• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Online Paris Food resources

John Talbott

I was reminded this morning, when I found out about a new website newsletter Parismarais, dealing exclusively with the Marais, that there are a couple of online resources I use for the Digest that are in English and may be of use to others.

There’s Karen Fawcett’s Bonjour Paris which has regular restaurant reviews by Margaret Kemp. You can get the highlights at her website but the full text only comes with a premium subscription.

Then there’s Adrian Leed’s ParlerParis, where twice a week, she talks of things Parisian. Of interest to our members is the fact that she calculates that she eats out over 200 times a year at an average of $25 (that’s dollars, with tip and tax) a person, a meal. You can log on via her website.

In addition, a print publication, Mark Eversman’s Paris Notes which has online access for subscribers, has monthly restaurant reviews by Rosa Jackson.

Finally, there’s David Applefield’s My Mercredi which seems to have been in hibernation for 6 months. He still contributes to the FT weekend edition, so I don’t know what’s up. Normally he can be found here.

I wonder if there are other online resources you all find useful and if so, I encourage you to add them here.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

John: I would have to agree about http://www.bonjourparis.com

Margaret Kemp is a reviewer who really knows her food and is a graduate of the Cordon Bleu. In addition, she knows the Paris restaurant scene inside and out which is a feat considering the roving chef scene. It's a question of having your finger on the pulse and I applaud Ms. Kemp for her contacts and reviews.

There’s Karen Fawcett’s Bonjour Paris which has regular restaurant reviews by Margaret Kemp.  You can get the highlights at her website but the full text only comes with a premium subscription.
It's about to have me as well, though that may not necessarily be a recommendation. :biggrin:
In addition, a print publication, Mark Eversman’s Paris Notes which has online access for subscribers, has monthly restaurant reviews by Rosa Jackson.
She's the editor of the Time Out Paris Eating and Drinking, which I've often found useful, though it doesn't come out as often as it should.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

She's the editor of the Time Out Paris Eating and Drinking, which I've often found useful, though it doesn't come out as often as it should.

For everyone's information, Time Out Paris has apparently had a big cut back in its budget which began last summer when it pulled out of providing the English section in the back of Pariscope. I've noticed since then that their website offers much less regarding restaurants. Their annual edition may hold up, but for some reason, their other ventures in Paris did not perform as well as the NY and London ones.

John Talbott

I was reminded this morning, when I found out about a new website newsletter Parismarais, dealing exclusively with the Marais, that there are a couple of online resources I use for the Digest that are in English and may be of  use to others.

There’s Karen Fawcett’s Bonjour Paris which has regular restaurant reviews by Margaret Kemp.  You can get the highlights at her website but the full text only comes with a premium subscription.

Then there’s Adrian Leed’s ParlerParis, where twice a week, she talks of things Parisian.  Of interest to our members is the fact that she calculates that she eats out over 200 times a year at an average of $25 (that’s dollars, with tip and tax) a person, a meal.  You can log on via her website.

Finally, there’s David Applefield’s My Mercredi which seems to have been in  hibernation for 6 months.  He still contributes to the FT weekend edition, so I don’t know what’s up.  Normally he can be found here.

I wonder if there are other online resources you all find useful and if so, I encourage you to add them here.

There's this site. However, it links to other articles.

http://www.dininginfrance.com/articles_abo...aris_dining.htm

The content is not original -- as is the case on http://www.bonjourparis.com and http://www.ParisNotes.com

Edited by JVB (log)

Great site - JVB! That it is not original content is not important. That it brings together some of the best writing in the English language on Paris and its food is. I will bookmark this site and find it very useful in the coming months along with this Board, of course!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Then there's Adrian Leed’s ParlerParis, where twice a week, she talks of things Parisian.  Of interest to our members is the fact that she calculates that she eats out over 200 times a year at an average of $25 (that's dollars, with tip and tax) a person, a meal. 

John T.: I have a question. Do you think it's

1 - possible to eat out 200 times a year? and

2 - spend only an average of $25 per meal with the dollar/Euro conversion? Perhaps she doesn't drink water or wine!

For everyone's information, Time Out Paris has apparently had a big cut back in its budget which began last summer when it pulled out of providing the English section in the back of Pariscope.  I've noticed since then that their website offers much less regarding restaurants.  Their annual edition may hold up, but for some reason, their other ventures in Paris did not perform as well as the NY and London ones.

That's very bad news. Their Paris-based publications have often been distinguished, such as their Paris Walks, which called on the expertise of a remarkable stable of talents and authorities. I wonder where they went wrong -- or was there not enough demand for the best that they were capable of?

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Gee John:

Delighted I could add something to the board.

I've met the owner of the site and he's a class act!

Two clicks and I was reading a charming article, Affordable Paris by Jane Sigel from the April 2005 issue of Food & Wine. Talk about immediate gratification, albeit accompanied by the frustration of not knowing when I will next visit Paris. It is an article that makes you jealous of those who live there and are, as they say, branchée. Sigal wrote one of the more charming cookbooks on French provincial cooking some ten years ago. Backroad Bistros, Farmhouse Fare, A french country cookbook.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Then there's Adrian Leed’s ParlerParis, where twice a week, she talks of things Parisian.  Of interest to our members is the fact that she calculates that she eats out over 200 times a year at an average of $25 (that's dollars, with tip and tax) a person, a meal. 

John T.: I have a question. Do you think it's

1 - possible to eat out 200 times a year? and

2 - spend only an average of $25 per meal with the dollar/Euro conversion? Perhaps she doesn't drink water or wine!

Answers:

1. Sure, if you eat lunch out every day you're in Paris (which actually I do, as well, I must guiltily admit).

2. Ah, here she says it's because she often has only the plat du jour, which at some places is 11 or 12 E, or even if it's 15E, with a glass of wine at 4-5 E = $22-26. That I don't do. And I suspect she has Chateau Delanoe rather than bottled water.

I don't know her, so I've got to accept what she says on faith, but I guess it's possible, but I'd sure have trouble sticking to such a regimen, especially once I saw the foie gras special.

Edited by John Talbott for spelling error.

John Talbott

Chateau Delanoe

That's not an expression I've heard before. Does that refer to the man who saw too much rainwater and lived to tell about it? Here in NY, we often refer to tap water by the name of the current mayor. Eau de Bloomberg has replace eau de Giuliani.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

That's not an expression I've heard before.

Some time ago it used to be château-chirac (sounds really good, could be a real wine). Then it became château-tiberi (still makes it, soundwise) and now it's château-delanoë, quite poetical but somewhat lacking in oenologic likelihood.

Anyone regnante, it may also be château-la-pompe.

Chateau Delanoe

That's not an expression I've heard before. Does that refer to the man who saw too much rainwater and lived to tell about it? Here in NY, we often refer to tap water by the name of the current mayor. Eau de Bloomberg has replace eau de Giuliani.

Yes, indeed, Bertrand Delanoe, (the new eGullet policy is to eschew accents (e.g., Delanoë)), is the current Mayor; anyway, "eau de..." sounds too much like a cologne or digestif.

John Talbott

Does that refer to the man who saw too much rainwater and lived to tell about it?

Who may that be? :huh:

Noé, but my relative illiteracy in the French language should probably have precluded me from suggesting that delanoe might somehow be a reference to the man who artfully survived 40 days and nights of free water.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

• 7 months later...

I think Bonjour Paris is crap.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog