• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Long weekend bbq

chef jeff

So, the threads on EG have been a little slow in the last few days. I assume it's because everyone is away/busy relaxing. So instead of complain about it, I figured I should start a thread. I am stuck in the kitchen all weekend (hoping to go fly fishing on Monday) while all my non-industry friends are barbecuing. I love to barbecue, so let me live vicariously(sp?) through all of you. What are you making? I want details; meats, marinates, methods, coal or gas, wines, beers, etc. Bring me some!!!!

jeff :wub: s bbq

I don't have a bbq...I might marinate some "country ribs" in something vinegary and mustardy and pop them in the oven later, though, depending what I see at the grocery store. Actually, that sounds good, with some mashed potatoes maybe.

Mostly I know I can count on the garlicky, meaty, charcoaly smell of all my neighbours' dinners permeating my apartment, and my miserable, allergy-afflicted sinuses, for hours of delight later on :hmmm:

(sometimes I think apartment living is not for me...:wink:)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I can see Vera's from my office window at home and the smells waft in and seduce my family on a daily basis.

That being said (and with my sad BBQ within earshot), I'd want to have boerewors incisioned and soaked in a mix of ale, chilies, and honey and plated with wasabi mango mashed potatoes and sauteed (and spiced) sea asparagus.

Damn you Vera's (I'm shutting this stupid window).

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

My neighbour threw a Canada Day party and did Ron Shewchuk's cedar plank salmon with Jack Daniels and maple syrup glaze, along with chicken kebobs with some sort of Indian marinade - lots of yoghurt and cumin, not sure about the rest of the ingredients.

Myself, I Q'd 2 sets of hot dogs (sans marinade - lol) for the youngest member of the household, and did quesidillas for my wife and I last night. Whole wheat tortillas, shredded smoked gouda and monterrey jack cheese, some chopped tomato and peeled and sliced granny smith apples. They were great.

Tonight, we'll be searing some tuna steaks on the grill. Not sure yet about a marinade. I'll probably roast some beets and grill some asparagas, both of which will have a simple EVOO-and-balsamic vinegar marinade with salt and pepper.

Tomorrow we are off to Tofino, where we've planned to BBQ a) lamb burgers stuffed with goat cheese, and b) some locally-purchased seafood.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure we cooked anything without using the grill this weekend...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Worked Friday and Saturday nights so tonight is "grill night".

Pork tenderloin marinated in soy sauce, garlic, ginger, brown sugar and lime juice - then wrapped in pancetta and grilled (indirect heat) over charcoal, finish over direct heat to crisp the pancetta, accompanied by green beans and red peppers grilled (direct heat) and saffron rice.

Drinking Radeberger Pils while prepping/grilling and Valdevieso Malbec with dinner.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

I fell for a hankering of barbecue beef ribs and chicken. These IBP halved beef ribs use to come packed in dueces at the local market, now they are singles, they probably thought I lost my appetite,

gallery_11593_1454_221337.jpg

Most important to pull the membrane on these, before applying a rub

gallery_11593_1454_11510.jpg

I use a rub consisting of paprika, and my own smoked chile powder, pepper and salt.

gallery_11593_1454_240150.jpg

Lightly dusted both sides

gallery_11593_1454_222661.jpg

I've got the Backwoods cooker coming up to heat

gallery_11593_1454_61320.jpeg

Fairly simple in operation, it's a typical insulated wall cooker, with a water pan directly above the fuel source. As the fuel burns, it travels up the inside wall of the cooker, and the heat enters the cooking chamber from the top, and vents from the bottom of the chamber up through the chimney.

gallery_11593_1454_178321.jpeg

I'll keep the direct heat off these, and cook near the bottom of the chamber. more later

gallery_11593_1454_172127.jpg

more later

woodburner

My neighbour threw a Canada Day party and did Ron Shewchuk's cedar plank salmon with Jack Daniels and maple syrup glaze, along with chicken kebobs with some sort of Indian marinade - lots of yoghurt and cumin, not sure about the rest of the ingredients.

Vancouver Lee (or anyone else out there) any suggestion on where I can find the recipe for Ron Shewchuk's salmon - I have a cedar plank and know someone who would LOVE ME if I prepared it with a Jack Daniels glaze.

Chicken soaked overnight in buttermilk, spatchcocked and about a dozen thighs

gallery_11593_1454_136153.jpg

gallery_11593_1454_164033.jpg

Hard Neck Garlic on the left side of the picture, close to harvest, with one bottom leave just starting to wilt. Time for a dip

gallery_11593_1454_326321.jpg

After a six hour smoke bath

gallery_11593_1454_187111.jpg

woodburner

Dayum! Looks great, woodburner.

Would you care to share the exact proportions of your rub recipe with us? I know you are . . erm, well-seasoned when it comes to smoking meats. :biggrin::wink:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Finally cleared the smoke from my eyes...

On the 4th with the Weber Kettle- Q'd a mixed grill finishing up just prior to the downpour. Dry rubbed pork chops with plenty of hot hungarian paprika, salt and pepper, wet Q'd a baby back slab, dijoned-tarragoned some chicken legs and wings, Thai chili, ginger and lime marinaded the breasts, steak seasoned skirt steaks, lemon, caper and buttered the alaskan sockeye filet, and added hot dogs, hamburgers and merqez sausages for the kids. The timing for cooking all the different meats and cuts was really difficult and the super humid weather made the start slow(I do not use accelerants). But once it got going I was a Weber slave finally cooking the salmon last. Made me appreciate more the fine art of bbq-I really can't figure out how you all achieve standard temps with a Weber kettle. It seems once I get the grill going it is hotter than Hell and there is no turning back. Lid on-lid off;vents open-vents closed- do not seem to make a difference.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

A little late for 4th of July, but here goes.

Inspired by this thread,

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=68022&hl=

I ordered a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker. I've cooked ribs 3 times and been very pleased with the results. A great product at a bargain price. Much easier to use than my other smokers. Thanks to the posters who recommended it (lcdm, Daddy-A).

And the learning curve is very quick thanks to the web site also recommended in the thread: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Looking forward to tackling the longer cooked pork shoulders, butts (shoulders in sheep's clothing), and briskets. Got to try the dreaded Minion method! :raz: