• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

OK to use freezer burned (slight) chicken

CRUZMISL

Freezer burn in meats is not a food hazzard if that's what you mean. However the flavor is not that great:

Freezer burn occurs when air comes in contact with the surface of the food. Frozen water on the surface or just under the surface sublimates (like evaporation except going from solid directly to vapor) into the air. (This is the same reason why ice cubes slowly "disappear" in the freezer.) This causes moisture to be lost from the meat over time resulting in discoloration and a dry, leathery texture. The meat is still safe to eat, but the freezer burned sections won't taste good. Simply cut the affected portions off before or after cooking.

(here´s the link to the whole story... plus, it's a pretty cool website. I visit it often)

So, to answer your question, just cut the section off, unless you are making a rich broth and the "burned" parts are very small. Then, they will have little effect on the finished stock.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

I have no idea what the official answer is, but I've made some dandy stocks from packages of freezer burned chicken legs I forgot about in the deep freeze. I wouldn't serve them for dinner, but the stock was just fine.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Add enough herbs and veggies and cook it long enough and you can get away with almost anything. I just cooked two ducks that had been in my freezer for 5 years and they were delicious. I brined them for 24 hours, then braised them for, like, 5 hours with garlic and herbs and they turned out just fine.

Go ahead. Use it.

Add enough herbs and veggies and cook it long enough and you can get away with almost anything. I just cooked two ducks that had been in my freezer for 5 years and they were delicious. I brined them for 24 hours, then braised them for, like, 5 hours with garlic and herbs and they turned out just fine.

Go ahead. Use it.

Two ducks for five years? How big is your freezer?

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

I have found that older neglected meats in my freezer may take on a 'freezer' smell, not musty, but not fresh either. Soup stock and braising with vegs and herbs is the usual route, and sometimes the meat ends up in the dog bowl or the forest edge, but the broth is always good!