• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Taste of Yaletown

Andrew Morrison

Wow, rockin busy tonight.

Saw the Cats in, Mama and Snacky, with men in tow. I could not break away from the kitchen to even say hi.

Some of Chocoholic's co-horts were in ( 30 of them ! ) 28 steaks, two fish.

Taste of Yaletown is off to a good start.

Heh heh, we saw you working away in the kitchen like a madman! :smile:

Our out of towners LOVED it (one of them ate polenta for the first time and liked it!). The whole table went for the mixed grill and the Hanger steak was a big hit as always. The saffron risotto and scallop amuse bouche was amazing (LOVED the colour - wow), and the raviolis were plate-lickingly delicious.

And I was relieved to see that the GBP was downsized into a manageable portion. I was slightly worried that 5 full-sized plates would come out and we'd have to hunt down 8 or 10 innocent bystanders to help us polish them off....

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

A little easier tonight.

I managed not to use every single item that I prepped. I do not have to start from zero tomorrow. I have a few ravioli and some soup left over. I am thinking that this menu might be a little ambitious since I have a new kitchen crew who are still getting used to the regular menu. I had to do every single item from the Taste of Yaletown menu last night with the exception of the gingerbread ( my dishwasher has a handle on that ! ).

Nice to hear that Pino is booked up. We are booking nicely for Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday.

A few tables were unable to finish their G bread tonight. A sin to see half a scoop of pumpkin ice cream in the garbage bin. I will make the amuse smaller !

My private dining room party host tonight went to Pino's last night for ToY and loved it. Said all seats were full.

OK, that's it for now. I have a sleep depbt to pay.

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

A little easier tonight.

A few tables were unable to finish their G bread tonight. A sin to see half a scoop of pumpkin ice cream in the garbage bin. I will make the amuse smaller !

Neil

A sin indeed but don't make the amuse smaller...it was SO good! The ToY menu is excellent, Neil, and amazing value. Our guests from Ottawa found it hard to believe that a meal of that quality could be had for that price.

A little easier tonight.

Neil

A sin indeed but don't make the amuse smaller...it was SO good! The ToY menu is excellent, Neil, and amazing value. Our guests from Ottawa found it hard to believe that a meal of that quality could be had for that price.

We had our Media launch party at the Opus hotel last night. I had to do a speech, which I fumbled through. I would have made a poor career choice as a public speaker. It is a good thing I have talents elsewhere. I should have had a few more of those martinis before stepping up to the mike. Live and learn. The room was packed. There were a couple of other events that finished at about 4:00 so this was a natural for people to move to. Martinis, wine and beer were flowing and some really great food by Sean Riley, Don Letendre, Grace from Simply Thai and the team from Browns.

An interview on KVOS last night, a four page spread in the Sun, Province on Monday....This is really starting to take off. The phone resos are coming in nicely, anyone that I talk to from the other restaurants are getting lots of action so I have high hopes.

My next interview is 7:30 a.m. on Monday. Good Lord ! Are people really up then ?? I hope I am able to shake it out of the rack for that. It is a good thing that I have a face for radio and I do not need to pretty myself up for this.

We have resos at Pino's on Tuesday the 11th. I am looking forward to that. It has been a while since I have dined there. 4 courses and wine pairings for $50.00 What a deal.

Check out www.tasteofyaletown.com to see all of the offerings.

Have to go now. Got to make apple tarts. I wish I had Ling on my staff. I am a terrible pastry person. You have all seen the GBP. That is the extent of my talent. It is not pretty to look at but at least it tastes good.

Cheers

Neil

Neil,

Only had a quick few minutes to check out the Launch Party at the Opus, great food from Grace-Simply Thai, dumplings were exquisite! Sean Riley-Coast Restaurant,awesome jog as always, the peanut butter truffles were to die for! Browns and Elixir always commendable. In the media world you guys have shaken things up a bit - PRESS FORWARD! CHALLENGE THE STATUS QUO!

We went to HSG last night. It was packed! Wow for a thursday too! Food was great and Neil looked really busy. It was only towards the end of the night that things started to slow down. Great Job Neil!

Hanger steak was very much packed with flavour. I didn't realize this cut had so much oomph! GBP as always divine (I ordered the apple tart because Sandy wanted the GBP...I should have gotten the GBP too!)

We're going to hit up Ciopinno's if we have time. It looks good too!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Be careful what you wish for : You just might get it.

I wished I could turn one of the slowest weeks of the year into a dining event. It seems to be working so far.

We were a little bit busy last night !

I am going to cut back on the reservations a little as I felt we were on the edge for a little longer than I liked. A couple of missed steps but all in all, well, a busy night.

I see a bunch of egullet names in the reso book but I do not know makanmakan's real handle so that will be a surprise. I would have never thought to put the words " deflower" and hanger steak together, it seems unnatural. :biggrin:

Back to my "mise"

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Be careful what you wish for : You just might get it.

I wished I could turn one of the slowest weeks of the year into a dining event. It seems to be working so far.

We were a little bit busy last night !

I am going to cut back on the reservations a little as I felt we were on the edge for a little longer than I liked. A couple of missed steps but all in all, well, a busy night.

I see a bunch of egullet names in the reso book but I do not know makanmakan's real handle so that will be a surprise. I would have never thought to put the words " deflower" and hanger steak together, it seems unnatural.  :biggrin:

Back to my "mise"

Neil

i look forward to seeing you in action! our reso is for 6 for the "deflowering"!! :raz:

quentina

Quentina

Had dinner at HSG last night - a truly memorable meal. The mushroom ravioli was fantastic (you really should consider making it a regular item on the menu Neil, if only seasonally), the now infamous hangar steak - terrific, intense beefy goodness. And of course, the Gingerbread Pudding - I can't believe that was a "small" portion. Great food in huge quantities - what more could I ask for?

It was a pleasure to finally meet Neil. Last night looked smokin' busy, but he managed to step away from the fires of the kitchen (figuratively speaking, of course...) to do some schmoozing. My only regret? - not going with my first instinct and getting a GBP to go - could've been enjoying that for breakfast instead of that insipid flax cereal my husband wants me to eat.... :blink:

Edited by quattroporte (log)

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

We also went to HSG last night. Stopped off at George first for a cocktail and a look at the Chihuli-like chandelier over the bar. Both were impressive.

HSG was indeed busy, but service was good humoured and efficient. We had a couple of family friends here from the UK (on their honeymoon), and they were very impressed with the food and the wine pairings. Portions (both food and wine)were very generous- Jo couldn't finish her huge portion of salmon (which she loved). Strangely though, she gobbled down every scrap of GBP :laugh: . We all had the ravioli, which was fantastic- I second thhe motion to have it make a regular appearence. The mixed grill was delicious. Intensely flavoured hangar steak, lambchop and prawns just barely cooked through, all sitting on a bed of polenta and autumnal vegetables- how can you go wrong?

Conversation came to a standstill during the GBP "event"...always a good sign :biggrin:

Neil managed to get out and circulate- it was nice to finally meet him. He was a consummate host, and even submitted to having his picture taken with the bride with only a few rumbles.

Thanks for a great evening and a great event, Neil.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Neil managed to get out and circulate- it was nice to finally meet him. He was a consummate host, and even submitted to having his picture taken with the bride with only a few rumbles.

Thanks for a great evening and a great event, Neil.

You could sell the photo to GQ.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

In the media world you guys have shaken things up a bit - PRESS FORWARD! CHALLENGE THE STATUS QUO!

Surfer, I am not sure what this means. I did not realize the media had their own world, and had no intention of shaking it up. That being said, I am very pleased with the results so far, at least for myself. I have heard a couple of comments comparing this to that giant Juggernaut Dine Out Vancouver. Tourism Vancouver were huge in teaching people about the price fixe format and the power it had when lots of restaurants took part in it. I understand it was a challenge for them to get people to sign on for the first year. Their work made Taste of Yaletown so much easier to get people on to as they already understood what it was and the impact it could have on their business. I have taken part in Dine Out Vancouver for two years and as we know, it is an unbelievable success.

I had one cocky bugger making a comment about this stealing Tvan's thunder. I turned to him and said it was not about that at all. It was about highlighting our neighbourhood and the culinary diversity in it. I added that I have a responsibility to my staff to keep them employed for 365 days a year, and Dine Out was only 13 of them. Taste of Yaletown is 11 days so now I only have to worry about another 340 some odd days. A few more days to go and then we will see where the numbers lie. I am already looking forward to next year.

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

In the media world you guys have shaken things up a bit - PRESS FORWARD! CHALLENGE THE STATUS QUO!

Surfer, I am not sure what this means. I did not realize the media had their own world, and had no intention of shaking it up. That being said, I am very pleased with the results so far, at least for myself. I have heard a couple of comments comparing this to that giant Juggernaut Dine Out Vancouver. Tourism Vancouver were huge in teaching people about the price fixe format and the power it had when lots of restaurants took part in it. I understand it was a challenge for them to get people to sign on for the first year. Their work made Taste of Yaletown so much easier to get people on to as they already understood what it was and the impact it could have on their business. I have taken part in Dine Out Vancouver for two years and as we know, it is an unbelievable success.

I had one cocky bugger making a comment about this stealing Tvan's thunder. I turned to him and said it was not about that at all. It was about highlighting our neighbourhood and the culinary diversity in it. I added that I have a responsibility to my staff to keep them employed for 365 days a year, and Dine Out was only 13 of them. Taste of Yaletown is 11 days so now I only have to worry about another 340 some odd days. A few more days to go and then we will see where the numbers lie. I am already looking forward to next year.

Perhaps other culturally diverse neighbourhoods could join in.

Edited by Luciano Loi (log)

I nominate Luciano Loi to be the Grand Marshal of the first annual Taste of Kitsilano. :biggrin:

That would be fun. How many slow seasons are left on the restaurant calendar?

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

I nominate Luciano Loi to be the Grand Marshal of the first annual Taste of Kitsilano.  :biggrin:

Most restauranteurs will tell you that there are no slow seasons !

We are a funny bunch. Walk into a quiet restaurant and ask the owner where everybody is and he will tell you they were rockin' busy and everybody just left !

Easter is the next slow time. Luciano, pick up the ball and run with it !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

I nominate Luciano Loi to be the Grand Marshal of the first annual Taste of Kitsilano.  :biggrin:

Most restauranteurs will tell you that there are no slow seasons !

We are a funny bunch. Walk into a quiet restaurant and ask the owner where everybody is and he will tell you they were rockin' busy and everybody just left !

Easter is the next slow time. Luciano, pick up the ball and run with it !

Could be fun. No slow times???????????? We're no stranger to hard work. I believe when we had Papi's in Steveston in 1993 we had the only wine club with monthly wine dinners in the lower mainland. Would be a great way to meet our restaurant neighbours too!

so, my hangar steak and gingerbread pudding "deflowering" happened on saturday night. it was the first time for both of us at HSG. such a nice, warm and cosy space. our servers were super attentive (we had a trainee as well as the trainer) and very friendly. since i had looked at the menu before getting there, and read this thread as well, i knew what i was having! started with the martini special (can't remember what it was called but it had coconut rum in it!) and he had the classic gin. both were enjoyed with the amuse of a baby quiche, which was very tasty. i had the mushroom ravioli (add another vote here for adding this to the regular menu) and he had the soup. YUM! then we both had the grill plate. omg, the hangar steak, beefy, cooked to perfection and so very good. the lamb chop and the polenta were wonderful as well. dessert was the gbp for me, of course, and he had the apple pie. i HAD to give up a few bites of the gbp and it killed me!! we did the wine pairing as well and each wine was perfectly matched with each bite. well done!

it was great to finally meet neil. in my head, i always want to call him "nwyles"! he was very busy in the kitchen but poked his head up and introduced himself. we will definitely see you again, neil. we were most impressed by every part of our evening there. thanks!

dreaming of the gbp.... :wub:

Quentina

I had the Taste of Yaletown Dinner at Cioppino's last night. It was a fantastic deal @ $50.00

Pino also included an extra couple of Amuse Bouches so we were up to 6 courses.

As it is not my everyday eating restaurant, I forget how exceptional the food there is. The room was very busy, both sides. The ToY menu is available on the Enoteca side, so that filled quickly. I am not sure how many people he lets make reservations for ToY but it has been selling out each night. It was great to have him involved this year. He certainly gave great value to the program.

We popped into George for a couple afterwards. The room had a great buzz. NIce to see. Love the Honey ( Moscow ) Mule.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill