• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you find xxx

Jake

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know where I could try looking for pistachio paste?  I haven't a clue where to start, and I can't make it myself.

Qzina in Toronto carries it. It comes in a tub of around 5 lbs if I recall correctly.

[Qzina in Toronto carries it. 

Isn't Qzina wholesale only?

I recall they only open for retail for a couple of weeks around Christmas.

Phone and check. I suspect they will sell it to you. If not PM me. I have some at home if you just need a little, if you need more and they won't sell it to you I can get it for you.

Hello everyone,

would St. Lawrence Market have dried morels? I know they are sold in virtually every grocery store in the GTA but I prefer buying in bulk quantities. Small packets cost a lot more than what I am willing to pay.

My only other option is to buy online by the pound and I am avoiding posting my credit card number.

I am also looking for powdered aspic, I've made gelatin using bones and connective tissue but they are no easy to clarify.

Thanks

You could try The Fine Food Boutique; 382 Olivewood Rd., Toronto, ON (416) 233-1800. They have the little packets of dried morels. I was asking the clerks about something else one day and she told me they are the wholesaler to several places. I think they could help you with a larger order of mushrooms.

Hello everyone,

would St. Lawrence Market have dried morels? I know they are sold in virtually every grocery store in the GTA but I prefer buying in bulk quantities. Small packets cost a lot more than what I am willing to pay.

My only other option is to buy online by the pound and I am avoiding posting my credit card number.

I am also looking for powdered aspic, I've made gelatin using bones and connective tissue but they are no easy to clarify.

Thanks

the produce place on the lower level has freshh morels (and chanterelles) in season.

Re: the dried kind, I'd suspect the answer to your question is yes, but I don't know for sure offhand.

Do many (any?) of the SLM vendors have websites with contact info so you could shoot them an email directly?

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Thanks Kerry and estufarian, I don't want to buy a big tub for now because I am moving in a month, but I have a couple places in mind to check out this weekend, otherwise I will just sit of this idea for a little while until I get settled. Thanks for the help though!

Kate

Thank you, toweringpine and rgruby. I'll try to call that number then perhaps take a little trip to SLM early morning, Saturday. I miss working in the downtown core.

Thanks again.

Just got back from St. Lawrence Market. I found some 20gm. pkg. of dried morels for $14.99, none were fresh. Prices are comparable to Longo's, Dominion and Loblaws. It was nice to see SLM again, after 8 years. I usually do my shopping at Asian markets in Mississagua.

Didn't find fresh lobes of foie gras either, only canned stuff. It was not a total disappoinntment since I managed to get a back bacon sandwich for breakfast.

Just got back from St. Lawrence Market. I found some 20gm. pkg. of dried morels for $14.99, none were fresh. Prices are comparable to Longo's, Dominion and Loblaws. It was nice to see SLM again, after 8 years. I usually do my shopping at Asian markets in Mississagua.

Didn't find fresh lobes of foie gras either, only canned stuff. It was not a total disappoinntment since I managed to get a back bacon sandwich for breakfast.

whitehouse meats usually has fresh foie

ns

There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves - Fergus Henderson

I was in SLM today for the first time in ages. The place downstairs in the NW corner (Domino's maybe?) has dried shrooms of many varieties. The morels were $80 per 100g - about $350 a pound!!! Most of the chanterelles (several varieties), black trumpets, etc. were half that. Lobster shrooms were less and dried shitakes even less - $20 per 100 g I think. But, still spendy.

Look for fresh shrooms again in the fall at the produce place in the middle of the north side of the basement. I like that place because it labels the place of origin of almost all its produce. As I stated above, it's definitely a seasonal thing.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Thanks for the heads up on the morels, Rgruby. I will try again after this Caribana Parade passes through. If I can't get a better price, I will go through the internet @ $120/454 gams. for dried morels.

Thanks Nick Soapdish, I guess I did not do a thorough search. I was chasing the parking meter and I did not go around enough.

Thanks for the heads up on the morels, Rgruby. I will try again after this Caribana Parade passes through. If I can't get a better price, I will go through the internet @ $120/454 gams. for dried morels.

Thanks Nick Soapdish, I guess I did not do a thorough search. I was chasing the parking meter and I did not go around enough.

The morels they had were big honking ones, if that's what you're looking for. but yeah, $80 for 100grams. Is a lot.

There are a few Kashmiri recipes that I want to try and I need some Kashmiri red chillies and maval (cockscomb). Has anyone come across these in Toronto? I have found US mail order sources for the Kashmiri chillies, but I would prefer to buy it here, if possible. Thanks

There are a few Kashmiri recipes that I want to try and I need some Kashmiri red chillies and maval (cockscomb).  Has anyone come across these in Toronto?  I have found US mail order sources for the Kashmiri chillies, but I would prefer to buy it here, if possible.  Thanks

Have you tried House of Spice at Kensington Market ? The link has a listing of the stores there.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I found the chilli powder there, but no maval.

There are a few Kashmiri recipes that I want to try and I need some Kashmiri red chillies and maval (cockscomb).  Has anyone come across these in Toronto?  I have found US mail order sources for the Kashmiri chillies, but I would prefer to buy it here, if possible.  Thanks

Have you tried House of Spice at Kensington Market ? The link has a listing of the stores there.

Iqbal Halal foods seems to have a lot of unusual out of the way Southeast Asian ingredients, that might be another place to check, or call.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Was looking through my bernardin canning book and wanted to do a corn relish but the recipe calls for cleargel. A type of cooking starch, does anybody know where to buy it in Toronto? Thanks so much.

Amazon has Clear Jel $4/lb.

Instant Clear Jel is not recommended for canning.

Was looking through my bernardin canning book and wanted to do a corn relish but the recipe calls for cleargel. A type of cooking starch, does anybody know where to buy it in Toronto? Thanks so much.

Amazon has Clear Jel $4/lb.

Instant Clear Jel is not recommended for canning.

I also noticed King Arthur Flour has it, you can order from them in Ontario but shipping is dear.