• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heat-Induced Fantasies of Food to Come

Man, I believe it! I will be starting a graduate program later this month, so I don't expect to have as much time for cooking as I would like by winter. Thus the crock-pot comment. Chrisamirault, I am going for just the effect you described!

Woohoo! I might freeze my butt off, but it is going to be great fun in the process!!

I have some nice big reds waiting for a dinner party when it's cool enough to have the oven on and eat a big meal. (And I'm definitely not complaining about our late-arriving but lovely summer.)

I've been unable to figure out what to cook, but from this thread, I guess lamb shanks will be the order of the day :biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I've decided to bake a bunch of Double Whammy Cherry Brannies (whole grains, banana, dried cherry fat free muffins)

Could you spare a recipe? Sounds tasty!

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

Here's what I'm dying to make: Mahogany Beef Stew

Potatoes Robuchon.

Chicken soup with dumplings.

More soup!

Enchiladas.

The tiny kitchen in our apartment was designed by a masochist :angry: ; in summer, it's brutally hot (*without* the oven/burners on); in winter, it's freezing.....which is why it's much more enjoyable to cook then.

Frankly, I'm tired of summer food! :sad:

Summer has not really arrived yet here in Holland and I don't think it will... I think we will slip quietly from this cold, wet and windy August into a cold, wet and windy fall. I could really use some sunny days and a chance to wear my summerdresses!

that said.. fall is my favorite cooking season.. and only yesterday I found myself craving beef stew.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this topic as I was having the same toughts as I passed on a number of ingrediants at the super market today.

Braised Short Ribs

deep fried turkey

Chili

Oxtail Soup

Gumbo (chicken, seafood, I don't care)

Red beans and rice

Ham (city, I have yet to tackle country. I use Alton B's recipe)

Bread

Then I passed all the fresh fruits and melons and thought, I'm not in a hurry just yet.

Soup

We had a cold and rainy day today, so I finally made a nice big pot of peanut butter chicken curry. I'd been really craving some, but I couldn't stand the thought of turning on the oven. I made enough to freeze for a second meal.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I have been cooking a bit in spite of the horrendous heat this year - generally only on the stove top or grill, however. I set up a fan to blow directly on me while I'm cooking - helps make it tolerable. Last night I made lamb chunks on skewers, marinated with rosemary and grilled. Another favorite summertime dish is ratatoule (sp?) with the very fresh tomatoes and eggplant, which I freeze for winter enjoyment.

Can't wait until it rains though, we are in a drought here!

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

We had a cold and rainy day today, so I finally made a nice big pot of peanut butter chicken curry.

Marcia.

This sound really good. Mind sharing the recipe???

Sure, no problem. This is a riff on the Tender Turkey and Peanut Butter Curry from Ainsley Harriott's Gourmet Express 2, which has turned out to be one of the best cookbooks I was ever given. (I hope I did the eGullet Amazon link right.)

I have no idea if it's authentic, I only know it's good.

Peanut Butter Chicken Curry

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into roughly 1/2" cubes

oil for browning

1 small or 1/2 large onion, diced

1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (or other hot chile pepper)

1 tbsp grated ginger

1 tbsp minced or crushed garlic (2-3 cloves)

1 1/2 tbsp Madras Curry Powder

1/3 cup peanut butter

1 can unsweetened coconut milk (+ cream if it's in there)

1 cup chicken stock/broth

1 can diced tomatoes with juice

1/2 lb cauliflower florets, frozen or fresh

1/2 - 1 cup frozen peas

salt and pepper (and possibly sugar) to taste

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large oven-safe pot (I use my Le Creuset), brown the chicken in oil. Add the onion and cook until onion is soft and translucent. Add the jalapeno, ginger, and garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the curry powder and cook until really fragrant. Add the peanut butter and let it melt, a really short time.

Add the coconut milk, tomatoes, and cauliflower, and bring to a simmer, stirring regularly so everything's mixed. Put a lid on the pot and put it in the oven for 25 minutes.

After 25 minutes, add the peas, and bake another 5 minutes.

Adjust taste with salt and pepper. Serve with rice (or not, if you don't want it). Makes 4 large servings and freezes VERY well.

Sometimes the ingredients are a bit on the bitter side, and since I use unsweetened peanut butter, I need to add a little sugar (or Splenda works well, too) to balance it out. (But Skippy and the like work just fine - crunchy or smooth.)

Measurements are rough guesses at best, since at this point the only thing I measure is the curry powder. There are many substitutions which can be made with delicious results. I once made this for vegetarians by using butternut squash for the chicken and vegetable broth for the chicken stock.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Thanksgiving falls pretty early this year--October 10th. I have my eye on a handsome bird who should tip out in the high teens--optimal food to fuss ratio.

But autumn will truly engage with braised boar with Milan's tomatoes. We've frozen some jars for just such an occasion, waiting for Daylight Savings to peter out, a blast of the first cold wind and corduroy trousers to peter in.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

This morning's temperatures reminded me of the first day of school :biggrin:

Lentil soup with corn bread

White bean chicken chili

French onion soup

Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic

Beef stroganoff

That Buffalo chicken dip that's all over the Internet made with Monterey Jack, Frank's Hot Sauce and Ranch dressing - sounds terrible, but it's surprisingly yummy on tortilla chips and good for watching the Redskins lose :angry:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

We went to a dinner party last week where our hostess served crown roast of pork with mashed potatoes...the beads of sweat on her forehead were almost as big as the pearls around her neck.

• 2 months later...

And here we are in the Fall season! Temps dipping down around here and out come the big sweaters to bundle up in!

What have you been cooking?

I've been fattening up for the winter season with various game tourtes.

I have a rabbit in the frigo ready for braising with mustard and creme fraiche, with which I think I will use the leftovers for a nice pie.

It's been rather unseasonably warm here the past little while. I must admit though to turning to more and more braises as the days pass. Right now, I've got baked beans going in the oven, and a pork shoulder marinating for a braise tomorrow.

French Onion soup starts to make a regular appearance in my cooking repetoire this time of year as well. I tend to do roasts all year, the only difference being that I'll start doing them in the oven instead of outdoors on the spit.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I have all the makings for a real, true coq au vin waiting for me at home. I've also been thinking a lot about pear and apple tarts and pies. Also, parsnips! Roasted, mashed, buttered...yum.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Dug through some old favorites and made Alison on Dominick's Lamb Shanks with White Bean Puree last night...you can find the recipe in Molly O'Neill's "Well Seasoned Appetite".

Hee I was dreaming about lamb shanks up there in 100-degreeish July, and prepared them last week, the first such braisey dish since. Nice Icelandic shanks from Whole Foods, in the style of osso bucco.

A balm, just hauling out the proper-size Descoware.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

It is so unseasonably warm here (Minnesota) that I donned t-shirt and shorts to rake. Should it be this warm tomorrow, I'm tossing all of those thoughts of braising in favor of burgers on the grill.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"