• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marcello's pizza at half the price?

maxmillan

This would explain why when my friend went the last couple of times and asked for linguini - he was told they were out. How one runs out of linguini at an Italian pasta joint was a mystery - until now...

I am surprised that they are shutting down shop. The place was always reasonably full of people whenever I went. Maybe the pizza take out was not as brisk as they hoped. Too bad, it may not have been destination dining - but it was a great neighbourhood joint.

Keith, I know exactly what you mean: the great and powerful Gullet...well maybe (if this is true) people will stop blaming us for their ruin when we say something we ate somewhere wasn't perfect, too :rolleyes:

But - I am always surprised by the who is wathcing us out there... I was at a place recently that has gotten the 'egullet seal of approval' and the owner/manager had printed out the thread and shared it with his friends. Needless to say - I flashed my egullet decoder ring around - and all I got was an open-handed slap to the face.

I was at a place recently that has gotten the 'egullet seal of approval' and the owner/manager had printed out the thread and shared it with his friends.  Needless to say - I flashed my egullet decoder ring around - and all I got was an open-handed slap to the face.

Clearly you were at the HSG...

:laugh:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Ack!

I was just there on Friday- Occo Bucco, linguine in Rose

a Caprese and a number 10.

I am so choked and sad for them.

It was a fantastic little place.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I drove past around 5pmish on the way home today. Closed sign was in full effect, but not knowing the hours the place keeps, I have no idea whether being closed on a Monday at 5 is bad news or situation normal. I'll leave it to the Da Francesco dining posse to comment.

Edited to add: Tuesday 5:47pm drive-by: Still closed.

Edited by snacky_cat (log)

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

There was a stabbing this past weekend near that corner...hope that is not the reason for it's closing!

Last time I ate there, they were out of pizza dough due to the high volume of pizza take-out orders they had to fulfill. In fact, they had only enough dough to make two small pizzas by the time I got there.

I had called to make a reservation and they said I didn't need one but they wanted me to arrive by no later than 8pm as it was a slow night and they were hoping to close.

I got there by 8pm but soon after, the restaurant was packed and the poor chef was frantically filling these unexpected orders.

The lone waitress was very apologetic for my late order and was surprised at how busy it got.

Seems like business is good. I would like to know why they are closed.

It's official: Da Francesco's is gone.

I drove by today and the CLOSED sign is in the window, the door is locked, and the fixtures are being disassembled.

If anyone from Da Francesco's is lurking here, please let us know what happened. Judging by the number of customers, it would seem that business was booming.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

• 3 years later...

I used to waitress at Da Francesco's, until they closed. I bumped into a customer from there and he told me that Francesco and his uncle have opened up another Italian restaurant with the same food at Burrard and Smythe. Anyone heard anything about that? A quick google seach wasn't fruitful, although I didn't try very hard.

coincidentally Lombardo's opened up a second location there about a year ago

Could it be one and the same? (I mean - knowing the backstory of Lombardo's and Marcello's).

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum