• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Containment

jsolomon

From here the Lincoln Journal Star it appears the people have spoken on how they prefer their beer to be bottled.

Which do you prefer? Bottle? Keg? Can? Barrel?

Personally, I enjoy a good brown glass returnable, but I would like to know other people's thoughts (and advertise a story about a good guy and my old boss)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Cool! I wish him well with that and hope it's successful. If it tastes good, that's what's important.

Just because it's the way good beer comes, I like beer poured out of a bottle (or the tap at a brewpub :smile: ), and preferably into a wine glass.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I have absolutely no problem with cans. In fact, I can think of a number of beers that I would prefer to see in cans (Jever, Pilsner Urquell, etc.) and would buy more of if that were the case.

Cheers to places like Spiker Ales who are willing to take chances like that!

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I've been drinking Sam's product for years, and I have to admit, it hasn't suffered any quality problems with the switch.

Which reminds me, I told Yellow Truffle I'd send him some of Sam's stuff. I haven't forgotten, I'm just a worthless tool!

But, I'll open an invitation to all eGers. I'll happily bring some to share if I know I'm heading to your area!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Nice article - I wish him well.

Personally I prefer my beer "on tap" or canned, for all the reasons stated in the article PLUS cans cool down faster when placed in the fridge/ice chest.

I'm drinking a can of Pilsner Urquell while typing this post.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Neat to see somebody trying to fight the meme about canned beer being bad beer. In PA, Yuengling does cans and they're indistinguishable from the bottled product (though less expensive). Cans have some things going for them: durability, chillability, light blocking... I hope more breweries follow this lead. Much easier to bring a 6pack of cans along than a 6pack of bottles.

Canning beer certainly got a lift when Guinness started with their pub draught cans a long while ago. Guinness pub draft is a fine product.

That said, the beers I drink most are my own homebrew, which only comes in bottles because that is all I put it into.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I'm happy to see the case made for canned beer, and would be happy to see more microbrews switch over, for all the reasons given in the thread, plus another: cans are much easier to clean up and dispose of. Cleaning up after a party where people have been drinking from bottles is a way bigger hassle than cleaning up cans.

That said, I don't really like drinking out of cans. Something about putting cold metal to my lips just creeps me out; for the same reason, I don't like drinking out of metal cups. So when I buy canned drinks, I usually pour them into a glass.

I'm drinking a can of Pilsner Urquell while typing this post.

D'oh- now all they gotta do is make sure it is available by me...

And Andrew- please don't tell me that you drink beer from the bottle. I know people in the Philadelphia area who are perfectly capable of laying the smackdown on you the next time you try it :cool:

aka Michael

And Andrew- please don't tell me that you drink beer from the bottle. I know people in the Philadelphia area who are perfectly capable of laying the smackdown on you the next time you try it 

Usually I prefer to drink directly from the keg, like the sweet sweet mother's nipple that it is.

And Andrew- please don't tell me that you drink beer from the bottle. I know people in the Philadelphia area who are perfectly capable of laying the smackdown on you the next time you try it 

Usually I prefer to drink directly from the keg, like the sweet sweet mother's nipple that it is.

Now we're talking...

aka Michael

The only thing I have against cans are those plastic holders.

If they can put them in cardboard boxes, great.

Though, like someone else up thread, I will drink out of a bottle; but, not out of a can.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

The only thing I have against cans are those plastic holders.

If they can put them in cardboard boxes, great.

Though, like someone else up thread, I will drink out of a bottle; but, not out of a can.

Ditto!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.