dry ingredients and mix them in. Grate the unpeeled courgette, don't squeeze and don't pour away the liquid. Add the courgette to the dough and mix it in. Put the dough into some paper muffin moulds. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Now prepare the icing. Mix the milk with the caster sugar and lemon essence. Decorate the muffins with the lemon icing.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      MILLET GROATS CHOCOLATE CREME WITH CRANBERRY MOUSSE

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for the best chocolate crème I have ever eaten. It is thick, smooth and very chocolaty in flavour and colour. Despite the chocolate, the dessert isn't too sweet. But if somebody thinks that it is, I recommend serving it with slightly sour fruit mousse. You can use cherries, currants or cranberries. You will make an unusually yummy arrangement and your dessert will look beautiful.

My children were delighted with this dessert. I told them about the fact it had been made with millet groats after they had eaten it, and ... they didn't believe me. Next time I will prepare the millet groats crème with a double portion of ingredients.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      chocolate crème
      100g of millet groats
      200g of dark chocolate
      1 tablespoon of dark cocoa
      250ml of almond milk
      fruit mousse
      250g of fresh cranberries
      juice and peel of one orange
      half a teaspoon of grated ginger
      4 tablespoons of brown sugar

Boil the millet groats in salty water and drain them. Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie. Blend the millet groats, chocolate, cocoa and milk very thoroughly until you have very smooth crème. Pour the milk in gradually to make the right consistency of your desert. Prepare the fruit mousse. Put the washed cranberries, ginger, juice orange peel and sugar into a pot. Boil until the fruits are soft. Blend. Put the chocolate crème into some small bowls. Put the fruit mousse on top. Decorate with peppermint leaves. Serve at once or chilled.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      SWIFT HOMEMADE NAPOLEON

Sometimes we have days – may there be as few as possible – when nothing works out. I can even burn the water for tea. I have two ways of dealing with such days. The first is to sit in a corner and wait it out – maybe it will sort itself out. I can only do this when I'm alone. When I have a hungry family I have to look for another way. My second way is to use only well-known recipes and stick to them irregardless of how well I know them. Any experiments in this situation will end in failure.

Last weekend was just difficult. My husband helped me prepare dinner, but the dessert was my problem alone. Following the rules, I used a recipe for napoleon that is so simple there is no way you could fail. I recommend it to anyone struggling with creative impotence or who likes glamourous results after not too much effort in the kitchen.

Ingredients (for 9 napoleons)
      1 pack of chilled French pastry
      500ml of milk
      6 tablespoons of sugar
      1 packet of powdered blancmange
      50g of butter
      2 egg yolks
      1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
      1 tablespoons of potato flour
      2 tablespoons of flour
      caster sugar

Heat the oven up to 180C. Cover a baking tray with some baking paper.
      Cut the French pastry in half. Bake one half for 20 minutes. Remove it from the tray. Cut the second part into 9 squares. A cake prepared in this way is easier to divide into portions. Put them on the paper and bake for 20 minutes.
      Now prepare the crème. Boil 400ml of the milk with the sugar, vanilla essence and butter. Mix the rest of the milk with the powdered blancmange, flour and potato flour and egg yolks. When the milk has boiled, take it off the heat and add it to the mixture, stirring constantly. Put it on the heat and boil, stirring until the mixture is coagulated. Take the pot off the heat. Put the warm mixture on the whole part of the French pasty and then cover it with the sliced part of the pastry. Cover the dessert with aluminium foil and leave in the fridge for a few hours. Cut and sprinkle with the caster sugar before serving.