• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Food Center in Little Italy?

Kobi

For everyone's reference, this is the superpages.com listing for "Italian Food Center":

Italian Food Center

186 Grand, New York, NY 10013

(212) 226-9046

I know nothing about it, and a "Little Italy" lunch for me would most likely be Chinese. :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

I've been there probably fifty times. They make excellent deli sandwiches and some pretty good non-sandwich prepared foods, and they have a good selection of Italian food products. Almost anything that DiPalo's and IFC both carry is going to be better at DiPalo's, but IFC is good too.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

. . .  Almost anything that DiPalo's and IFC both carry is going to be better at DiPalo's, but IFC is good too.

Better, fresher and probably less expensive. I'm a great fan and loyal customer of Di Palo's, but Di Palo's doesn't make sandwiches. Nevertheless, I don't think of IFC as a restaurant. It's a place that makes sandwiches and has been adding tables on the street.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Get the # 1, the famous New York whatever. I often ask them to add a drizzle of the hot red pepper juice that sits in a huge glass crock on the counter (at a small additional charge).

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

• 9 months later...

I heard from a coworker that the Italian Food Center was sold, and that the offerings have changed, and are no longer as good. Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone been there recently?