• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Good Bibimbap

Mottmott

i had a very good version at miran, 21st & chestnut, just this past friday.  run you about $10 or so.

Thanks, I am half thinking of participating in the bibimbap cookoff and would like to taste it beforehand. I have the impression it's a bit like stew in that it has many possible ingredients and many variations. Still I'd like to taste at least one version before running about for ingredients and equipment.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

it's like a stew in that way, yes. but it's not like a stew in that it has no liquid ingredients to speak of. it's really just stuff stirred around with rice. and always with the egg. they do it with the lightly fried egg on it; some places just crack a raw egg on the hot rice.

it's a great dish. i gotta get myself a dolsot one of these days.

btw miran does lunch, if you don't feel like dinner. it's still new, and not perfect, but their bibimbap is good stuff.

Pastoral on 13th between Walnut and Locust does a good job too.

The individual ingredients stirred together is a great illustration of the adage "the sum is greater than its parts." :biggrin:

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

There is a place in West Chester called Koorma. Kind of a fusion place. They have bimbimbap, in regular bowls and the hot iron pot (my preferred method). They menu states it is made with scrambled egg but I have asked for a lightly fried egg every time and they made it the way I asked. Great stuff. Like what I had in Korea.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I think Tampopo makes a good version, although I don't remember enough liquid to consider it a stew.

Although I could be mixing it up with something else there.

At any rate, I like everything I've had from Tampopo, so I'd at least give it a shot. Probably about $8. 21st between Sansom and Chestnut.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

If you do decide that you enjoyed bibimbap and would like to make your own, I would recommend visiting Hanareum over in Elkins Park for your supplies.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda