• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anniversary Dinner

Allura

Ok, obviously, I like my food - I'm here, right? :biggrin: However, DH is more of a meat & potatoes type, and we don't have a large budget, so we rarely go out to anything beyond a diner or a chain restaurant. But, our 5th anniversary is coming up soon, and I'm determined to go out Someplace Nice. I've been going through posts and have a few possibilities, but was hoping you nice folks could help me narrow it down a bit further. We don't drink, although I MIGHT have a single glass of wine - meds make this unlikely, though. DH drinks silly sweet mixed drinks. So, obviously, wine list isn't really a criteria. I'm fully aware of the prices of the places I'm looking at, so that's mostly not an issue. I'd rather stay in NJ, then go into NYC. I live in Scotch Plains, so closer is better, but I'm not really adverse to traveling a bit. We'll either be going a Sunday or a Tuesday. Possibilities:

American Grill

Fascino

Nicholas

Rat's

Stage House

Any gems I've missed? I suspect there's a bit of a range in between places on this list. I sorta like the idea of a tasting menu, but I'd rather have choices on a multi course menu. I've also been thinking about one of the fancier brunches, but we're not really morning people, so I don't know if that's practical (DH works night shift).

Thanks for any advice!

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

You've picked some great restaurants. If you go to Rat's be sure to arrive about an hour or more before your reservation so you can walk through the sculpture garden. You may also want to check out the brunch at The Hilton Short Hills which is very elegant.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

You've picked some great restaurants. If you go to Rat's be sure to arrive about an hour or more before your reservation so you can walk through the sculpture garden.  You may also want to check out the brunch at The Hilton Short Hills which is very elegant.

I keep forgetting about the Hilton Short Hills.

I also had a friend suggest the Frog & the Peach, which looks like it has an interesting menu. However, I haven't seen a lot of discussion about it here.

Ack! More choices! What a terrible dilemma. :biggrin: I have GOT to get my husband to look at menus with me and make comments.

Joanna G. Hurley

So my husband narrowed it down to three restaurants:

American Fare

Rat's

Stagehouse

I'm leaning towards Rat's since I have friends who've been there & loved it, and I'd like to see the garden anyway. But I'll always take advice. :)

Joanna G. Hurley

Rat's can be very special for an anniversary, because it is more than just a "pull up to the valet" kind of experience, and the design of the restauarant, surrounded by the sculpture, can really make a memorable day.

Stage House Inn is very good, and I like the atmosphere, but its not as "special", IMO. I haven't been to the Fand P in a while, I have never liked the layout, location or decor, but thats subjective, and its been too long to fairly comment on the food.

While I agree the Ryland Inn is a very good ( no longer great ) restaurant, I'm wondering Bryan if you have been ot the other restaurants on the list..how would you compare RI to Nicholas, or SHI, or Rat's?

Can I just say that, esp having worked in the industry, I find the Ryland Inn's "pharmaceutical dinner menu" highly amusing? Although my friend just IMd me to say they also took down the directions for arriving by private helicopter.....

Joanna G. Hurley

Allura,

You'd probably get better service and quality food on a Tuesday instead of Sunday. Could make the evening more enjoyable to have the right kind of service and attention.

Congratulations on your 5 years! Enjoy your evening...you'll have to tell us where you went and what you ordered!

Genny

While I agree the Ryland Inn is a very good ( no longer great ) restaurant, I'm wondering Bryan if you have been ot the other restaurants on the list..how would you compare RI to Nicholas, or SHI, or Rat's?

I've been to the Ryland Inn and Stage House Inn multiple times. Although Stage House is certainly enjoyable, I find that Ryland Inn blows it out of the water. I will be going to Nicholas this summer at some point. I have not been to Rat's, however, and do not know much about it.

Wow...some really great suggestions here!! RN is fabulous, but it is probably about an hour from you. I always enjoyed Rat's, but there is a new chef in town. Don't know anything about him or his food. Regardless, the grounds are beautiful. The Ryland is a staple, although I've heard some not so great reviews lately. The food at Stage House is incredible, but I would agree that it doesn't have much of a 'special' ambiance. Haven't been to the Frog & the Peach in about 4 years & I don't know anything about the other places. There are a few other places that are close to you that you may want to consider, such as Serenade, The Bernards Inn & Le Petit Chateau. The Bernards Inn also has quaint hotel rooms so you could make a night of it & have your brunch too. Good luck & Happy Anniversary!!

We'll either be going a Sunday or a Tuesday. Possibilities:

American Grill

Fascino

Nicholas

Rat's

Stage House

Any gems I've missed? I suspect there's a bit of a range in between places on this list. I sorta like the idea of a tasting menu, but I'd rather have choices on a multi course menu. I've also been thinking about one of the fancier brunches, but we're not really morning people, so I don't know if that's practical (DH works night shift).

Thanks for any advice!

To be honest with you, I'd go to Stage House because of it's proximety. 22 West might not be a bad idea either. How about NYC? You're only 30 minutes away and being you don't really drink, driving won't be a problem.

I'd be honored if you wanted us to cook your 5th anniversary celebration but we're most likely 45 minutes from you.

Whatever your choice I wish you a wonderful celebration.

22 West might not be a bad idea either.

We've had dinner at 22 West. While I thought the food was quite good, it is not anywhere in the same league as Nicholas or other restaurants with much superior cuisine. When it comes to ambiance, it is a huge space -- a bar area and two dining rooms -- with pleasant decor. We were there on a Monday when not many tables were occupied, so it was quiet; however, considering the airplane-hangar-size of the place, it didn't surprise me to learn that when it's full, the noise level is very high. Overall, I wouldn't recommend 22 West for a special anniversary celebration.

I would throw into the mix Chez Catherine, in Westfield. We had two absolutely stellar meals there within the past couple of months. The French cuisine served there is fabulous. Service is perfection personified because owner Didier Jouvenal oversees the dining room, making certain that diners are comfortable and completely satisfied. The small main dining room (about 30 seats) has lovely decor and romantic ambiance. One can either dress casually or dress up a bit. In every way, I think it's the perfect place to celebrate an anniversary.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Rat's turned out to be booked on Tuesday. I guess I waited too long. I'll avoid the obvious pun here.....(Rat's! :raz:)

Anyway, we decided on the Stage House. I know it's a bit more casual then some of the other options, but it's a place I've wanted to try anyway. Also, DH isn't sure he wants to drive that far after all, esp since we're planning to go to the Bronx Zoo the day before (yes, we're silly :biggrin: ), so this will be a more quiet day.

OTOH, I have a lovely list of ideas for my birthday, which is coming up at the end of July... :biggrin:

Joanna G. Hurley