• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ Restaurant Suggestions

tkrongold

My husband is craving barbeque for dnr tonight - Southern or mid-West (KC-type) BBQ (I really want to go back to Silver Oak Bistro, but I've been out-voted for tonight!)

We've been to Hot Rod's & Indigo Smoke. Any other suggestions? Does anyone know if Front Street Smoke House in Elizabeth is open yet? Their web site still says the kitchen is a work in progress...

thanks.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

My husband is craving barbeque for dnr tonight - Southern or mid-West (KC-type) BBQ (I really want to go back to Silver Oak Bistro, but I've been out-voted for tonight!)

We've been to Hot Rod's & Indigo Smoke. Any other suggestions? Does anyone know if Front Street Smoke House in Elizabeth is open yet? Their web site still says the kitchen is a work in progress...

thanks.

That's a tough request in New Jersey... The closest thing to this food is probably only offered at takeout and some "joints", not a place for a serious dinner.

There is a place in Denville called Rattlesnake Ranch, but I don't know much about it, 3rd party information.

Your best bet for BBQ in the NY Metro is probably Blue Smoke in the city; I hear that place is fabulous!!

Edited by menton1 (log)

Indigo Smoke in Montclair is the answer! K.C. 'cue and GREAT sides...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

There is also Chumley's in Florida NY. A bit back roads to get there - north of Warwick, south of Goshen (off the NY Thruway). Should be a nice bike ride for you , Tracey. I have not been yet, but all my friends who have say its great. Now that I'm back in Bergen county, its a bit of a ride, but I still want to check it out.

Dana

AVOID CHUMLEYS!!

i stopped in one day to get some takeout. the pulled pork was totally flavorless and the beef was stringy - like it had been cut across the grain the wrong way.

haven't tried indigo smoke or the one in summit/chatham - pop's? but am now craving the brisket wrap from hot rod's :shock:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I believe that Pop's is in Madison, just off Main St. down the block from the Madison movie theater and the post office.

I know that most of us egulleteers look down on chain restaurants but for BBQ I really like Famous Dave's. They have NJ locations in Mountainside, North Brunswick, Brick and one more that I can't think of. Google Famous Dave's for their website. I really like the St. Louis style ribs. Good potato salad and spicy cole slaw. The brisket leaves something to be desired and the corn on the cob they give you with your order will remind you why you hate chain restaurants but those ribs will keep you coming back for more.

AVOID CHUMLEYS!!

i stopped in one day to get some takeout.  the pulled pork was totally flavorless and the beef was stringy - like it had been cut across the grain the wrong way.

haven't tried indigo smoke or the one in summit/chatham - pop's? but am now craving the brisket wrap from hot rod's :shock:

Wow! Thanks for the warning. I guess a roadtrip to Newburgh is in order, though.

Dana

Front Street is not open.. But I am very positive about the place.. The owners represented New Jersey at the Jack Daniels Invitational.. They have been to Memphis in May.. I saw there operation.. They have a 700 lb Old Hickory Smoker.. There style for ribs is dry. I havent tasted there food, but the guys definately are opening this place to produce great Cue first..

Yeah, definitely Stickey's. IMO the beef ribs are the one 'can't pass up' item that they have.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."