• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butcher shop at VCC?

I'm considering buying meat from this place. Does it still exist? Does anyone have good experiences with their purchase? Is the price reasonable? I don't normally buy meat but I'm slowly coming out of my vegetarian state. I know there are other good butchers in town but I am only interested in this place for now.

Thanks!

When I worked a block away, I used to buy my meat there and the prices were fantastic, the quality pretty decent, just remember that some cuts won't look very good. I haven't been by in a couple of years, so I'm not sure if it's still open.

The shop closed when the butchery program ended..a couple of years ago. There weren't enough students to keep it going. I heard if you want to learn butchery in BC you have to go to Kamloops. It was a good shop, great prices.

Doesn't/didn't BCIT have a butcher program and shop?

Kamloops is the only place in the province to learn butchery?

That's what I was told a couple of years ago...when the program closed..things might have changed since then.

You may be tempted by Sav-On Meats on Hastings - don't do it.  My brother bought a roast there (just to satisfy his curiousity).  It was not pretty.  Single A beef - is'nt that basically utility grade?

I hear there's like a burger stand at the back of the store - is that true?

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf