• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NY Style deli

Vancouver

No Kaplan's doesn't give the Monteal experience but they sure try to cover the bases from Smoked meat to Pastrami to Corned Beef. Theoretically all flown in from their respective places of origin (N.Y., Chicago etc.)

For someone who was brought up in Montreal this is almost heretical to say but the hot smoked meat (on) bagel at Siegels beats all the other smoked meat on rye that I've had here in Vancouver.

It's not heretical at all, it's true. And I'd prefer a wood-fired bagel for transportation than rye bread with too big a crumb and stale carraway. My only beef with Siegel's is that they only have Dijon or baseball mustard. Keen's is the only way to go--but that last mile home to get it can be hard on the nerves.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

No Kaplan's doesn't give the Monteal experience but they sure try to cover the bases from Smoked meat to Pastrami to Corned Beef. Theoretically all flown in from their respective places of origin (N.Y., Chicago etc.)

For someone who was brought up in Montreal this is almost heretical to say but the hot smoked meat (on) bagel at Siegels beats all the other smoked meat on rye that I've had here in Vancouver.

It's not heretical at all, it's true. And I'd prefer a wood-fired bagel for transportation than rye bread with too big a crumb and stale carraway. My only beef with Siegel's is that they only have Dijon or baseball mustard. Keen's is the only way to go--but that last mile home to get it can be hard on the nerves.

Trying to stay on topic....

Keen's and Bagels!

Maybe for deli cold cuts, BUT!

Montreal Smoked Meat plus Light Rye plus Deli Mustard is the only true vehicle and condiment for this rare delicacy. Otherwise it is just cold cuts warmed up on a doughy donut, maybe good...but not true to the genre!

Now...wood-fired bagels, I would do anything for a wood-fired bagel!

deli_mustard.jpg

Edited by Chef Fowke (log)

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Canada is the world's single largest exporter of mustard seed and among the top five producers in the world. More than three quarters of the mustard seed produced in Canada is destined for export. Canadian mustard seed exports are mainly in the bulk, unprocessed form. Since the latter part of the 1990's, exports have remained quite stable compared to production, fluctuating between 148 and 173 thousand tonnes. Belgium is the largest export market for Canadian mustard seed, importing around 30% of total Canadian exports in 2002, followed by the United States with 28% and by Bangladesh with 21%. For 2003, Canadian exports are expected to increase because of the higher supply(1).

http://www.agr.gc.ca/misb/spcrops/sc-cs_e....rdseed-moutarde

So the next time you taste the worlds best mustards the odds the seeds are from Canada is very good.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Hey, do not beleive me, take a look!!

gallery_8861_319_360140.jpg

This is the NEW old Montreal Style and it is good to see it in Vancouver!

Why is the sandwich so small :hmmm: ? That ain't no schwartz's smoked meat, although the fat looks about right!! It isn't a good sandwich unless the fat drips down your shirt :laugh: .

Derek

Let me try that one more time - What is the address for Phats? 

Cheers!

AS much as I would like to share, why?...WHY!

Everytime I find a new place that I like I post...THEN IT BECOMES:

1) To Busy, the lines grow and grow and I have to wait hours to get my Montreal Smoked Meat.

2) They start running out of product, I miss out on my daily fill of Montreal Smoked Meat.

3) I am no longer important...with all the increase customers I become just another Smoked Meat Addict.

And then I have to start posting endless threads about who really has the best Montreal Smoked Meat...right now I know it is the best and I do not need to justify it to anyone!!

OKAY, OKAY...it is on Mainland in Yaletown right beside GlowBal.

EAT & ENJOY...

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I went to Phat's this morning -- but was planning to go soon anyway -- so no one blame the Chef, please!!!

While doing the Yaletown stroll with my dog, husband and a Starbucks latte in hand (hey, it's the law around here!), I realized they were open for breakfast. Quickly wished I hadn't gone to Starbucks, as their espresso smelled fabulous.

In addition to their lunchtime sandwich menu, which looks delish (yes, I have a date for lunch there tomorrow) -- they also bake their own bagels, croissants and pastries -- and I have to tell you, the pastries looked great. This is NOT good news for my diet. Stopped myself from getting a chocolate croissant ... but watching the guy behind the counter drizzle chocolate over another batch tested my willpower...

We both had a bagel -- I had a toasted whole wheat bagel with plain cream cheese, he had an onion bagel with the same. Both husband and I agree that the bagels are quite good-- chewy and light, just the way I like them.

P.S. -- Edited to add that I too was brought up around NY-style delis, but thankfully I travel to NY 7-10 times a year so can get my fix that way. I am really looking forward to the Montreal smoked meat experience tomorrow.

Edited by Xando Head (log)
Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

I also hit Phats today. Hmmm. It's decent Montreal style smoke meat, likely the best in Vancouver, but it's not going to eliminate my need for an annual trip to Schwartz.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I agree with HKDave. PHAT's smoked meat is very good but I'd have to do a same day comparison with Kaplans new downtown spot. There's something about the rye bread that doesn't quite compare to what you get back East. Schwartz's is still unique and the best IMHO.

I'd love to take that spiffy little La Marzocca espresso machine home though. It seems that all the new (serious) places are dropping the big bucks for them.

I've hat PHAT twice, once a smoked meat on light rye, another was smoked meat on challa, and while it was good, I haven't been itching to go back.

They're new and still working out the kinks, so service can be a little off (and by service, I mean taking my order at the till and making my sandwich correctly and smoothly). The croissants looked amazing, but I haven't tried one yet.

The sandwiches were good, but not the crazy greasy wonderful smoked meat I had in Toronto of all places. The chopped liver was ok, a bit heavy for me but I'm a fowl liver sorta guy.

I wish Zoran's euro pastry house across the street could keep smoked salmon in stock for the smoked salmon and cream cheese sandwich. After enough failed attempts to get one, we've sorta given up on it.

As well, for anyone else in yaletown, have you tried the other two great sandwich places? Greencity on homer for their bulgogi sandwich (crusty garlic roll, sweet bulgogi beef, mustard, mayo, lettuce, tomato, dripping HEAVEN!) and Soho for their manhattan or New Yorker? Turkey, edam, avacado, mayo, dijon on a big slice of moist beautiful olive bread. Not the most obvious places for good sandwiches, but easily some of my favourites in the city.

Edited by inanimate (log)

Important Note:

When you walk in, at the door....you must scream: "Benny! I want a Phat on rye....hand cut it!'

Everything is now all good. Best Montreal Smoked Meat in Vancouver, hands down...it is the real deal (maybe their is better pastrami, but that is different...do not confuse the two!)

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I wish Zoran's euro pastry house across the street could keep smoked salmon in stock for the smoked salmon and cream cheese sandwich. After enough failed attempts to get one, we've sorta given up on it.

FYI, Zoran's has been sold and will changeover to new owners at the end of this month. For the rest of February, they are having a special on their schnitzels for $5. They are the best schnitzel sandwiches in Vancouver.

Ok, so I tried PHAT in the hopes of a wonderful deli experience. It is more of a sandwich shop than a deli. I had hoped to find brisket, but they only had the montreal smoked meat variety of it. So I had that. It was tasty, and I'll defer to those of you from Montreal as to its quality. I enjoyed it.

But I have to lean much more heavily to Kaplan's for the NY deli experience. It feels more like a deli, tastes more like a deli, and has a selection much more like a deli.

:smile:

Cheers!

Ok, so I tried PHAT in the hopes of a wonderful deli experience.  It is more of a sandwich shop than a deli.  I had hoped to find brisket, but they only had the montreal smoked meat variety of it.  So I had that.  It was tasty, and I'll defer to those of you from Montreal as to its quality.  I enjoyed it. 

But I have to lean much more heavily to Kaplan's for the NY deli experience.  It feels more like a deli, tastes more like a deli, and has a selection much more like a deli. 

Dang! I must have just missed you!

I'd have to agree with the deli vs. sandwich shop comment. Having never been to NY nor Schwartz's (been to Montreal, but only for the poutine :wink: ) I can't comment on how "authentic" the room is. Just feels like Yaletown to me. :raz:

Nor can I comment on how "authentic" the smoked meat is. It was tasty to be sure. Nice fat content ... but Brian & Neil's pastrami is still better. The bagel (pumpernickel) was really good too. Chewy but not tough.

I found the sandwich a bit pricey for what I got. Kaplans sandwiches are about the same price, but WAY bigger.

Sorry ... good sandwich, but it ain't no kolachy :laugh:

A.

Its late so I will be brief...

PHATS is serving authentic Montreal Smoked Meat, some of the best I have ever had. It ranks with both Shwartz's and The Main. 10 out of 10. I recommend everyone try it, period! You walk in, scream out Bennies name and tell him to hand cut you a PHAT on light rye with spicy Deli mustard. You must order it just like this.

Kaplan's serves a NY Style Corned Beef and Pastrami. Great stuff, make a sandwich of it, put it on a bagel, serve it with whole wheat, toasted. Kaplan's is a 10/10 deli, one of the best in the city, but it serves a product that is 7/10.

I made Pastrami (Chef Fowke's Pastrami Dreams), very different from Montreal Smoked Meat. If we need more discussion on the differences between cured beef products I would be happy to start a thread in General Food Topics.

So, in Summary: you want to eat the best Deli meat in Vancouver...pay the $12 and go to PHATS. Want some Pastrami, dish out $8 and go to Kaplan's (and sit inhouse and enjoy the scene).

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Just to clarify: I originally asked about steamed brisket in a NY style deli. Not about any type of cured meat - not pastrami, not corned beef, not Montreal smoked meat. Kaplan's does in fact offer a decent steamed brisket. So far the closest thing to NY I've had in Vancouver. I will return.

So thank you all for pointing me to the closest thing Vancouver has to a NY deli and in the process also turning up a good source for the Montreal smoked meat fans as well! :smile:

Cheers!