• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Backyard Grilling

I heard that Smith and Wollensky is now selling it's steaks for at-home grilling. Anyone else hear about this? Also I've never been to S & W, how would their meat stand up to my main steak place, Harry Ochs in the RTM? I just bought my dad a big, bad ass grill for Father's Day and would really enjoy some big, bad ass steaks to fire up on that grill.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I heard that Smith and Wollensky is now selling it's steaks for at-home grilling. Anyone else hear about this? Also I've never been to S & W, how would their meat stand up to my main steak place, Harry Ochs in the RTM? I just bought my dad a big, bad ass grill for Father's Day and would really enjoy some big, bad ass steaks to fire up on that grill.

I'm sure the S&W steaks are grossly overpriced. Heck - I've found good steaks at Acme and ShopRite from time to time.

Since you're already acquainted with Harry Ochs you're in good shape for steaks. Other possibilities include Cannuli's (they sell more than pork) and Sonny D'Angelo in the Italian Market for steaks, game and amazing sausages.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Undoubtedly, the best grilling meats are to found at Hendricks Farms & Dairy, located in Telford, PA 30 minutes north of center city. As producers of grass-fed, beef, lamb, chicken and goat, they offer exciting options not to be found at your local grocer or specialty retailer. If you check out their website (www.hendricksfarmsanddairy.com ) {pathetic but undergoing a facelift} you can sign up for their weekly email which details the fresh meats of the week along with other goodies like artisanal award winning cheeses and more.

www.hendricksfarmsanddairy.com

I'm sure the S&W steaks are grossly overpriced. Heck - I've found good steaks at Acme and ShopRite from time to time.

Since you're already acquainted with Harry Ochs you're in good shape for steaks. Other possibilities include Cannuli's (they sell more than pork) and Sonny D'Angelo in the Italian Market for steaks, game and amazing sausages.

Katie, I notice you don't mention Esposito's on 9th St.. Are they a bit too "factory-esque" for your taste?

Tim,

Stick with Harry Ochs!!!

:laugh:

Paul

猿も木から落ちる - Saru mo ki kara ochiru

(Even monkeys can fall from a tree)

Katie, I notice you don't mention Esposito's on 9th St.. Are they a bit too "factory-esque" for your taste?

Actually, no. I just didn't remember them off the top of my often muddled little head. :rolleyes:

Any of the real butchers in town will always have something that looks good. Just depends how stuck you are on a particular cut of meat. I try to go in with an attitude of "I don't know my menu until I see what looks good." Then I'm never disappointed.

Any of the aforementioned places should do you well.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Reikers Maket at Oxford and Rhawn in the NE has some great meat for grilling. Man, I have to get there again soon.

Scoats,

If you are after some of Reikers' weiners and bratwursts, the new DiBruno's store on Chestnut carries a selection of these.

Happy Grilling!

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy