• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Containers for Chocolate Ingredients

Jim D.

I have purchased some nut praline pastes (pecan, almond) and was required to buy them in 5kg buckets.  Since my chocolate production is moderate, I need to freeze some of these items and so am looking for (as-airtight-as-possible) containers.  I was planning to use some Rubbermaid containers that have lids with four plastic flaps that lock the lid in place, and they have always seemed good.  But yesterday I opened a container with a batch of caramel, and there were drops of moisture on the inside of the lid.  With caramel, a little water is not an issue, but with the pastes, it can be a problem (since ordinarily I use the pastes to make gianduja and I want them to be as free of water as possible).

I also considered vacuum sealing as a better option, but my vacuum sealer (Weston is the brand) is not a chamber vac, so I don't think the chances of getting the paste into a bag and keeping the paste from being sucked into the sealer are good.  I suppose "pre-freezing" the bags of paste, then vacuuming them would work, but what a mess!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

I have purchased some nut praline pastes (pecan, almond) and was required to buy them in 5kg buckets.  Since my chocolate production is moderate, I need to freeze some of these items and so am looking for (as-airtight-as-possible) containers.  I was planning to use some Rubbermaid containers that have lids with four plastic flaps that lock the lid in place, and they have always seemed good.  But yesterday I opened a container with a batch of caramel, and there were drops of moisture on the inside of the lid.  With caramel, a little water is not an issue, but with the pastes, it can be a problem (since ordinarily I use the pastes to make gianduja and I want them to be as free of water as possible).

I also considered vacuum sealing as a better option, but my vacuum sealer (Weston is the brand) is not a chamber vac, so I don't think the chances of getting the paste into a bag and keeping the paste from being sucked into the sealer are good.  I suppose "pre-freezing" the bags of paste, then vacuuming them would work, but what a mess!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I've put them in my chamber vac before sealing but as you say that isn't an option - maybe use one of the clips for sous vide bags instead? Have you tried sealing some paste in the Weston and stopping it quickly if it looks like it will get sucked in?

12 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I've put them in my chamber vac before sealing but as you say that isn't an option - maybe use one of the clips for sous vide bags instead? Have you tried sealing some paste in the Weston and stopping it quickly if it looks like it will get sucked in?

I'll look into the sous vide clips.  The Weston is a powerful vacuum sealer, but it isn't very good at allowing interruptions of the vacuuming process, certainly there is no precision possible, and I am concerned about ruining the inner parts.  From what I've read, the much less expensive FoodSavers might be better.

26 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

If there is no water in the nut paste to begin with, would this condensation still happen?  I’d say cover the surface directly with plastic wrap to prevent droplets falling in after thawing. 

Good idea.  I'll try a bit and see what happens.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...