• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brooklyn Food

jrichman

I have to head over to the Borough Hall Subway stop soon, and was wondering of any good food places over there for some lunch...Thanks!!!

There's Queen for higher-end red sauce Italian.. It's where the attorney's and judges go to eat.. on Court Street..

for low brow I like the Slovaki Joint on Lawrence Street.. the place is 20 or 30 years old, same guys own the building and have been there forever.. great gyro and chicken kabobs.. no atmosphere to speak of- it's great for a lunch alone..

THe slovaki joint sounds right up my alley - what is it called, and can you provide the location, directions, phone number. Thanks

I have to head over to the Borough Hall Subway stop soon, and was wondering of any good food places over there for some lunch...Thanks!!!

There's Queen for higher-end red sauce Italian.. It's where the attorney's and judges go to eat.. on Court Street..

for low brow I like the Slovaki Joint on Lawrence Street.. the place is 20 or 30 years old, same guys own the building and have been there forever.. great gyro and chicken kabobs.. no atmosphere to speak of- it's great for a lunch alone..

Also on Lawrence is Justin's Trinidadian and Guyanese Cuisine - great roti and daily specials. (skip the pre-fried doubles and phalourie)

There's also a small Jamaican joint on Bridge Street that makes good to very good jerk pork, something you don't find too often...

If you're really hungry, go over to Yemen Cafe & Restaurant on Atlantic Av. For a more regular-sized meal, you can try Water Falls Cafe, also on Atlantic. I have yet to have anything savory there, but it always smells good in there, their sweets are good, and the place has gotten a lot of good mentions here and elsewhere. They serve Levantine food.

Michael aka "Pan"

THe slovaki joint sounds right up my alley - what is it called, and can you provide the location, directions, phone number. Thanks

not a clue what it's called.. when you come out of the subway station, you need to cross the four lane highway and go three or four blocks down Joralemon Street (you'll pass the pizza place on the corner, the Wendy's will be on the left as you walk) go one block past Jay Street, which is a highly trafficked street (and where the A and F train station is) and make a left on Lawrence.. half a block down, on the left hand side you'll see the place..

if these seem confusing, ask someone where jay street is.. they'll point you in the right direction and then you just keep going one more block and make the left..