• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bagels close to I95?

tikidoc

My daughter and I are taking a baking course today near Providence and will be driving home to VA tomorrow. We are staying just east of NYC tonight and would love to make a quick stop to bring home some good NYC bagels. Does anyone know of a place that is relatively close to I95? I don’t know NYC at all and want to be quickly on the way home. Outside the city but along the way is fine too - just want to get the real deal!

Where are you staying - in Nassau County?

This place...http://www.aandsbagels.com/  if you are anywhere near.

If you have an early start tomorrow, and can get into the city/Brooklyn, there are more choices.

And here's a place in New Jersey, which may work even better for you...Teaneck Road Hot Bagels 

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Providence is a nice town. Where I went to school.

Rockland Bakery is our stop when on the road to upstate. Might be a bit out of your way. But possibly a Providence to Rockland, then a google maps mileage check from RB to home and see the distance difference. Off the Paliasades Pkway it is just 5-7 minutes off the highway. Nice that it is a quick stop. Big parking lot, straight to the back, stop for gloves and a bag and help yourself. The bagels are so fresh they are too hot to handle. I'm in and out in less than 15. During the holidays always a half dozen cars filling big carry-on luggage to take home---probably Florida. 

Might even avoid some 95 traffic if you take the NewJersey way home. Jersey has some dry counties with many malls and stores are closed on Sundays. Just restaurants open.

I took these pics a few years ago...

Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 8.54.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 9.07.24 AM.png

Eater I-95 food stops. Eater has some travel food stops. Not familiar with these but Pete's. Not sure if the bakery listed has bagels. 

Nice thing about RocklandBakery are the prices. They deliver wholesale all over the city. They have a killer pumpernickel/rye swirl loaf and an adjustable slicer at checkout. At any given time about 75+ breads to choose from.

Thanks guys! Looks like Teaneck is the easiest to get to. We go to MA every summer, so will save the others for next time. We have a lot of driving to do today (with a teen!) so I’m going to take the option that adds the fewest miles.

Stopped at Teaneck. Was only maybe 5 minutes out of our way. After a weekend of making pastry, an everything bagel with lox and cream cheese was perfect. They were busy but efficient, and the staff is super friendly. Bagel sandwich was great, and I got a dozen to bring home for the family. This will be a regular stop on our yearly vacation in MA.

Edited by tikidoc (log)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, tikidoc said:

Stopped at Teaneck. Was only maybe 5 minutes out of our way. After a weekend of making pastry, an everything bagel with lox and cream cheese was perfect. They were busy but efficient, and the staff is super friendly. Bagel sandwich was great, and I got a dozen to bring home for the family. This will be a regular stop on our yearly vacation in MA.

Good to hear - once I looked at the map, I figured it was a pretty easy hop off of I95, though with I95 you can't really count on anything being easy.

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

7 hours ago, Annie_H said:

Fantastic. I was hoping to get feedback and the time off/back on the highway. Bookmarked it for the holidays when/if we travel south. I keep wanting to visit the Balthazar Bakery in NJ. (no bagels). My family would prefer bagels but DH's family have the sweet tooth gene. 

Oooh, Balthazar looks great too. May have to load up on our way to MA. We have a pretty big freezer at the vacation place, so will get 2 weeks worth of breads and bagels on the way. Our old usual spot for breads was Isabel Et Vincent in Fairfield CT but I always like to try new places.

I definitely would stop at Teaneck again. Easy to get to, great bagels/sandwiches, and really nice people.