• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mosaic Bar & Grille

appreciator

I'm going to give everyone the Coles notes version of this, as I really can't imagine posting much else right now. Will see how things fall out as time goes by.

Anyhoo..... reservation for 3... on Wednesday @ 6 p.m. Seated promptly... we all came in within minutes of each other and the place was almost empty.

Service in the beginning was right on but did taper off a tad as more tables came in. Not many mind you, though it really wasn't a problem because we had a nice leisurely time with our meal. Not something that I think all DOV diners get to experience due to the high turnover.

One thing about the setting... while the room might be viewed as a tad cold.... the tables were beautifully set. The chairs are generous (and I like that in a chair :biggrin: ). The stand out point however, is that they had a sprig of rosemary in each of the napkins. Nothing much, but a really lovely touch.

Our food was as follows:

Two of our party had the Ginger Scallop Prawn Won Tons, Thai Lobster Sauce, and Sesame Pea Sprouts. Both enjoyed this as did the third person who managed to squeeze in a small sample.

Said third person had the Country Onion Soup, Caramelized Onions, Potato Bread Croutons, Fontina Cheese. The verdict on this was also good.... great flavour and very filling.

We accompanied these with the recommended wine, the Sumac Ridge, Pinot Blanc

On a slightly amusing note, we were actually presented with bread twice, once at the beginning of the meal and once at the end when we were drinking our coffees. Chalked it up to the fellow delivering the bread having a soft spot for one of the other gals at the table (no.... just kidding...... it was obviously meant for the table beside us :smile: ). One thing about the bread.... it was very good.... all from Ecco Il Pane.... sourdough, lavash, green olive, and potato.... all very tasty indeed.

For the entrees, two people started with the Local Mushroom Risotto, Baby Potatoes, Truffle Oil, Pecorino Romano, Garlicky Spinach and one person had the Short Rib "Pot Roast", Macaroni & Canadian Aged White Cheddar Gratin. The rib person and one of the risotto people stuck with the white while the other risotto person decided to have the Jackson Triggs, Merlot as an accompaniment. We all enjoyed our entrees though one felt the risotto could have used a bit more depth and one wondered about the garlicky spinach as it may have been missing. The rib person wondered about the pairing of the macaroni but I think that was because she isn't a big pasta fan (did manage to eat most of it though :biggrin: )

For dessert.... two in the party had the Maple Crème Brulee and the third person had the Petite Artesian Cheese Plate. The brulee was absolutely delicious and the cheese plate contained a goat cheese from the Okanagan that was to die for.

Overall..... the food was good. The service was mostly on, though as mentioned above it did drop off a bit as the evening wore on (which was not really a problem because we were enjoying the leisurely pace of the meal). The maitre'd had a lovely sense of humour and added a lightheartedness to the evening which enhanced everyone's experience.

I think this place may be one of the under rated ones out there.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Any chance anyone know the name of the Okanagan goat cheese?

Thanks for the review, Sarah.

You know.... I asked about this, and all the server said was: Okanagan Goat Cheese. So... upon googling it I get: http://www.happydaysdairy.com/products.html

However, nothing on that website shows what we encountered on the plate. I think I'll just have to pop in next time I'm near there and stick my head in the kitchen to get the real skinny.... (Oh... won't they be pleased!) It really was quite exceptional though so I will definately find out the true origins and let you know.... I want more myself - :biggrin:

For the record the cheese in question came in a circular slab... about 2 inches or so in diameter. The outside was very soft goat cheese-like consistancy and the inside layer more brie-like. I'm no cheese expert but that is the way it appeared to all of us. The flavour..... very good.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

• 4 months later...

Sorry that I’m posting in the DOV thread, but this is the only place I can find Mosaic mentioned in this forum. Commander-in-Chief, do what you must…

I’m not a big hotel-restaurant person, but sometimes there are gems. Diva is the obvious one. Well, due to relatives staying at the Hyatt last night, dinner was at Mosaic. Party of four.

For appys N and I both had the Cardini salad - Caesar but semi-deconstructed, or is that semi-constructed? Baby romaine, “garlic dressing”, fried capers, croutons, shaved parm, and two anchovy fillets in an X on top. Very crisp and fresh, the dressing was creamy and garlicy but not overpoweringly so, I quite liked it. The anchovies were a bit weird, I’d prefer them pasted into the dressing, but oh well. One note: the salad a bit heavily dressed, so if that’s not your thing, ask the kitchen to lighten up – they are very accommodating.

Another had the Mosaic salad, which was an assortment of lettuce, smoked bacon cubes (mmm), walnuts, GS apple julienned, and roqueford crème. Did not try, except for the bacon. Mmm. Fourth appy was the stuffed wontons as Appreciator mentioned above. The first bite was a little too subtle for me to pick anything up (I was eating my semi-Caesar), but the second was much more defined. It was a light texture packed with taste similar to good beef balls – insert joke here – at dim sum.

Mains were: two scallop prawn lobster risottos, NY steak, and “pot roast” short rib (mine). The risottos were lobster-based, which made them pretty luxurious to start, but then they were finished with mascarpone. Yikes! Scallops were huge, dimensions similar to a baseball steak but of course smaller and white (except for the beautiful sear), 3 per plate. Chunks of lobster abounded too. Do I have to re-mention the creamy and richness factor?

Steak was a nice rare, but served a little cool (not blue, just cool). Served with a potato gratin I think and baby string beans, neither of which I tried.

The “pot roast” was a short rib chunk deboned (after braising I presume), so it was like a cube of meat that fell apart on touch. Tase-T. Then oh man it was served with some damn rich macaroni and cheese too. Fortunately I managed to cram it all down, along with some serious samples of the others’ plates.

Dessert: I ordered (and N shared) the maple crème brulee, which was soft and subtle, but could have used a thicker crust. However the madelines and mini-mocha it was served with were pretty friggin delicious. The cookies soaked up the coffee real nice, but didn’t fall apart despite their tiny-ness. Other two shared the GS apple pie a la mode with caramel sauce. Once again, I didn’t try this because…

Here’s the thing. If you go to Mosaic for a birthday, anniversary or any sort of occasion, apparently they just give you this 6”x6”x8” tall chocolate cake. It is really huge. It is enough for 8 people easy, 12 normal people, or maybe 2-3 Lings. The four of us ate less than a quarter of the monster, after we ate the other desserts. I took the rest home, and have managed to give away a little less than half after lunch today to 3 other eGulleters. The cake is very rich, buttery chocolate, moist, not grainy. Mostly it is insane. We still have a small chocolate tower at home. And I am not really a choc-cake guy.

They took a Polaroid, I will try to get it scanned and maybe post it some day so you can appreciate the scale. Memo to Mosaic: you can serve a smaller one, say 3”x3”x6”, it will still be impressive!

Anyway, with a bottle of Quail’s Gate Reserve pinot noir 2003 it rang up to about $250 NIC tip. It was a delicious meal, our server Oscar was quite cordial, and except for a couple of minor slips (which weren’t Oscar’s fault) the evening was excellent. Sadly the room was pretty dead, so I’d agree with Appreciator - this place is flying under the radar.

Thanks for the review - based upon the taste of chocolate cake I got today - I may check out Mosaic for lunch soon.

Is the cake available otherwise? I know that this is OT - but I wonder why more of the Hotel's don't have a bakery or deli - seems like a quick and easy way to sell more product. People costs may be the issue.

Thanks for that review, BCinBC-sounds like a great location for a birthday party. I'm confused about your comments regarding the risotto-was it way to rich, or just really good rich?

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

This is a late reply to the Okanagan goat cheese question but I wonder if it was the Canlis fromaggerie which is in Kelowna just past the CedarCreek Winery. Their cheeses are amazing and well worth seeking out. Les Amis often has them and if you ever have the good fortune to eat at Fresco in Kelowna, Rod always has them on his menu. Yikes am I ever OT. I am going to get in sooooo much trouble. :unsure:

Cheers,

Karole

^^^^ Brian..... glad to hear you had, what appears to be, a mostly positive dining experience at Mosaic. I really do think it is one of those places that is just not quite catching on... for whatever reason... and I think that's a shame.

Like you, I'm not a big fan of restos in hotels but there are always exceptions.

As an aside, for those who have an entertainment book.... Mosaic is - coupon A243 - so you may want to give it a try that way and save yourself a few bucks.

I know that I will be heading back before the year is done.

sarah

Sorry that I’m posting in the DOV thread, but this is the only place I can find Mosaic mentioned in this forum. Commander-in-Chief, do what you must…

[host] For furture reference, feel free to start a new topic. The DOV threads are really particular to DOV experiences which, as we have noted in other threads, is often completely different to experiences had the remainder of the year. However, as Mosaic is not likely to start a huge amount of discussion, starting a separate thread doesn't make a lot of sense.

As you were [/host]

I'll second canucklehead's comments on the chocolate cake which BCinBC was kind enough to share with us after lunch Wednesday. I had one piece after lunch, and the other for dinner. Rich, moist, and capable of creating a sugar rush so high, the crash had me as close to a sugar-induced coma as I have ever been.

However the madelines and mini-mocha it was served with were pretty friggin delicious.

Glad to see your man enough to use the words "madelines" and "friggin" in the same sentence!

A.

Thanks for that review, BCinBC-sounds like a great location for a birthday party. I'm confused about your comments regarding the risotto-was it way to rich, or just really good rich?

Zuke

Zuke,

I suppose with all tastes it is a matter of, well, taste. I loved the richness, it is one of those things that makes you think, "Too good, must be sinful." But I, like most eGulleters, can switch on the garburator and consume just about anything. N, on the other hand, ended up eating pretty much the whole thing and regretted it later, so I'd say it was too rich for her. (Tho remember that it was piled on top of the Caesar, and afterwards there was some creme brulee and chocolate cake piled on as well.)

I know Lumiere finishes risotto with mascarpone, and I'm sure many other places do it too. Personally I've never seen the need, but then again maybe that's the difference between "fine dining" and "normal dining".

One final note before I bow out of this DOV thread, the figure I gave above includes two Glenlivets, so it actually worked out to less than $60 pp plus tip. A relative bargain given the quality!

Here’s the thing. If you go to Mosaic for a birthday, anniversary or any sort of occasion, apparently they just give you this 6”x6”x8” tall chocolate cake. It is really huge. It is enough for 8 people easy, 12 normal people, or maybe 2-3 Lings. The four of us ate less than a quarter of the monster, after we ate the other desserts. I took the rest home, and have managed to give away a little less than half after lunch today to 3 other eGulleters. The cake is very rich, buttery chocolate, moist, not grainy. Mostly it is insane. We still have a small chocolate tower at home. And I am not really a choc-cake guy.

They took a Polaroid, I will try to get it scanned and maybe post it some day so you can appreciate the scale. Memo to Mosaic: you can serve a smaller one, say 3”x3”x6”, it will still be impressive!

Interesting how different people respond to this. My office used to be in Bentall 2 so Mosaic was a regular lunch spot for celebrating office birthdays. Lots of my colleagues loved those giant cakes, but I was horrified. Give me a great lemon tart over one of those anytime.

I can attest that it is a great way to impress an 8 year old though. A friend's niece still talks about her birthday lunch at Mosaic.

Cheers,

Anne