• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where are the bagels in Seattle?

I'm so sick of the round bread that everyone tries to pawn off on me in this town. If there was any real money in food service I'd fly to Brooklyn and kidnap a bagel baker and bring him back and have him cook bagels for me (and everyone else in Seattle) all day/night long.

Gah! Where can I get good bagels in this city?!

Sorry, I can't recommend anywhere in Seattle.

Originally from Montreal, my wife and I are also not happy with the bun-with-a-hole that are called bagels around here. There used to be a place (I dunno -- might still be around) in Fremont that advertised Montreal-style bagels. We tried them once. Not. Even. Close. Sorry, can't remember what they were called.

We were very happy to find Siegel's Bagels in Vancouver. But these are *almost* as good as what I remember as a kid and what I get in Montreal during visits. The border guards do look at us funny when we declare 5 or 6 dozen on the way home :blink:

When I first moved to Seattle in 1989, Spot Bagels made a really nice chewy product--they were huge, but they were not spongy, definitely felt like they were done right, boiled and not steamed. Alas, I think Spot went out of business even before I left Seattle in 2002. Anybody up there remember them? I think PCC carried them, among other places. I liked them so much, I almost didn't mind that they did non-traditional flavors like jalapeno and such. :rolleyes:

When I first moved to Seattle in 1989, Spot Bagels made a really nice chewy product--they were huge, but they were not spongy, definitely felt like they were done right, boiled and not steamed. Alas, I think Spot went out of business even before I left Seattle in 2002. Anybody up there remember them? I think PCC carried them, among other places. I liked them so much, I almost didn't mind that they did non-traditional flavors like jalapeno and such. :rolleyes:

another Spot fan...but they are gone. Bagels...I guess you try to make your own, but of course, no NYC water and they keep saying that is the secret to a good bagel.

The bagels at Greenwood Bakery might be worth a try. I found them tough and chewy, not soft bread like. But sometimes they verge on crusty.

Sorry, I can't recommend anywhere in Seattle.

Originally from Montreal, my wife and I are also not happy with the bun-with-a-hole that are called bagels around here.  There used to be a place (I dunno -- might still be around) in Fremont that advertised Montreal-style bagels.  We tried them once.  Not.  Even.  Close.  Sorry, can't remember what they were called.

We were very happy to find Siegel's Bagels in Vancouver.  But these are *almost* as good as what I remember as a kid and what I get in Montreal during visits.  The border guards do look at us funny when we declare 5 or 6 dozen on the way home  :blink:

A bona fide bread and bagel snob, I grew up a a heartbeat from NYC and I was a convert to Montreal bagels the first time I tried them. I firmly believe that Montreal is the best bagel city in the world. You're not going to find anything nearly as good here.

That being said, the best I've found around here is the place on 15th in Capitol Hill. But honestly, I've just gotten used to living without bagels in Seattle unless I make them myself (and that's more work than I usually want).

It's sad, but what I lack in bagels I make up for in sushi. :smile:

another Spot fan...but they are gone.

I so miss my Spot bagels. I live in Wallingford so it was great to go to the Wallingford Center on Saturday mornings for my bagels. For a while after closing their retail locations they were being sold wholesale into stores....but it's been years since I've seen them.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I think Noah's NY Bagels (U-village, etc.) is pretty good. Especially the sesame. I stock up and freeze them. Their cream cheese are delicious too. I recently did a comparison with H&H bagels and Noah's was up to par in my opinion. I still ask for a dozen H&H whenever the NY posse comes to visit.

-Moose

I actually think that Bagel Oasis on 65th is good. The most comparable since I moved from NY. The one thing is that they are normal sized. I find Noah's to be huge oversized dough balls. Plus if you go in at around 4:30 I think when they are about to close they are discounted. Love the pumpernickle!

" You soo tall, but you so skinny. I like you, you come home with me, I feed you!"- random japanese food worker.

I actually think that Bagel Oasis on 65th is good. The most comparable since I moved from NY. The one thing is that they are normal sized. I find Noah's to be huge oversized dough balls. Plus if you go in at around 4:30  I think when they are about to close they are discounted. Love the pumpernickle!

I'll second this. Plus, they are good people--a while back I was asking for food donations for an event and they gave 10-12 dozen bagels. Offered more, but that was all we needed. Plus, bialies. (is that how you spell the plural?)

the bagel deli on 15th on Capitol Hill is an actual kosher, family-owned operation with better than most bagels. Fairly authentic with the exception of the breakfast bagel with bacon.

We went to Bagel Deli for the first time yesterday; it's our neighborhood bagel place since our recent move. I can't speak to the authenticity (I had a cranberry bagel), but my bagel was tasty, they had a big selection including choices like salt and onion for purists, and it's a nice airy space. They were doing a brisk business in flavored cream cheeses. Since they serve sandwiches with both ham and bacon (Matthew had a Denver bagel), "kosher" doesn't enter the equation.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Since they serve sandwiches with both ham and bacon (Matthew had a Denver bagel), "kosher" doesn't enter the equation.

actually it does. they have a seperate kosher table over to the left of the cooking area, with it's own knives board etc, where they prepare your food if you need it kosher (obviously no denvers over there)

The bagels here are above average and their challah (which you special order for pick up on fridays) is very good. Not my mom's but very good...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

The bagels here are above average and their challah (which you special order for pick up on fridays) is very good.  Not my mom's but very good...

We ordered challah for this week, so I'm glad to hear it's good. Matthew always uses challah for weekend French toast. (And thank you for supplying the correct info on their kosher offerings.)

Edited by LaurieA-B (log)
Hungry Monkey May 2009

• 2 weeks later...

Bagel Oasis approaches passable. There is no such thing as a truly proper NY or Montreal bagel in this city (I've lived in both places and miss the bagels of both dearly). I've gotten the frozen H&H bagels from that place3 on Madison. They really need to be fresh to be right. It was nice to get the flavor again but the freezing and such killed the texture. The best way to get proper NY or Montreal bagels is via visiting friend with a suitcase full of them.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell