• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montalcino Dinner at Aureole

cabrales

I am not knowledgeable about Montalcino wines, but thought other members might be interested in a dinner to be hosted by Aureole on June 18, 2002 (beginning possibly as early as 5:30 pm; members should confirm timing and other details).

Zachy's "Wines of Montalcino Dinner"

Chespeake Crab with Tiny Asparagus, bouillabaisse gelee, with Vermentino Guado al Tasso Antinori 2001

Seared Artic Char, "Rosso" braised artichokes, with Tosso di Montalcino Ciacci Piccolomini 1999 and Rosso di Montalcino Costanti 1999

Thyme Basted Squab with Port Glazed Foie Gras, caramelised apricot, with Brunello di Montalcino Pertimali 1997 and Brunello di Montalcino Maccioche 1997

Dijon Crusted Lamb Rack, tender lamb shoulder and Oregon morels, with Brunello di Montalcino Poggio Antico 1997 and Brunello di Montalcino Riserva Poggio Antico 1990

Cheese Flavors of Italy, with Brunello di Montalcino Valdicava 1997 and Brunello di Montalcino La Magia 1997

Warmed Roasted Peach and Black Cherry Strudel, Sauterne sorbet, with Sol Alto Le Pupille 1999

The price appears a bit high at $195/person, but I would not be able to assess the prices normally associcated with Montalcino wine. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

1997 is a fabulous year for Brunello.  The wines must came over.  The only one on this list that I tasted was the Valdicava which was delightful.  I bought some Pertamali based on reviews.  

The Poggio Antico Brunello 1990 should be very nice.  The Rossos should be pleasant drinkers but not of the same level of the Brunello's.  But it seems like there is enough wine, so you can drink light till the Brunellos get served.

beachfan

It is a crime to drink the 97 brunellos now.  I understand the intent to sample the new releases to see if one is interested in buying, but I would rather have a dinner where mature brunellos are paired with food.  However, I would recommend to anyone here to purchase some 97 brunello.  It is an exquisite vintage.  The advantage of such a tremendous vintage is that even the lesser known and less expensive producers turn out great wine.  The smart strategy is to bypass all the well known lables with the Wine Spectator shelf talker exclaiming "99 points!" that are selling for upwards of $100, and look for some brunellos under $50 per bottle.  In ten years you will be patting yourself on the back when you open one of these treasures.

As an aside, the Vermentino from Antinori's Guado al Tasso served with the first course of crab is an amazing white wine.  Well worth its $19 price tag.

I have a '93 Brunello (Riserva) at home.  Should I drink it now?  Is it at its best?

There's no one time that a wine is at it's peak.  A lot depends on storage as well as individual taste.

I've had a couple of my 1993's and are holding the rest a little longer.

beachfan

I'm gonna open and drink that particular '93 Brunello Riserva on Sunday - bringing it to Kebab Cafe (Ali's making us what he calls his "tongue and cheek" meal - lamb tongue, cheeks, brains)...and kibbeh nayeh appetizer (his version of middle eastern steak tartare).  I'll report back.

The current Wine Spectator has an article "Blockbuster 1997 Brunellos" and Italian Wine Merchants' newsletter is touting the same. If anyone wants a copy of the IWM newsletter detailing their Brunellos and prices, PM me and I'll forward it over.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the Aureole/Brunello di Montalcino dinner next Tuesday. The reservation is for 2, at 8:45pm.  If anybody would like the reservation, let me know by Friday.

There's detailed information about it someplace or another on here, posted by Cabrales.  It's $195 per person.

Members should note that the wine tasting would begin earlier than 8:45 pm. When I asked the restaurant a few weeks ago, 5:30 pm was a possible indicated time for the tasting. Any members interested in taking up Nina's reservation might want to check on timing, etc.   :wink:

Doesn't quite work like that.  It's not a tasting with one seating, or even two.  One makes a regular reservation at Aureole - 8:45 was the only time left when I made the reservation.  5:30 just happens to be the earliest dinner reservation they take.

I'm gonna open and drink that particular '93 Brunello Riserva on Sunday .  I'll report back.

How was it?

I can't pretend to be in your league as an expert taster (far from),  but it was quite good.  Pretty intense.  It was premature to drink it, but nevertheless, sufficiently complex, and very satisfying.  Was perfect with the strong flavors we ate - sheeps head meat, etc.  I'd like to try another '93 in a couple of years.

I intend to buy some of this '97 Brunello madness, and try to control myself and leave it a good long while.

Meanwhile, people are starting to murmur about '99 Brunellos...any thoughts?

I'm gonna open and drink that particular '93 Brunello Riserva on Sunday .  I'll report back.

How was it?

I can't pretend to be in your league as an expert taster (far from),  but it was quite good.  Pretty intense.  It was premature to drink it, but nevertheless, sufficiently complex, and very satisfying.  Was perfect with the strong flavors we ate - sheeps head meat, etc.  I'd like to try another '93 in a couple of years.

I intend to buy some of this '97 Brunello madness, and try to control myself and leave it a good long while.

Meanwhile, people are starting to murmur about '99 Brunellos...any thoughts?

Which one was it?

beachfan

That is sad.  I asked my wife if she would want to attend that and she had agreed.

So now we have to go somewhere else and pay for it.

Are you an Indian giver?  

That was some way of teasing people.  Cute. Very cute!

Actually, not cute.  It sucks!

Did you want us to know you had money to attend, but were not, and so wanted to simply make a statement?

Or did you really want to be generous and share your tickets with people even for a moment?

You had me fooled as being a Medici last night.  I was dreaming.

Oooh.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM