• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Icelandic food

I used to buy alot of their yogurts and i loved this spread that was the consistancy of cream cheese....but it wasnt cream cheese... it was full of big plump juicy shrimps. it was SO fabulous i have been back there JUST to get my hands on THAT. there is something about the shrimp there... they are the absloute sweetest i have had anywhere.

i am in the Vancouver area but i would drive a distance to get some of their goodies.... does anyone know of any shops?

I am sure its a long shot...but maybe i will get lucky.

thanks

I used to buy alot of their yogurts and i loved this spread that was the consistancy of cream cheese....but it wasnt cream cheese... it was full of big plump juicy shrimps.  it was SO fabulous i have been back there JUST to get my hands on THAT.  there is something about the shrimp there... they are the absloute sweetest i have had anywhere.

i am in the Vancouver area but i would drive a distance to get some of their goodies.... does anyone know of any shops?

I am sure its a long shot...but maybe i will get lucky.

thanks

Sounds like the filling I had in a sandwich at the Halso Konditerei which is Swedish.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I can't help with a source for what you are looking for, but I would be delighted share my just finished Icelandic Christmas Cake (Vineterta) :smile: Or at least give you the recipe.

One of my mom's friends is Icelandic, so I called her...she said she's never, in all her 65 years of living in this country, found anything close to the food from home outside of a small area in Manitoba where some of her family settled. So if you do come up with anything, I would love to hear about it. She would be thrilled.

There is a club...

Icelandic Canadian Club of BC

(604) 515-1224

939 Sixth Street

New Westminster, BC V3L 3C8

Maybe they can help!

Edited by Badiane (log)

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

If there is an IKEA location where you live, they usually carry a few Icelandic products. I like the anchovies because they are not too salty and so versatile. The jars of pickled herring are quite good if you enjoy that sort of thing.

I can't help with a source for what you are looking for, but I would be delighted share my just finished Icelandic Christmas Cake (Vineterta)  :smile:  Or at least give you the recipe.

One of my mom's friends is Icelandic, so I called her...she said she's never, in all her 65 years of living in this country, found anything close to the food from home outside of a small area in Manitoba where some of her family settled.  So if you do come up with anything, I would love to hear about it.  She would be thrilled.

There is a club...

Icelandic Canadian Club of BC

(604) 515-1224

939 Sixth Street

New Westminster, BC V3L 3C8

Maybe they can help!

Thanks for the help i appreciate it i will call them and see what they know of maybe there is a way to get things online.  somewhere i have saved the lid of that lovely shrimp spread if i can find it maybe i can actually even order it online..who knows.

thanks again

I take it Icelandic food it similar to Scandanvian food (lots of pickled fish, smoked meats, etc). If that's right, then the only place to go is Jolly Food which is located in the industrial area near the transfer station in North Van. Jurgen Gothe wrote about it in the last Georgia Strait, but we've been going there for years to buy goodies for Christmas Eve. As a Lithuanian, I have seafood on Xmas Eve and lots of it: traditionally 12 dishes. Jolly Food has all the pickled herring, sardines, and condiments that a Baltic baby like me could want. They also have nice European advent calenders, Xmas candles, and traditional decorations. My wife and I will be going there to load up on Saturday.

Paul B