• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winery tasting room appointments

Really Nice!

What's the general concensus when a Napa Valley winery says to call for an appointment for their tasting room? Is it really a requirement?

We're taking a well-deserved break next week and will be driving through Napa Valley. On each trip there I like to visit an area that I haven't gone to before. This trip it's going to be the North Silverado Trail:

• Calistoga Cellars

• Vincent Arroyo Winery

• Zahtila Vineyards

• On the edge

• Silver Rose Cellers

• Dutch Henry Winery

• Sterling Vineyards

• Casa Nuestra Winery

and Spring Mountain District:

• Barnett Vineyards

• Cain Vineyard & Winery

• Fife Vineyards

• Paloma Vineyard

• Pride Mountain Vineyards

• Robert Keenan Winery

• Schweiger Vineyards

• Sherwin Family Vineyards

• Spring Mountain Vineyard

• Terra Valentine

Anyone have experience visiting these places? On the Web sites most say to call for an appointment. Is that a hard-and-fast standing rule or a guideline as in it's a crapshoot and maybe someone will be there. :smile: I know I'll have no clue as to what day I'll be in which neighborhood and forget about pinning down a timeframe for any given day.

Thanks!

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Appointments are necessary when the winery isn't staffed up to accommodate the large number of folks who would walk in wanting to taste through the wines. Also, some of them are off the beaten track, and it would be difficult to keep a tasting room staffed for an unpredictable traffic flow. Others are also small production operations, and they'd prefer to limit the amount of wine set aside for tastings. Some of them are also small operations where the person pouring the wine in the tasting room has a list of other duties he or she performs around the winery. Making an appointment allows them to devote the time to give you a good experience.

For sure, stop in at Schweiger. Andy Schweiger is a great personality, not to be missed. For the Spring Mountain District, I would also add to your list Smith Madrone Winery. Stuart and Charles Smith are true charcters, and Stuart is not short on opinions at all. While you're in that area, you can also stop in at Stony Hill and see what you think of their Chardonnay. :smile:

Edited by Brad Ballinger (log)

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

An advance call to a winery to coordinate a visit and tasting is more than a mere courtesy and has something akin to making advance reservations at restaurants. First of all, it assures you that someone will be there to greet you and from your own point of view also assures that you will not be showing up at the same time as two busloads of tourists. Second, in nearly all cases, showing the courtesy of an advance phone call almost always ensures that you will be given a broader, more extensive tasting than that given to people who simply "drop in".

Especially with boutique and other small wineries, when it may even be the winemaker who greets you, this allows him/her to plan their day to include your visit. And, once present, if they see you understand and appreciate wine, you may find yourself being offered fascinating insights into the winemaker and the wines of the winery.

In my opinion, unless you want to be treated like a tourist and not a wine-lover, no matter how tight your schedule, always best to phone ahead.

Best,

Rogov

as we drove around the okanagan last weekend I noticed that most places (many of them very small) were able to accomodate us and we phoned each a few hours before arrival.

on any given day by midmorning you could have some clear idea of the next half dozen stops, you could then give each of them something of a window, phone if you'll be delayed, but above and beyond, just stick to that schedule. anyone with more experience find this to be reasonable or am i just splitting a baby in half.

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

In the case of some of the Napa wineries it's simply an issue of the tasting room license issued by the county. Newer wineries, are required to have 'appointment only' tasting rooms. I know of a few who get around that requirement by having you fill out a card when you are there that is used to document that you requested a tasting appointment.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

You won't have much trouble walking in without appointments at the wineries you listed on Silverado Trail. Vincent Arroyo is a particularly good place to visit.

But you will have a GREAT deal of difficulty doing so at many of the Spring Mountain places you listed. These wineries (Pride, Paloma, and Schweiger to name three) have installed electric gates at their entrances, and if you're not on their appointment list, they won't let you in! I suspect the only two on your list which may not require an appointment would be Keenan and Spring Mountain...

Mark

When we were in the area last month we only made reservations at those that said they were required (Paradigm, Cakebread, Schramsberg) and even then we made most the morning we were heading out.

On the north Silverado Trail there is a winery Miner that we really liked. They do an exclusive 1/2 bottle bottling for TFL of Syrah and even though it wasn't on their tasting list that day they opened it for us when we inquired. Really nice wine. The winery is just past Mumm and on the other side of the road. No ressies nessesary.

Have fun!!