• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Against the grain, part 2: early bird special

Fat Guy

Of course, those on 9-to-5 schedules can't do that.

Neither can those who want to eat breakfast.

Untrue. Breakfast is delicious any time of day, including 9 pm.

I grew up eating dinner sometime between 8pm and midnight, and I still like to eat late - in fact, I have a hard time being hungry for dinner before 7:30pm, really. You and ewindels can hang out, though. :raz:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I think it was George S. Kauffman who, when phoned at 9 p.m. and asked what he was doing for dinner, replied "Digesting it."

LOVE the early bird!

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Thank you Steven. Both my husband and I like dining early, and I've always felt so sheepish admitting it. I eat lunch around noon--often earlier to beat the lunch crowd and because my breakfast is sometimes not as filling as it should be--so by the time I get off work I'm starving. Plus, I like some time to unwind before going to bed, especially if I then have work the next day.

What about atmosphere, people?  A large part of what makes eating out so enjoyable, is the atmosphere of the restaurant you're in, or at least it is for me. 

Eating early for many of the reasons stated above sounds so mechanistic and joyless.

Silverbrow--are you Frank Bruni?

(just asking)

My wife and I both love to dine early. (I agree with the Fat Guy).

At our ages we no longer prize the membership in the throngs of peak hour diners.

When I was twenty or so-I had a primal urge to be "in" and barring that-- to at least be in synch with the in crowd.

Dinner at ten pm (at a restaurant that wouldn't take a reservation from me if they really knew who I was or wasn't) then drinks and dancing at an after hours club on a Monday night followed by a cab ride home after dawn was to be "in."

To be the male Paris Hilton!!!!

It was also short lived--alas I had to get a real job. My metabolism changed I found that my cutoff time for enjoying a good vindaloo to be earlier and earlier--lest I wander the halls of my apartment at two AM like Hamlet.

Now I love an early meal--I have even become one with the small children and elderly--my dining companions.

Like the Fat Guy--I can rest comfortably and enjoy my favorite TV programs and then off to bed to dream peacefully--of the good old days!

What about atmosphere, people?  A large part of what makes eating out so enjoyable, is the atmosphere of the restaurant you're in, or at least it is for me. 

Eating early for many of the reasons stated above sounds so mechanistic and joyless.

Silverbrow--are you Frank Bruni?

(just asking)

John, no I'm not.

I am however beginning to think that this thread might just be a wind-up. Either that, or a large contingent of eGullet have morphed into Grumpy Old Men.

I think of eating at a restaurant as a relaxing event, rather than a process to kill some time before I go to bed. I'm surprised that so many people take such an unmediated utilitarian view of eating out.

Due to my work schedule (at work at 5am), the husband and I wind up eating dinner most nights by 6:30. Much later than that, and I feel like I have no time to digest before going to bed. However, come the weekends, I'm back to my old routine of eating dinner around 7:30-8pm.

Given my druthers, though, I'll fight for those 8pm reservations. 5:30 is just way too early, even for me with my schedule.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Also the soup of the day or other specials are not offered yet and I resent being treated like an"early bird" by the staff.

Then you're eating in a really crappy place if they aren't ready to open when they open. Staff needs retraining or replacing.

I'm surprised that so many people take such an unmediated utilitarian view of eating out.

Interesting. I think of it more as relaxing. I'm winding down my day, chatting with my husband over a good meal, without the noise of a full restaurant. Plus, it means we never have to wait for our table.

I usually eat 4 meals a day (breakfast, lunch (around 11), "tea"/snack (around 3-3:30), and supper). Anywhere from 7 to 8 p.m. is the optimum time to eat my evening meal, imo. Eat supper much later, and I pay for it the next day.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Hmmm, I wonder if there's an age divide on this issue? Are some of the early birds young birds?

Define young. I'm 35, but I've always preferred eating early. Granted, I'm also Chinese so I wasn't raised with the idea that eating late was the norm.

Well, I'm not exactly a youngster, nor do I think I am all that old.

In any case, I find 5:30-6:30 PM to be a bit early. 6:30-7:30 PM to be my preference. After 8:30, unless I've planned ahead, I get a bit grumpy. This is often a source of friction between myself and my franc-o-phile friends; but, we usually work something out around 8.

The problem I've noticed, is that, often, the later you dine the less accurate the hosts estimations of your dining reservation will be. If you make a reservation between 6-7:30, you will generally be seated close to its time. If you make a reservation after 8, at least in San Francisco, god knows when you will actually be seated. I guess this is a consequence of poor planning, lingering guests, or whatever; but, when I make reservations after 8, I find my party often waits much beyond its planned time for dinner.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

The problem I've noticed, is that, often, the later you dine the less accurate the hosts estimations of your dining reservation will be.  If you make a reservation between 6-7:30, you will generally be seated close to its time.  If you make a reservation after 8, at least in San Francisco, god knows when you will actually be seated.  I guess this is a consequence of poor planning, lingering guests, or whatever; but, when I make reservations after 8, I find my party often waits much beyond its planned time for dinner.

Yeah, I've definitely noticed this as well, and it's one of the many reasons I also prefer eating early. Nothing like waiting & being REALLY hungry by that 8pm reservation, only to have to wait until nearly 9 before I actually DO get seated...

My preferred dinnertime is between 5:30 and 7. My metabolism is pretty strong so unless I eat a big snack around 3 or 4, I am seriously ready for dinner by 6. If I eat too big of a lunch it just makes me feel listless for the rest of the afternoon, so that's not a solution. It's definitely a struggle for me to wait those nights when the SO works late and I know dinner won't be until after 8.

I prefer restaurant dining when it isn't a mob scene, when I can actually have a conversation with my dining companion instead of having to shout over the noise of every table being filled. I like being able to have a few hours for the food to settle (and maybe have room for that late dessert), instead of getting home from a restaurant at 11pm, stuffed and exhausted but trying to get to sleep while my stomach is working hard on digesting.

So anyway, yeah, here's another vote for dining early!

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |