• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gluten-Free Pizza Recipe

Pam R

We're catering a wedding next weekend. While the adults are having salmon, the children are getting pizza. One of the kids is gluten intolerant and my mother promised them that this wouldn't be a problem. Then she told me that I needed to come up with a recipe.

My searches aren't turning up anything great - it's kosher so I can't use gelatin - which most of them use. Anybody have a good recipe?

Thanks,

Pam

Is the child a celiac? Some people say they are gluten intolerant but it's associated with wheat only. These folks can usually tolerate spelt. You should be able to get spelt flour at your local health food store or I might suggest contacting that very cool bakery in Winnipeg - I can't for the life of me find the article about it that appeared in the National Post two weeks ago - the name escapes me. They bake organic with many alternative grains - organic, spelt, kamut ,etc. These folks will definitely know what to use for gluten free pizza.

S

I might suggest looking at doing a corn meal based crust or maybe just corn tortillas as crust for the possible coeliac. I've seen kosher gluten free pizza crust mixes, but not sure what they put in them. I'm sure google will turn up lots of cornmeal crust recipes.

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

Pam,

A neighbor of mine in Canada had celiac and used to make his own pizza dough from a mixture of rice and spelt flours. I wish I could give you proportions :sad: Good Luck.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

do a web search for wendy wark's gluten free flour mix. I haven't done pizza with it myself, but I'm pretty sure my celiac friend has, and I know you can find it online.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

There is a really good gluten free pizza dough recipe in "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread". Probably not a purchase you'd want to make just for one recipe, but you may find a copy of the cookbook at your local library. I have a friend with celiac and we all fought over his pizza when he made it.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Thanks for the search tips (and cookbook tips) - I'll explore more after work today when I have some time.

Still open if anybody would like to post a recipe... :biggrin:

oh.. I'm not sure if the child has celiac's or not - but decided it was best to be safe

My husband has celiac disease, and we are still in the hunt for a great homemade pizza crust. We have had the best luck with premade frozen Ener-G crusts. Whole Foods also has a premade frozen crust that is not bad.

I recently made the following recipe for gluten free naan bread and it was really good. I was thinking of trying it for pizza crust:

http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-42105139224.11

Good luck! I think it's really great that you are being so accomodating, and I am sure that the boy in question will be happy not to stand out from all the other kids.

There is a really good gluten free pizza dough recipe in "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread".

I checked this book out today - the recipe called for gelatin. The same author (Bette Hagman) had another book - the original - "Gluten-Free Gourmet". This one has 4 recipes, at least 2 of them don't contain gelatin. The book also has recipes for desserts so the kid may even get a brownie. I'll try a couple of the recipes in the next couple of days.

Ah - didn't have a copy of the cookbook handy so I didn't know she called for gelatin. It's difficult to recreate the properties of gluten in a dough so there are many unusual additives (for bread dough, anyway) to make up for this. She uses xanthan gum in many of the other recipes and that seems to help with the mouthfeel of the finished product.

Do be aware that baking without gluten is a bit different. It will pay off to really read the directions even if you've made pizza dough thousands of times, since a dough free of gluten will react very differently throughout the cooking process.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Gluten intolerant does not necessarily mean the child/ person has celiac disease or he/she wont tolerate low gluten flour mixes.

Some mothers too like to blame gluten as some doctors point to gluten as causing behavioral changes in children even autism but there is nothing proven

On the other hand a normal plain flour could be used which has low protein levels for making pizza certainly not New York style pizza but hey children will not mind a low gluten pizza Would they?

Edited by piazzola (log)

I read through the recipes today and have selected a couple to try. Went out and bought the various flours (as well as the ingredients for the brownies) so tomorrow I'll test them.

I also happen to be somewhat gluten intolerant (not celiac). At my age I think it's easier to avoid 'baked' products - but I'm hoping I like some of these recipes - just so I have an option.

The store I went to had many more flours that weren't called for in the recipe (buckwheat, quinoa, teff, etc.) - when I have some time I think I may do some of my own experimenting.

BTW - it was pointed out that instead of the gelatin I could try subbing my agar agar (just arrived, haven't used it yet) - there are so many things to try! We'll see what happens :smile:

Update: I tried a recipe - yeast, potato starch, potato flour and rice flour. I don't think it would fool you into thinking it was the real thing - but it was darn good.

The brownie recipe was good too - though I tweaked it a little.

When I have some time, I think I'd like to try some of my own experiments - using some of the flours that don't really seem to appear in the cookbook. But for now, this will definately pass.

Glad to hear the recipes went well! You're right - the pizza dough definitely isn't the same, but it is very good in its own right.

Kathy

Ever thought about chickpea flour?

Yes. :smile:

It's on the list of flours to try using. While the potato/rice flours worked nicely, I think that there has to be better options. Rice has a grainy texture that I don't like.

I use chick pea flour to make crackers mostly. Kiddle doesn't care for the distinctive taste, but I do. I'm going to try it mixed with potato flour for a pizza dough, it tends to have a spiciness that I think will lend it to pizza favorably. Pam, I agree with you about rice flour, and it has much less nutritive value than other alternative flours. I just skip it completely.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Another untried suggestion, although this one comes very highly recommended from a number of sources (I can't wait to try it myself!). This one is a Brazilian bread recipe that uses only tapioca starch. It also includes eggs and cheese. The rolls from this recipe are pleasantly chewy and not at all grainy. You can find the recipe here:

http://www.connceliac.com/

Edited by SMW (log)