• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

where is best homemade ital. sausage

Jeff L

I've been going to Hamilton NJ for homemade Italian sausages and they are real good. Can anyone tell me where to get them in Philly. I'm looking for both hot and sweet but without fennel. I seem to remember Katie talking about an Italian deli in Philly that had the best stuff but I forgot where it is located. Also, are there any standouts at RTM?

I tried a search here and it came up with all non-related topics so sorry if I am repeating topics covered already.

I like Chickie's at 10th and Federal and Shank and Evelyn's on 10th somewhere between Carpenter and Fitzwater, but that's for sausage sandwiches.

You're thinking more of butchers and raw product?

In general, I think people like DÁngelo Brothers in the Italian Market and Harry Ochs in the Reading Terminal.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I like Chickie's at 10th and Federal and Shank and Evelyn's on 10th somewhere between Carpenter and Fitzwater, but that's for sausage sandwiches.

In general, I think people like DÁngelo Brothers in the Italian Market and Harry Ochs in the Reading Terminal.

Yes, raw sausage so I can make my own sausage and pepper sandwiches. Do you know the deli I was referring to, sounded great and damn if I can find it on the board

Yes, raw sausage so I can make my own sausage and pepper sandwiches. Do you know the deli I was referring to, sounded great and damn if I can find it on the board

Cannuli's House of Pork on 9th St. or at 17th and Ritner has a variety of italian sausage. Personally, I am fond of Maglio's in the local supermarket. In my wife's homemade gravy, the hot sausage is outstanding.

Martin's has the best sausage selection at the Reading Terminal Market. Several kinds of Italian sausage (hot, mild, with broccoli rabe, with provolone, etc.), as well as breakfast sausages, chorizo, andouille, lamb sausage, garlic sausage...They freeze really well, so you can stock up.

Maria Gallagher

i agree with spikemom--i really like martin's sausages.

however, the following people also all make excellent italian sausage; i think it's just a matter of whose you like best:

--sonny d'angelo

--cappuccio's meats at like 9th & league

--fiorella's at 8xx christian

As mentioned above, Fiorella's on Christian bewteen 8th and 9th (Italian Market) is my absolute favorite for basic italian sausage, hot and sweet, with or without fennel.

I like some of the other vendors on 9th street (D'Angelos) for more tricked up sausage (spinach and provolone is very good).

But for your sausage and pepper sandwiches, I'd say Fiorella all the way, hot and sweet.

For bulk sausage, I'd go with Canulli's, Esposito's or Fiorella's.

Formed sausages are different. Sonny D'Angelo always has the best IMO. Any of the above have formed sausages too, but I'm almost always crumbling it up and buying it in bulk saves me the step where I have to slit and empty the casings.

I'm lazy like that.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

For bulk sausage, I'd go with Canulli's, Esposito's or Fiorella's.

Formed sausages are different.  Sonny D'Angelo always has the best IMO.  Any of the above have formed sausages too, but I'm almost always crumbling it up and buying it in bulk saves me the step where I have to slit and empty the casings.

I'm lazy like that.

Naaah--- not lazy, Katie-- just think of it as keeping all that butchers' work stuffing the sausages from going to waste! :laugh:

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)