• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

England Trip Report

"So many gone" often comes to mind when I'm reading old threads.

2011's not really that long ago when you're not a young person anymore. You've given me plenty of ideas for weekend breaks, and made me think again about my disdain for triangle pack sandwiches, which can often be perfectly fine for the necessity.

On the matter of pie lids, I think your report should just remind us that if it tastes good, it tastes good-sometimes we (I) can overthink things.

I really need to eat out more!

• Like 2

I think what struck me from @Kim Shook's comment was how a place and its food can grab you as if you were born to it. It s what Corsica did for me at a young age. Infuenced my food life to the presennt even if I never make it back to the Island. Can I please have a shepherd come to the door selling the brocciu from his sheep milk still draining in a woven basket - mashed with raw sugar or local honey spread on good bread with coffee for morning meal?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 5/1/2022 at 12:42 AM, heidih said:

I think what struck me from @Kim Shook's comment was how a place and its food can grab you as if you were born to it. It s what Corsica did for me at a young age. Infuenced my food life to the presennt even if I never make it back to the Island. Can I please have a shepherd come to the door selling the brocciu from his sheep milk still draining in a woven basket - mashed with raw sugar or local honey spread on good bread with coffee for morning meal?

For us it has been the Loire region of France, coupled with Roux Brothers BBC cookery course of the 1980s, that have moulded our food preferences.  Annoyed once with a French couple visiting the university where I was working and claiming that there was no good food to be had in England, we invited them for dinner.  At the end of the meal I asked if they had changed their views on English cuisine?  No, was the response, you have made us a French meal.  I gave up. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DianaB said:

For us it has been the Loire region of France, coupled with Roux Brothers BBC cookery course of the 1980s, that have moulded our food preferences.  Annoyed once with a French couple visiting the university where I was working and claiming that there was no good food to be had in England, we invited them for dinner.  At the end of the meal I asked if they had changed their views on English cuisine?  No, was the response, you have made us a French meal.  I gave up. 

I am addicted to a youtube channel of a German couple that live in the Chester area and produce weekly shows about their travels in the UK and their adventures decorating their Victorian terrace home.  On one of their Q&A's they expressed their frustrations about when they go back to Germany and people go on and on about how awful British food is.  She said she always asks if they've ever actually HAD British food and the answer is almost always "no".  I can say that we never had a bad meal the entire trip.  Even eating in a convenience store!  LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1