• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you find xxx

Jake

anyone know where to find white anchovies in toronto?

ns

not consistently, but sometimes at Mendel's Creamery in Kensington (on Kensington St, S of Baldwin). They also have great (and inexpensive) smoked fish, salted capers, some good cheese and lots of east european cookies, jams, pickles and such. They make awesome sandwiches too but only on weekdays.

is there a white anchovy season or does the preservation tactic negate that?

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

anyone know where to find white anchovies in toronto?

ns

not consistently, but sometimes at Mendel's Creamery in Kensington (on Kensington St, S of Baldwin). They also have great (and inexpensive) smoked fish, salted capers, some good cheese and lots of east european cookies, jams, pickles and such. They make awesome sandwiches too but only on weekdays.

is there a white anchovy season or does the preservation tactic negate that?

thanks

I'll check that out this week

ns

There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves - Fergus Henderson

Hi all.  I thought I would start this thread as a resource and discussion on where to find ingredients etc. in Toronto.  There are a number of us on this board who cook professionally, cater,or just love to create at home and Toronto is a great city with a multitude of places to find unusual ingredients.  We're lucky to have so many different ethnic groups and the shops/restaurants that go along with them.

As a bit of background, although I have cooked and done some training professionally, I am currently only cooking at home or for friends.  However, I shop all over the city for different ingredients.  I'd love to share some of my finds and experiences and to benefit from others, especially when it comes to more unusual ingredients.  Sure, Whole Foods and Loblaws are one stop shops for many things, and their price points reflect it, I'm more interested in the best (price and taste) smoked duck breast, or the greatest selection of fresh chilies...

If you have a question, or something to share or discuss I hope you'll post here.  Let's increase participation on this board and see what topics flow from there.

Hi all.  I thought I would start this thread as a resource and discussion on where to find ingredients etc. in Toronto.  There are a number of us on this board who cook professionally, cater,or just love to create at home and Toronto is a great city with a multitude of places to find unusual ingredients.  We're lucky to have so many different ethnic groups and the shops/restaurants that go along with them.

As a bit of background, although I have cooked and done some training professionally, I am currently only cooking at home or for friends.  However, I shop all over the city for different ingredients.  I'd love to share some of my finds and experiences and to benefit from others, especially when it comes to more unusual ingredients.  Sure, Whole Foods and Loblaws are one stop shops for many things, and their price points reflect it, I'm more interested in the best (price and taste) smoked duck breast, or the greatest selection of fresh chilies...

If you have a question, or something to share or discuss I hope you'll post here.  Let's increase participation on this board and see what topics flow from there.

Jake,

I'm new to Egullet, so apologies if I mess up a bit. I'm really looking for a reliable source for fresh yeast in the GTA. Struck out so far, and what I have found is not so fresh. I'm a wood-fired brick oven baker in the Port Perry area, so the eastern part of the city is best, although I do venture to St. Lawrence and Kensington markets.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim, welcome to eGullet. We're so pleased you're here. Are you baking bread for pleasure, or professionally?

I can't recall where I last heard about fresh yeast, but I'll see what I can remember. In the meantime, perhaps some of our other GTA people will have an idea or two.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Jim, welcome to eGullet.  We're so pleased you're here.  Are you baking bread for pleasure, or professionally?

I can't recall where I last  heard about fresh yeast, but I'll see what I can remember.  In the meantime, perhaps some of our other GTA people will have an idea or two.

You could try some bakeries if you are just going to use at for home use. I have spoken with St Johns bakery and they seem to be really wonderful and receptive. Give them a try!

Edited by thomasevan (log)

Jake,

I'm new to Egullet, so apologies if I mess up a bit.  I'm really looking for a reliable source for fresh yeast in the GTA.  Struck out so far, and what I have found is not so fresh.  I'm a wood-fired brick oven baker in the Port Perry area, so the eastern part of the city is best, although I do venture to St. Lawrence and Kensington markets.

Thanks,

Jim

Do you have a Denninger's around? They carry fresh yeast here in Burlington and Hamilton area.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Jake,

Think I messed up yesterday and my question was not posted. I'm looking for a reliable, FRESH source for fresh baker's yeast in the GTA. I live near Port Perry, so the eastern part of the city is easiest, though I've been known to venture all the way to the St. Lawrence Market and Kensington.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim, you didn't mess up, you're query just posted inside your quote. See above for some other members suggestions with regard to bakeries etc. :)

Where do you find cheese with truffles in it?

Alex farms used to carry a truffled mozzarela di bufala and a truffled pecorino but don't carry them at SLM anymore.

while we're on the topic, I'm also curious where to get truffled honey.

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

Alex farms used to carry a truffled mozzarela di bufala and a truffled pecorino but don't carry them at SLM anymore.

Haven't seen truffled honey in a long while, but now I want some.

Alex Farms on Bayview had truffled cheese a few weeks ago, and Cheese Boutique has it regularly if not all the time.

In the Saint Lawrence Market, Chris Cheese, west side on the upper floor, south of Carousel bakery, carries the truffled cheeses that you are looking for. They are connected to Alex farms in some way and they have a large stock of Italian cheeses and Quebec cheeses too.

Dianne.

cheese boutique should have both truffled cheese and truffle honey

www.cheeseboutique.com

ns

There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves - Fergus Henderson

cheese boutique should have both truffled cheese and truffle honey

www.cheeseboutique.com

ns

Had the cheese boutique's truffled honey on Wed - absolutely stunning - it contained more truffle aroma than the fresh Italian summer truffles (also at Cheese Boutique).

Anyone know where I can find a muddler, one of those things used to crush ingredients for mojitos

thanks

Placewares in the St. Lawrence Market has wooden, 7.5-inch ones for $7 right now. I had the hardest time finding a muddler in Toronto several years ago, and ended up buying one in NYC.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm late to the party folks, but here are some places:

jayt90 - for coffee, there is Balzac's at the Distillery district, but also a (roast your own?) place just east of the DVP around Dundas http://www.merchantsofgreencoffee.com

I can't speak for the latter from personal experience - I pass it daily but have never made it.

For fresh kimchee and mostly dry goods there is a Japanese/Korean foodmart on the west side of Parliament between College and Gerrard. Nice folks. They also have bonito shavings, but not blocks.

Apicio - the serrano is also available at the St. Lawrence market - on the east side of the market along the wall at Scheffler's Deli . It's wonderful stuff, though while I was in Spain I ate a lot of different wonderful varieties. If you love spanish hams, there's a chain in Madrid called Museo del Jamon (link en espagnol http://www.museodeljamon.es/ ) which would blow your mind. :)

For bagels I prefer St. Urbain at SLM.

Thanks everyone for sharing your tips!

Anyone seen fresh Wasabi in Canada? I found a place in the States but it cannot be imported ...

Edited by Worldly (log)

Thanks for coffee tip, Worldly, I"ll check out the roast your own place next week.

Not wanting to stir up the bagel war again, but is St. Urbain part of the Montreal shop?

Or maybe it is connected to a bakery in Vaughan selling flat bagel crisps called St. Urbain in some stores.

As I understand it St Urbain is indeed an offshoot of the Montreal shop, or certainly was a few years ago.

On the muddler side, I do have one, but the best suggestion I've seen was from soneone in another forum who said buy a piece of wooden dowel at Home Depot (or wherever).

Wood is a better option than a pestle that is made of stone or clay, just because you're less likely to break your glass ... mmmm ... mojito ...