• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchens in the "Movies"

chefworks91

Hi all, hope everyone is doing well. I just finished watching a movie that was recommended to me by a friend and it turned out to be quite good. It was called " Dinner Rush". It had an interesting look at restaurants and the cast of characters that work in their kitchens.

I was wondering if any of you had seen or know of any other movies that may show us more about the career paths most of us have chosen. Thanks

Edited by chefworks91 (log)

Not sure what any of this has to do with Montreal, Quebec and/or Eastern Canada, but Big Night is one of the two best resto flicks I know (haven't seen Dinner Rush). The other is the epic quest for the perfect noodle soup, Tampopo, with its sweet zenny zaniness that only a foodie can fully appreciate (avoid the French dubbed version however; it completely blows one of the funniest scenes).

Ah cool, I'll definitely have to check some of those out -- I'm a huge fan of Tampopo; utter brilliance. Chocolat was also very good.

Now, how about Delicatessen? Post-apocalyptic cannibalism -- but done tastefully, in a French gourmet kinda style, like.

Last night I checked out ""Garlic is as Good as Ten Mothers"" from the McGill library, it's a blast. Made in 1980 by FLOWER FILMS (I personally love a name like that), it features Alice Waters and her Garlic celebration menu, and has a bunch of other cooks from around San Francisco and so on, making food with garlic. It's really quite funny, a big pro-garlic propaganda film. They have some funny songs about garlic in the film, too. I like IMDB.com's entry, the cast reads things like "Harrod Blank .... Youth Saved from Dysentary" and "Mary T. Brown .... Cook Who Uses Garlic Salt"

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

How about The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover? I don't know if you'll want to eat afterwards, it's a little bizzare. It's somewhat like a Kitchen in Hell and satan is the chef. But it's beautiful to look at and the music is great.

Then there is The Scent of Green Papaya, a Vietnamese treat. They do prepare meals, but not often. When they do, it's really interesting

And last but enjoyable is Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?, a late 1970's comedy in Paris! Mmmmm. It has absolutely gorgeous banquet dishes.

Emma Peel

OK, forum host speaking here:

This board is ONLY for Montreal related topics. Please DO NOT post anything in this section of the site that does not relate DIRECTLY to Montreal, Quebec of Eastern Canada. Got it?

This topic belongs in General Food Topics.

Thanks

OK, forum host speaking here:

This board is ONLY for Montreal related topics. Please DO NOT post anything in this section of the site that does not relate DIRECTLY to Montreal, Quebec of Eastern Canada. Got it?

This topic belongs in General Food Topics.

Thanks

What if it relates to finding video stores in the greater Montreal area that carry these food-related movies?

What if it relates to finding video stores in the greater Montreal area that carry these food-related movies?

Sounds directly Montreal-related to me...

chefworks91, Boîte noire has it on DVD and English and dubbed French videocassettes. Phos has it on videocassette only. If you're looking to buy, Metro Video doesn't stock it but can special order it. You can also buy it though amazon.ca.

Also, Zip.ca, the Canadian Netflix clone has almost of all these in stock. And if they don't have a movie, they'll order it for you and rent it to you. In case you're not familiar with the service, it's a DVD rental service by mail for a flat monthly fee.

Look, the original question was NOT Montreal related. It morphed into that but the original post should -- as francois said -- be open to a wider audience (actually, I think this exact subject has already been discussed elsewhere).

BTW, there have been several complaints about these off-topic posts, so could we please stay local.

Thanks.

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers here. I'm sorry people are getting so annoyed with this post. I realize now it was a mistake and I will be more careful, but my two cents is that, if the post doesn't interest you then why must people feel the need to stick there nose into something and " stir the pot " for no reason. If it doesn't intersest you, move on.

Again I apologize and I will be more careful.