• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food for a Riesling Tasting?

tammylc

My wine club is meeting tomorrow night, and the theme is German Rieslings. We've got four 2002 Riesling Kabinetts, one each from four different growing regions in Germany. People in the group are really interested in tasting how wine and food interact with each other, so we usually taste and evaluate the wines on their own first, then again with food.

Any suggestions?

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Hors d'oeuvres involving any of the following:

- Salmon (poached and chilled, tartare, lightly smoked, gravlax)

- Lightly smoked trout with horseradish cream

- Sushi and sashimi, especially made from mild white fish/shellfish

- Whitefish cavair, salmon caviar

- Crab or shrimp salads (e.g. crab with garlic, chile, lime, fish sauce, cilantro and sugar on endive leaves; tiny shrimp with mayo dressing in an avocado half)

- Weisswurst

- Melon and prosciutto

In addition to carswell's excellent suggestions:

Lightly smoked sablefish with cfeme fraiche; American lumpfish caviar, garlic-chilli wok-fried baby squid tubes.

Sushi is an easy pairing with Kabinett; and chicken chow mein, of all things, is joined at the hip.

If you're sampling a late harvest reisling, a spiced-peach tarte Tatin might be interesting this time of year.

Cheers,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

One of the greatest food and wine matches happens to be Riesling with heat or spice, which makes it a great wine for spicy Asian or Mexican dishes. The heat from the food is mitigated by the fruitiness of the wine. Asian dishes tend to have sweetness in addition to heat and the sweetness in the preparation is balanced out by the fruitiness of the wine. Try kabinetts that are of varying degrees of fruitiness.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've got limited preparation time, so I'm leaning towards things that are simple to put together. My budget is also pretty small, but people don't expect a lot of food, just tastses.

I think I'm going to do some sort of smoked fish (I'll see what I find when I'm out), melon and prosciutto, and curried chicken salad (Whole Foods sells a really nice prepared one). And bread, of course.

Given where I'll be shopping, I'll probably get sucked in by the cheese case. Any favorite cheese combinations to share?

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Ah, I remember those Rieslings! Ms. Alex did a multi-country (US, Australia, Germany, Austria) Riesling tasting with some friends earlier this summer, with some surprising results.

Don't quote me on this, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that cheese is not recommended as an accompaniment for wine tasting because of how it coats the tongue. If you do want a cheese, though, I'm thinking an Emmenthaler would be a good match. I'd also want no more than a very light smoke on the fish. I love the melon and proscuitto idea. We had figs and proscuitto as a starter the other night, and I found myself wishing I had chilled and opened a Riesling instead of a Viognier.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer