• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Road Trip III... Clubber Langs Revenge I-90

Daniel

The "Italian Market" area in Pittsburgh is called the Strip. I'm hoping that the reason you didn't hit Primanti Brothers, a big part of the Strip legend, is that you had been there before. They are famous for their sandwichs where fries go inside rather than on the side.

If not it's time for another road trip, even if just to Pittsburgh.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Daniel,

just wanted to let you know this is currently my favorite thread! :biggrin:

Those pictures are incredible, now this is REAL FOOD!

I am so glad you read it.. There were no fancy garnishes on these plates.. Just straight forward great food.

The "Italian Market" area in Pittsburgh is called the Strip.  I'm hoping that the reason you didn't hit Primanti Brothers, a big part of the Strip legend, is that you had been there before.  They are famous for their sandwichs where fries go inside rather than on the side.

Ahh geeze.. I walked in there and wasnt too impressed.. I looked at the grill and just saw pre-sliced meats sitting in a cooler by the grill.. They were like pushing corned beef.. I passed the place up.. I know for next time.,.

Wow, it's over already?

A couple of questions:

(1) How did you pick the places you hit, or rather, how many of them did you know something about before you went in, and how?

(2) Can you imagine spending more time in some of the places you particularly liked (like Wisconsin) on another trip?

I'm already looking forward to reading your reports on Road Trip IV!

Michael aka "Pan"

The "Italian Market" area in Pittsburgh is called the Strip.  I'm hoping that the reason you didn't hit Primanti Brothers, a big part of the Strip legend, is that you had been there before.  They are famous for their sandwichs where fries go inside rather than on the side.

Ahh geeze.. I walked in there and wasnt too impressed.. I looked at the grill and just saw pre-sliced meats sitting in a cooler by the grill.. They were like pushing corned beef.. I passed the place up.. I know for next time.,.

For the ultimate of Fry loaded sandwhiches you need to hit Daffy's Deli in Newark, DE. I reccomend 'Da Bomb' which included buffalo style chicken fingers, mozerella sticks, french fries, hot peppers, hot sauce, blue cheese dressing, and melted cheese on top. Wow, all that sandwhich and not a vegetable to be seen (unless you count the hot peppers, which I don't, they are more a neccessity of life than a vegetable).

Hey, if one of your road trips ever brings you through DE look me up, I have to salute someone like you with a couple rounds of drinks.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Wow, it's over already?

A couple of questions:

(1) How did you pick the places you hit, or rather, how many of them did you know something about before you went in, and how?

(2) Can you imagine spending more time in some of the places you particularly liked (like Wisconsin) on another trip?

I'm already looking forward to reading your reports on Road Trip IV!

1)We picked the places we hit through a combination of Road Food Website, friends, Chowhound, Egullet, City Search and just comming upon a place. The Indian Taco Place,The Indian Reservation Elk Burger, Walkers, Real Chili, State Street Brats, Sir Scotts Oasis, PA Macaroni Co, Jimmy's,Enrico Biscotti, Beto's 24 Hour Taco, Culvers Butter Burger, Nancy Pasty, Johns, Grumpy Jacks BBQ, and Bobs Family Dining were all not planned.. So the majority of the places we ate at were not planned.. Lems and Leons in Chicago, IL Pizzaioli were from Egullet.. Leons and Kopps ice cream was from RoadFood, as well as Waldorf A Story and Matts.. We start out on these trips with a desire to learn about different regions which includes there food.. So we refuse to eat at any non local chains..

2)Just in terms of eating Wisco despite there horrible drivers :biggrin: , Milwaukee seemed like an amazing place.. RoadFood had suggested German Places that looked awesome, butter burger places, a couple of good deli's, and of course re-hit and find new places.. So did Madison with lots of ethnic cuisine and just the fact that they service college kids means there will some good cheap eats.. Chicago I am leaving for in a couple of days so I know I am going to hit some awesome places there everytime i go.. I am looking forward to Alinea this trip..Salt Lake City we didnt have the time to give a fair chance.. My cousin is distraught I didnt try this burger place that puts pastrami on top of a burger.. Also we were going to go to the Pink Iguanna? i think, but we arrived so late.. So Salt Lake we need to revisit.. Minn We were too south on, so we didnt have the chance to see any of the lakes or visit any of the cities.. I would love to go back there.. But I think i will be in northern Minn in August on my next trip.. South Dakota I reall think Grumpy Jack has a vision in terms of BBQ and I hope he can reach it..Montanna I wish I had more time there.. There is a place is Butte that had a porkchop sandwich I wanted to eat but didnt have the strength.. And also would love to see more steakhouses like the one I went to Sir Scott Oasis..

2a) But in terms of just visiting the states to hang out, I would happily return to any of the places. I really fell in love with Montanna, its just so pretty.. Like i said in my post, I be happy anywhere in America and would love to go back to any place I have visited here.. Its all so different but remarkable homey at the same time..

Edited by Daniel (log)

For the ultimate of Fry loaded sandwhiches you need to hit Daffy's Deli in Newark, DE. I reccomend 'Da Bomb' which included buffalo style chicken fingers, mozerella sticks, french fries, hot peppers, hot sauce, blue cheese dressing, and melted cheese on top. Wow, all that sandwhich and not a vegetable to be seen (unless you count the hot peppers, which I don't, they are more a neccessity of life than a vegetable).

Hey, if one of your road trips ever brings you through DE look me up, I have to salute someone like you with a couple rounds of drinks.

Awesome, Daniel! Thanks for sharing. Reminds me of the jaunts I'd take during grad school in Nebraska...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." -- Mark Twain

Love it!! Love it!!! And you're getting quite adept at turns of phrase and VERY interesting anecdotes (lighten that FOOT, young man!).

Your pictures are just wonderful, and you've captured the spirit and the adventure of any trip/quest/outing to the best of its parts. Thanks for the vicarious ride!!

And don't get too busy---I recommended you to the man who published the "Ten Foods That Make America Great" article, to ride along and take HIS pictures on his quest for BBQ. See today's thread.

Ahhhhh-----to be so young. And unfillupable.

rachel

Thanks Josh and Rachel for your kind words.. Rachel, your compliments alone are worth writing my trips up.. Thanks again.. And look for my road trip part IV.. I will be leaving in MidAugust.. Trying to go for 11 days and hopefully going to have a winnebego.... That is if i can rent one at a good price..

Am some what new to egullet but this has to be one of the stand out threads I've read. It made me want more. Sign of any good work. Nice job!!! It seems to have been a great trip.

Thanks for the road trip reports, we can all live and eat vicariously though you folks. I need to take my camera with me on some of my Maryland area food jaunts.

Hey Nullo, where's Daffy's deli in Newark? When I was growing up there (70s) there was a Daffy deli on Cleveland avenue that made very good subs. Of course, there was also Mr. Pizza and Sam's on Academy street (both gone now) just off Main St. where all the underage college kids (and some intrepid high schoolers) could drink beer without being hassled as long as they behaved. Had to be an honest 20 to get in Deer Park or Stone Balloon.

Hard to get past Capriotti's and Casapulla's in Glasgow, though.

Thanks for the road trip reports, we can all live and eat vicariously though you folks.  I need to take my camera with me on some of my Maryland area food jaunts.

Hey Nullo, where's Daffy's deli in Newark?  When I was growing up there (70s) there was a Daffy deli on Cleveland avenue that made very good subs.  Of course, there was also Mr. Pizza and Sam's on Academy street (both gone now) just off Main St. where all the underage college kids (and some intrepid high schoolers) could drink beer without being hassled as long as they behaved.  Had to be an honest 20 to get in Deer Park or Stone Balloon.

Hard to get past Capriotti's and Casapulla's in Glasgow, though.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Cleveland Subs and Steaks on Cleveland Ave? As far as I know Daffy's has always been in the Elkton Rd location (across from what is now Star of India, right at the Main. St. terminus of Elkton Rd, next to what used to be the marching band practice field and what still is the Amy E. DuPont Music Building). It certainly looks like it has been there since the 70s.

Then again, I think Taso (the Greek guy who owns the place) has always done so, so, if you remember Taso, you probably are thinking the right place.

I've always been a bit dissapointed with Cassapulla's except for their Italian sub, their Italian is the best I have ever had.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide